+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Player recruitment and development

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Player recruitment and development

Using Erics logic then Jordon Mutch, David Marshall, Steven Caulker, Jay Bothroyd went on to play Premier League after leaving Cardiff in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Using Erics logic then Jordon Mutch, David Marshall, Steven Caulker, Jay Bothroyd went on to play Premier League after leaving Cardiff in the last decade.
    Kevin Peadophile Catherine another one who played Ligue 1 after leaving City.

Juan Cala and Javi Guerra La Liga.

Should have kept Ole in charge in that 2013/14 season and not let Slade rip that team up.

Kevin Peadophile Catherine another one who played Ligue 1 after leaving City.

Juan Cala and Javi Guerra La Liga.
    Didn't they all come from top-flight teams anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Didn't they all come from top-flight teams anyway?
    And?

Several players who you named in your OP come from top flight teams? or played top flight?

Or are you changing the goalposts to suit your agenda?

And?

Several players who you named in your OP come from top flight teams? or played top flight?

Or are you changing the goalposts to suit your agenda?
    Let me ask you a question: do you think Cardiff City Football Club has been one that has recruited well and where a good percentage of players have developed significantly during the last decade or so?

Let me ask you a question: do you think Cardiff City Football Club has been one that has recruited well and where a good percentage of players have developed significantly during the last decade or so?
    Depends how you look at it. Whilst we may have not developed many young players we have been promoted twice to the Premier League in that time. So we obviously made some players better.

Every club would like to get promoted with a team full of developed players but how often is that the case? Most clubs buy their way out of this division. Thats just the way it is.

Lets cut the bullshit, this is just another of your threads with the hidden message being an attack on Vincent Tan.

Let it go mun.

Lets cut the bullshit, this is just another of your threads with the hidden message being an attack on Vincent Tan.
    Oh yeah, that's the 'agenda', of course it is.....

As it happens, I believe Tan is largely blameless for this area of the club's operations. As often as not, he's backed his managers with reasonable sums of money. The problem is that, by and large, they've brought in players that either aren't capable of progressing past Championship level or aren't even good enough for the second tier.

It's telling that, of the players the last manager assembled last year for a tilt at the Premier League, only two are playing top flight football this season. One, who was here on loan, can't even get on Crystal Palace's bench, while the other is turning out for a side who are 17th in the French league.

My answer to this would be that we haven't done as well with signing players for little and selling them for lots to bigger clubs (or as well with bringing players through as youngsters) since the days of Ridsdale and Hammam. That's not any agenda against Tan or Dato Chen Ghee. I think that's factually obvious.

Another interesting question might be to ask how many players we've made a profit from in recent seasons. I don't think there's many at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My answer to this would be that we haven't done as well with signing players for little and selling them for lots to bigger clubs (or as well with bringing players through as youngsters) since the days of Ridsdale and Hammam. That's not any agenda against Tan or Dato Chen Ghee. I think that's factually obvious.

Another interesting question might be to ask how many players we've made a profit from in recent seasons. I don't think there's many at all.
    You could put Ridsdale, Hammam and Warnock in the same bracket of individuals who were operating for their own self gain and not the good of the football club.

Mutch and Marshall are reasonable examples of players who actually developed here and went on to play at a higher level with other clubs, although it didn't go particularly well for either of them.

Caulker came from the Premier League, only played for City in the Premier League and went to another Premier League club. That could hardly be described as development.

As for Bothroyd, he'd already played for two clubs in the Premier League and in Serie A before he came here.

But hey, if these players fit your agenda, then so be it.

Mutch and Marshall are reasonable examples of players who actually developed here and went on to play at a higher level with other clubs, although it didn't go particularly well for either of them.

Caulker came from the Premier League, only played for City in the Premier League and went to another Premier League club. That could hardly be described as development.

As for Bothroyd, he'd already played for two clubs in the Premier League and in Serie A before he came here.

But hey, if these players fit your agenda, then so be it.

I certainly will use Jay Bothroyd as an example of a player who Cardiff developed into a better player. Always had the talent but it was nurtured to its fullest at Cardiff.