+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hammering For Labour In Hartlepool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hammering For Labour In Hartlepool

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Blaming Labour solely for what happened in 2008 is just as bonkers as blaming the what's in it for me party for the origin of the pandemic. If the Labour party was responsible for 2008 in any way it was for following deregulatory policies even more enthusiastically than the Thatcher/Major Governments did - the financial crash was down to failures of capitalism and libertarianism as bankers took advantage of freedoms caused by a worldwide roll back of regulation.

Both Conservatives and Labour were united on what to do following the financial crash and I've never heard any tories saying that the y would have not brought in the policies Brown followed that caused the crash because they were were too left wing - they were right of centre policies which caused what happened in 2008.

Coming up to date, goats said I would be upset today because of what's happening so far in the elections because Labour are doing poorly. While I'd say it's disappointing because I've nearly always voted Labour in my life, the truth is that, increasingly, my politics are first and foremost anti Conservative and I haven't voted Labour with any enthusiasm in ages.

In the so called Tory landslide of 2019, there were, rounding down, 47 million people eligible to vote, 14 million, rounding up, of which voted Conservative. Therefore, out of eligible voters, more than two thirds did not vote Conservative. Of course, many of them would have been apathetic tories who were sure their party was going to win and there would have been Conservatives who would not have been able to vote for whatever reason. However, it's clearly true that far more people who had the right to vote did not feel they could vote Conservative than those who did.

With our voting system, that always happens no matter who wins, but, as has been remarked already, with the main opposition party falling into the normal left v right infighting which some in it appear to think is the main reason for its existence, I believe there are an awful lot of people like me, who long for an electable and coherent alternative to the Conservatives that has a realistic chance of winning.

The Labour party became an irrelevance in Scotland and still don't seem to have realised it yet and it's heading towards the same situation in the UK unless it realises that the real enemy are the lot who have formed the Government for almost thirty of the last forty years - if they cannot do that and prefer to continue rowing amongst themselves, then they're not worth saying.
    And almost 70% didn't vote Labour in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    And almost 70% didn't vote Labour in 2019.
    Er, that's why I said "with our voting system, that always happens no matter who wins". Also, with only ten million out of forty seven million eligible votes, Labour would have loved to have got more than thirty per cent of it but it was the what's in it for me party who had "almost 70 per cent" not voting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Er, that's why I said "with our voting system, that always happens no matter who wins". Also, with only ten million out of forty seven million eligible votes, Labour would have loved to have got more than thirty per cent of it but it was the what's in it for me party who had "almost 70 per cent" not voting for them.
    Dont get your argument. Conservatives got over 42% of vote in 2019, so 58% didn’t vote for them. Labour got over 32% of vote, so 68% didn't vote for them. What does that prove, apart from more people didn't vote for Labour than didn't vote for Conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Dont get your argument. Conservatives got over 42% of vote in 2019, so 58% didn’t vote for them. Labour got over 32% of vote, so 68% didn't vote for them. What does that prove, apart from more people didn't vote for Labour than didn't vote for Conservatives.
    I was talking about the eligible vote (including people who didn't vote). Things like the votes to impeach Trump needed a two thirds majority (66 per cent) to be carry and yet both Conservative and Labour Governments have been given what is virtually absolute power when less than one third of the eligible voters have backed them.