+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slimming World

Re: Slimming World

[QUOTE

Quote Originally Posted by David Lemma View Post
    It really isn't (not healthy)..it's quite a common rate to lose at.
    Is it bollocks

Dieticians with the NHS suggest a weight loss of a pound a week

That's a crash diet and in the vast majority of cases people put the pounds back on , as they do with weight watchers and slimmers world, both huge money bakers

You may have lost a shed load of weight and also others on here but if it stays off it's a rarity

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Currently on a Keto kick.

I piled on the pounds straight after I was vaccinated, started eating out a lot.

Down 11 lb in 2 weeks.
    Hope to shift another 10 then maintain with calories and exercise.
    5 and a half pound in two weeks ?

The evidence suggests that's way too fast

Good luck though

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    If you take a overweight dog or cat to a vet, they’ll tell you to cut down the animals food intake and exercise more, why are humans any different?

That’s all we need is a simple calorie calculator for your daily allowance of calories, don’t go too low with it and don’t exclude any food groups and exercise throughout the week whether that’s a little walk or a marathon.
    Exactly

Intake of food

Intake of calorie heavy food

Exercise

Acceptance of genetics ......People who are naturally muscular will shift weight more than skinny people if they use weights and eat healthily

People who are skinny don't have that advantage so need to be very strict with what they eat

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    4 pound a week ?

That's not healthy
    Is it bollocks

Dieticians with the NHS suggest a weight loss of a pound a week

That's a crash diet and in the vast majority of cases people put the pounds back on , as they do with weight watchers and slimmers world, both huge money bakers

You may have lost a shed load of weight and also others on here but if it stays off it's a rarity
    If you are simplistically telling me a rate of 4 lb a week is in every case unhealthy then sorry we will just have to disagree. It's not average, but is not uncommon at all. As for whether it stays off or not being a rarity it's an achievement you either fail at or you achieve - that is the failure of the person's overall life skills over and above anything else. If you are looking for long term good weight/health then do the work and research in getting to that - if you have a lot to lose and don't mind losing it over a matter of years, with no rush regarding the meantime effects on your health, by all means go ahead with slow weight loss, but at the same time independent of that short term dieting for weight loss is effective and shouldn't be scoffed at or completely written off. One size certainly does not fit all.

5 and a half pound in two weeks ?

The evidence suggests that's way too fast

Good luck though
    A lot of it is water weight.
    My beer gut has halved though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    A lot of it is water weight.
    My beer gut has halved though.
    Good on you mate. I did Keto a year or so ago. I'm not a big bloke, 5ft 7 and was weighing in at 12st4. I really felt it around my stomach area, really tight feeling. I got down to 10st 10 in about 8 weeks. Couldn't keep it at that, but currently knocking about the 11st 2 mark, and happy with that. Good luck

in my case eat general foods moderately , eat junk food moderately , only drink alcohol on weekends but the trick is regular exercise

running and exercise hard 3 times a week for the last 5 months has seen a great improvement for me .Feeling fitter now than i was 15 years ago and don't bother even checking my weight these days just feel alot better both mentally and physically . just hope i can keep it up throughout the winter months !

If you are simplistically telling me a rate of 4 lb a week is in every case unhealthy then sorry we will just have to disagree. It's not average, but is not uncommon at all. As for whether it stays off or not being a rarity it's an achievement you either fail at or you achieve - that is the failure of the person's overall life skills over and above anything else. If you are looking for long term good weight/health then do the work and research in getting to that - if you have a lot to lose and don't mind losing it over a matter of years, with no rush regarding the meantime effects on your health, by all means go ahead with slow weight loss, but at the same time independent of that short term dieting for weight loss is effective and shouldn't be scoffed at or completely written off. One size certainly does not fit all.
    Be very careful David Lemma, you're dealing with an expert on everything here

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Be very careful David Lemma, you're dealing with an expert on everything here
    Well I know for a fact that dai lemma , as he's also known is not a qualified NHS dietician

