+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bob Monkhouse's last live show on iplayer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Bob Monkhouse's last live show on iplayer

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The Golden Shot used to be broadcast at Sunday tea times to huge audiences, it seemed like everyone used to watch it at the time. Wonder how it would have got on today in competition with the football on Sky?
    Different times eh, two iconic game shows, most probably the biggest of the week, screened during that Sunday afternoon slot. Golden Shot & Bullseye. Pubs shut at 2pm, The Big Match when having your dinner, then the game shows. One time of the week when the family were together at home I s’pose. Strange how in those years I always remember being out playing football, cricket or just generally messing about yet I remember being in watching these shows. Perhaps I could be in two places at one time during those halcyon days

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Different times eh, two iconic game shows, most probably the biggest of the week, screened during that Sunday afternoon slot. Golden Shot & Bullseye. Pubs shut at 2pm, The Big Match when having your dinner, then the game shows. One time of the week when the family were together at home I s’pose. Strange how in those years I always remember being out playing football, cricket or just generally messing about yet I remember being in watching these shows. Perhaps I could be in two places at one time during those halcyon days
    I was far more into rugby in the seventies and eighties than I am now and I think one of the reasons for that is that, especially once I got my black and white portable telly for my O level results from my parents, Rugby Special was part of my Sunday afternoon ritual, as was Ski Sunday with David Vine. I've mentioned before on here that I love watching old editions of Match of the Day ad the Big Match on You Tube and I've recently discovered someone who posts old rugby matches from forty and fifty years ago on there. I'm pretty embarrassed to say that at tea time yesterday I was watching a game between Lydney and Sale on You Tube from an edition of Rugby Special from 1983 I think it was with Nigel Starmer-Smith commenating - Christ, I need help

There was usually a film on too. Sundays we were weird as **** in the '70s. Everything was closed. Farming Diary on the telly. The Addams family at 11:30am if you were lucky. Does anyone remember that show "Wait 'til Your Father Get's Home"? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There was usually a film on too. Sundays we were weird as **** in the '70s. Everything was closed. Farming Diary on the telly. The Addams family at 11:30am if you were lucky. Does anyone remember that show "Wait 'til Your Father Get's Home"? WTF?
    Your ‘everything was closed’ line hit home. Thinking about it now, do we really need all shops and supermarkets open on a Sunday? Leisure places, yes, people do need to have down time from work and I’d feel for the poor buggers working in that industry. There’s enough time in the week with big stores open until late on weekdays for customers to stock up, does everyone’s fridge and freezer really need topping up on a Sunday?

It was good to see some shops closed and giving their staff Boxing Day off the other week!, it’s only fair, surely everyone had enough stuff in to scrape through one day.

Younger folk won’t remember when Sunday was a lot more relaxed and not just another hectic day. I sometimes think the days of a Sunday ‘off’ were better all around, certainly for family life and recharging your batteries for the week ahead. Perhaps I’m just an old fart hankering for the past but in my opinion some ways were better.

Your ‘everything was closed’ line hit home. Thinking about it now, do we really need all shops and supermarkets open on a Sunday? Leisure places, yes, people do need to have down time from work and I’d feel for the poor buggers working in that industry. There’s enough time in the week with big stores open until late on weekdays for customers to stock up, does everyone’s fridge and freezer really need topping up on a Sunday?

It was good to see some shops closed and giving their staff Boxing Day off the other week!, it’s only fair, surely everyone had enough stuff in to scrape through one day.

Younger folk won’t remember when Sunday was a lot more relaxed and not just another hectic day. I sometimes think the days of a Sunday ‘off’ were better all around, certainly for family life and recharging your batteries for the week ahead. Perhaps I’m just an old fart hankering for the past but in my opinion some ways were better.
    Back in the 70s, a good portion of my Dad’s Sunday morning was taken up by him doing the Sunday morning shopping. Looking back, I don’t understand why it had to be done at that time when it could have been done on the previous day, but it always had to be on a Sunday. We lived in Pentrebane right on the edge of the City and my Dad’s shopping trip consisted of either a drive to Rhiwbina or to Neville Street in Canton - the one in Rhiwbina was probably closer, but it would take much longer because it always had a long queue waiting to be served which at times stretched out on to the street.

One thing I’ve found since I stopped working is that sometimes days can all merge into one to the extent that it’s hard to remember what day it is, but back in the 60s and 70s you always knew when it was a Sunday, it had a completely different feel to it and, like you, I feel the old style “day of rest” had its good points.