Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
Who would you like to see at the helm, Jon?
If the Labour Party remains a 'broad church social democratic party' with organisational, political and financial roots in the trade union movement, I would be happy to see a unity leader who could draw support from all sides like Andy Burnham. He is of the 'soft left' as I think it was once called, is experienced in Westminster (Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet), refused to take part in the Chicken Coup against Corbyn, and has shown the scope for local/regional political and social action as Mayor of Greater Manchester. I think he has credibility, experience and the skills needed to hold the PLP and wider Labour Party together.

Burnham can't stand at the moment under the current rules as he isn't an MP. I would also prefer to see Labour finally electing a woman as leader. But I think he is the best bet.

The Labour left don't have any obvious candidates. Some have the same strengths and weaknesses as Corbyn (great campaigners and communicators with live audiences, but poor as party managers or at the Westminster ritual). I like Clive Lewis, Dawn Butler and a wider group of younger (often black and female) Campaign Group MPs - but they don't tick enough boxes to survive.

If the FPTP system is dumped for PR, and at the same time Labour cuts its ties to the trades union movement, my automatic support for Labour would be gone. In that situation I would back the British Melenchon - whoever that might be.