+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fascism?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Fascism?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There's no attempt to silence. Just stating my position.

That you interpret that as an attempt to silence may mean that other things are equally misinterpreted as fascism?

I see no evidence of it whatsoever to be honest. Our prime minister has been held to account by the press, by the judiciary and by protesters in recent months. Having been democratically elected in 2019 he stood down and the new leader will face an election within the next 3 years.

I do have concerns about creeping authoritarianism, most notably about an economy shifting away from cash which I consider a very dangerous precedent, the power of big tech, as well as the ease with which Covid restrictions were imposed and stuck, but I don't think we are remotely close to fascism.
    If you seriously think that Boris Johnson "has been held to account by the press" then you are seriously deluded or perhaps you are just guilty of doing what you constantly accuse others of i.e. misinterpreting your own bias into fact.

The majority of our media were besotted with him and most remain so, mainly as he did their owners bidding and are now awaiting their reward. You may have noticed the concerted campaigns against the Commons Standards committee due to them actually holding him to account.

May I ask where the judiciary have held him to account in recent months?

Protestors? How very dare they! Never mind, they have legislation in hand to stop that nonsense.

Your final paragraph could have been written by Wales-Bales or Organ Morgan so I'll ignore that as I do them.

Re: Fascism?

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    If you seriously think that Boris Johnson "has been held to account by the press" then you are seriously deluded or perhaps you are just guilty of doing what you constantly accuse others of i.e. misinterpreting your own bias into fact.

The majority of our media were besotted with him and most remain so, mainly as he did their owners bidding and are now awaiting their reward. You may have noticed the concerted campaigns against the Commons Standards committee due to them actually holding him to account.

May I ask where the judiciary have held him to account in recent months?

Protestors? How very dare they! Never mind, they have legislation in hand to stop that nonsense.

Your final paragraph could have been written by Wales-Bales or Organ Morgan so I'll ignore that as I do them.
    Just to be clear:

1/Most British people wanted the PM to resign, and he did.
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ma...125507669.html

2/Much of the media criticised him for weeks on end with no repurcussions. Many called for him to resign. He did.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...alls-to-resign

3/Boris Johnson was fined by the police for a criminal act.

4/ People daily protested against Boris Johnson in person and online with no repurcussions.

NONE Of the above happens in fascist states. To say the UK is fascist, or slipping anywhere near it is ridiculous at best and rather an insult to the genuine victims of fascism throughout history at worst. Shock jocks like James O'Brien may peddle this stuff, but it doesn't make it true. The very fact people are allowed to peddle it is evidence itself that what they are saying is not true.

Fundementally, you don't agree with everything he did, which is absolutely fair enought, and the media, the police, the people were free to hold him to account and now he is soon to be replaced.

Rather than an example of fascism, it is in fact a rather good example of exactly how liberal democracies can and do work.