+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tipping Point

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tipping Point

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Im not sure where Alfie fits in with being a " celebrity " ex rugby player doesnt cut it, being gay doesnt either, he does appear rather keen to crack it though
    He can be criticised for a lot of things, but I don't think not being famous enough to be deemed a celebrity is one of them. He is far more well known than many who appear on these shows. There have been celebrity editions of quizzes where I've never even seen any of them before, let alone know their names or what they've done.

Whatever the bar is to be on a celebrity edition, he is certainly above it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He can be criticised for a lot of things, but I don't think not being famous enough to be deemed a celebrity is one of them. He is far more well known than many who appear on these shows. There have been celebrity editions of quizzes where I've never even seen any of them before, let alone know their names or what they've done.

I didnt mean being a " celebrity game show contestant " ( he is welcome to that ), Alfie wants to be a celebrity, but being a ex rugby player or gay doesn't cut it, he is giving it a go though

I didnt mean being a " celebrity game show contestant " ( he is welcome to that ), Alfie wants to be a celebrity, but being a ex rugby player or gay doesn't cut it, he is giving it a go though
    I did understand what you meant.

The bar for being a celebrity is really low. Of course he 'cuts it'. Everyone here knows who he is. I bet everyone in our families know who he is. There are people who become so-called celebrities just for being a girlfriend/boyfriend of someone else, but he at least has achievements in his own name.

You may not like him because he played rugby or he's gay, that's up to you, but he is well known. I'm not sure how that can be disputed.

You may not like him because he played rugby or he's gay, that's up to you, but he is well known. I'm not sure how that can be disputed.
    just for the record, i never said i didnt like him because he played rugby or he's gay, infact i didnt even say i didnt like him

just for the record, i never said i didnt like him because he played rugby or he's gay, infact i didnt even say i didnt like him
    Yes, you didn't say that explicitly. I used 'may' because for some reason it's the impression I got.

Pedantry aside, the definition of celebrity has been watered down a lot in the past 15 or so years, and by any stretch of the current one, Gareth Thomas is one.

Yes, you didn't say that explicitly. I used 'may' because for some reason it's the impression I got.

Pedantry aside, the definition of celebrity has been watered down a lot in the past 15 or so years, and by any stretch of the current one, Gareth Thomas is one.
    https://www.historyextra.com/period/...s-how-fortune/

The Historian Greg Jenner has a book about the history of Celebrity, and he defines it such:

When I began writing, I made the foolish assumption that there would be a clear-cut definition of celebrity. But a year-and-a-half later, I still couldn’t find one. So I’ve come up with my own.

Firstly, a celebrity has to have something about them that’s distinctive, recognisable and iconic. They are someone who is known to strangers, but they don’t know the strangers in return – that’s called ‘parasocial intimacy’ – and their fame is spread through the mass media: they appear in newspapers and on the telly and radio.

But it’s not enough for someone to be professionally interesting – they also need to have a private life that is fascinating to the public. On this basis, I would make the controversial argument that Sir David Attenborough is not a celebrity because, while I know an enormous amount about his career, I don’t know anything about his life.

Finally, I would argue that celebrity requires the existence of a commercial marketplace based on the person’s fame – basically a micro-economy where other people can make money from them.

By that definition I'd say Thomas meets the first criteria, and possibly the second, but I'm not sure that he would the third - maybe.

p.s. Check out Greg Jenner's "you're dead to me" podcasts on BBS sounds - they're brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://www.historyextra.com/period/...s-how-fortune/

The Historian Greg Jenner has a book about the history of Celebrity, and he defines it such:

By that definition I'd say Thomas meets the first criteria, and possibly the second, but I'm not sure that he would the third - maybe.

p.s. Check out Greg Jenner's "you're dead to me" podcasts on BBS sounds - they're brilliant
    I guess they all have agents, which is the third one. And I think he does ads for Guinness.

But as far as this discussion goes, it's 'do they fit a TV show with the word Celebrity in the title'.

Your impression is wrong then, i am indifferent with my feelings for Alfie

except for questioning where he will fit in to the celebrity world

Your impression is wrong then, i am indifferent with my feelings for Alfie

except for questioning where he will fit in to the celebrity world
    Of course

International

That reminds me of domething I heard on the radio today.

Bette Midler once said, " I have my standards, they're very low, but I do have some!" I think that's brilliant