+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Clive Tyldesley calls for co-commentators to receive training on racial stereotyping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Clive Tyldesley calls for co-commentators to receive training on racial stereotyping

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    I know you know that but plenty seem to misconstrue.

I respect your view but fundamentally disagree because it's possible to acknowledge the great work he did for the cause of black players whilst also acknowledging racist comments made. On balance, for me, his actions as WBA manager improved the footballing lives of many, broke the barriers for many of the current generation of footballers whilst his comments have tarnished his individual legacy.

He helped many, damaged himself.
    But this, to me, demonstrates a certain, albeit small willingness to turn a blind eye to a stupid, racist comment. By way of comparison, do people still talk about a paradox with Jimmy Savile, saying he damaged himself with his many, horrendous paedophilic acts but helped many through his charity work? No, they don't. We need the same zero tolerance towards casual racism.

Re: Clive Tyldesley calls for co-commentators to receive training on racial stereotyping

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But this, to me, demonstrates a certain, albeit small willingness to turn a blind eye to a stupid, racist comment. By way of comparison, do people still talk about a paradox with Jimmy Savile, saying he damaged himself with his many, horrendous paedophilic acts but helped many through his charity work? No, they don't. We need the same zero tolerance towards casual racism.
    Hardly turning a blind eye to anything, I've condemned the comments made.

In the same way, you can praise Saville for his ciartiy work whilst condemning the alleged paedophilia - and using "alleged" only due to not being tested in a court of law.