+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Paul Merson and his gambling addiction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Paul Merson and his gambling addiction

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    His "mate" Jeff Stelling and his employer Sky should have a look at their part in glorifying gambling in their ads.
    The betting ads are just wrong. I thank God that gambling has never interested me and never will but I do know that it’s tearing some families apart. It’s a terrible addiction without brakes, you drink too much you fall over, you take drugs you flake out eventually, gambling, you just look for more money to chase the losses. How there hasn’t been an outcry and a ban I’ll never know.........and the smug ‘celebs’ who are enticing mug punters need to have a good look at themselves, mercenary bastards!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The betting ads are just wrong. I thank God that gambling has never interested me and never will but I do know that it’s tearing some families apart. It’s a terrible addiction without brakes, you drink too much you fall over, you take drugs you flake out eventually, gambling, you just look for more money to chase the losses. How there hasn’t been an outcry and a ban I’ll never know.........and the smug ‘celebs’ who are enticing mug punters need to have a good look at themselves, mercenary bastards!!
    Those diagrams showing how Merson reacted to gambling images compared to things like food, family and holiday images were so revealing - the poor sods that are hit hardest by the gambling bug have no chance really and the programme had me thinking there but for the grace of God go I.

I’ve never been a gambler, but if I were, I’d stop using Ladbrookes who didn’t even respond when asked about the issues raised in the programme - that said, they’re all as bad as each other and I agree about the smug celebs.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

Both drinking excessively and an addiction to drugs can also come at a high financial cost. There was a time when the only thing that could put a temporary rein on my alcohol addiction was that I didn't have any more money left to buy alcohol.

The visual representation of Merson's brain and what stimulates it was fascinating - and educated those of us who have never fully appreciated what is involved regarding such conditions.