Whereas the one pound a week weight loss target is the one those very people , who surely know their stuff , preach

Dai is also known by another name and he gives similar advice , unsurprisingly

Both are incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Good on you mate. I did Keto a year or so ago. I'm not a big bloke, 5ft 7 and was weighing in at 12st4. I really felt it around my stomach area, really tight feeling. I got down to 10st 10 in about 8 weeks. Couldn't keep it at that, but currently knocking about the 11st 2 mark, and happy with that. Good luck
    That suggests that these diets don't work as you have lost a lot in 8 weeks and put a lot of it back on

Well you are not an NHS dietician and that's what they think so you better e mail them pronto

Short term crash and replacement diets are ineffective in that they are generally not maintained

It's all very well losing 2 stone for a wedding but if 3 months later it's all back on then that diet is clearly a failure

Sludge i don’t agree at all.

Depends on individual people and how it’s done

4lb a week is perfectly healthy for the body it’s just whether the mind can cope

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    in my case eat general foods moderately , eat junk food moderately , only drink alcohol on weekends but the trick is regular exercise

running and exercise hard 3 times a week for the last 5 months has seen a great improvement for me .Feeling fitter now than i was 15 years ago and don't bother even checking my weight these days just feel alot better both mentally and physically . just hope i can keep it up throughout the winter months !
    The Mozzer Plan

When's the book out ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    My ex used to do slimming world, biggest load of shite going. "today is a green day so I can eat this mountain of pasta". The best version for me is to eat a bit less, be a bit more active and avoid sweet things sugar OR artificial sweetners
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    That's not how Slimming World works. It is all about getting you used to eating smaller portions of healthy foods.
    I was thinking of Weight Watchers, not Slimming World. I don't have experience of Slimming World.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I was thinking of Weight Watchers, not Slimming World. I don't have experience of Slimming World.
    apology accepted

That suggests that these diets don't work as you have lost a lot in 8 weeks and put a lot of it back on
    Sludge, i was never going to stay at 10 st 10, i don't have the shape. I weigh in now between 11 and 11st 2. That shows that it does work if you maintain a sensible diet.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Sludge i don’t agree at all.

Depends on individual people and how it’s done

4lb a week is perfectly healthy for the body it’s just whether the mind can cope
    Are you basing this on any research ?

Because if you are then I am certain that NHS dieticians would have heard of it

One pound a week is what they say is the right rate of weight loss

So 4 pounds , if we are accepting these people know what they are talking about , is clearly not

One of the problems with losing too much weight in a week is your likely to be losing muscle as well which isnt great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    One of the problems with losing too much weight in a week is your likely to be losing muscle as well which isnt great.
    Indeed

It's not good for you

Boxers and body builders starve themselves before a competition but they have plenty of muscle density in back up

Because if you are then I am certain that NHS dieticians would have heard of it
    Lol saying that doesn't make your opinions that of an NHS dietician 😅 I would be quite confident I am more well read on it than you and my access to advice from Fellows of the Royal College of Physicians is better than yours.😆👍

Indeed

It's not good for you

Boxers and body builders starve themselves before a competition but they have plenty of muscle density in back up
    Don't worry about muscle wastage if you are fat enough for your body fat % to be a problem. The muscle wastage will become a problem well after you have lost the weight. Also muscle wastage can be minimised to a degree with exercise.

I went from 17 and a bit stone to 10 and a half stone, and I'm 11 stone 5 months later.

I went from 17 and a bit stone to 10 and a half stone, and I'm 11 stone 5 months later.
    Wow Mate...Well Done!
    How long did it take?

I lost 3 stone in 6 months during lockdown by calorie counting on My Fitness Pal. I don’t really need to do it now but I still do, I’ve put on about 2lbs in over a year so I’m not concerned!

The biggest thing I learnt was portion control and what foods are high in calories etc. I could eat what I wanted, within reason, so I never craved anything. Cutting out the booze was a big thing! It’s helped me make actual lasting changes rather than a fad diet etc