Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
You say Labour's defeat was an example of tactical voting that reduced the Labour vote. That is your opinion. In fact, passing off that opinion as fact is a fabrication in your own mind and a reflection of your own leftish views. How do my words "a crushing defeat for the Tories" equate to my brushing what happened to the Tories under the carpet?

You should know that bi elections are completely different to General Elections where local issues seem to come to the fore and the tendency is always to vote against the Party in power. HS2 was the real issue in that constituency. However I doubt whether the level of Tory defeat was expected by the Tories.

It was a shocking result for the Tories as it was for Labour but your analysis is simply a fabrication of what you think happened. I note the heading of your post indicates it was a hammering for the Conservatives but it was for Labour as well. The next bi election might be an opportunity to gauge the extent of Labour support. If Labour don't win that with a very good candidate they are finished.
There’s so much a could say in reply to this, but I can’t be bothered, so I’ll just make a couple of comments. First I gave the thread that title because there’s a thread on this page talking about Labour’s hammering at Hartlepool - I used “hammering” for no other reason than that. Second, if you really think the six hundred or whatever the figure is a true reflection of the size of Labour’s support in the constituency then I believe you are deluding yourself. I know what I would have done as a regular Labour voter if I lived in Chesham and Amersham, I would have put that to one side and voted for the party which stood the best chance of keeping the Tory out - I’m not saying that the Labour support would be huge in that constituency, but, clearly lots of of people chose to do that and the Lib Dem majority was enhanced because of it.