+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Five years ago today.

Five years ago today.

If Nigel Farage had his way, today would be a public holiday, because it's the fifth anniversary of "independence day" when the UK voted to leave the EU. There's an interesting story in today's Guardian about it, not so much for what the writers conclude, but for the results of a survey about what people feel about Brexit now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-referendum-eu

Some of the findings from the survey remind me of my own feelings before the Referendum when I was very much in the not sure what to do camp. One of the reasons for my uncertainty was that, as someone who was old enough (I was in my late teens when the first Referendum to enter what was then called the Common Market took place), I couldn't say I noticed much difference between what the UK was like before we "went into Europe" and after it (in saying that, we had much more manufacturing industry in the early seventies, as well as significant coal and steel industries, than we do now), so I figured that the difference to my life would be pretty minor whatever the result of the 2016 vote.

If I had to pick the two main reasons for me voting Remain in the end, I would say that, first, I just could not bring myself to side with someone like Farage and, second, i did not want to be sided with people who called the country that was voting Remain or Leave England, not the United Kingdom, like so many Leave supporters I heard interviewed did in the lead up to the vote.

According to jacob Rees-Mogg, it's going to be another forty five years before we start seeing the real benefits of Brexit and so it seems that me, definitely, and many others on here maybe will never find our whether we made the right decision or not.

One thing the 2016 vote did for me though was put me off Referendums - I can remember many Scots saying that they found the 2014 independence vote a depressing experience because of the sort of feelings it brought to the fore on both sides of the divide and, having experienced 2016, I know now exactly what they meant.

Whether it was the lies put on the side of a bus by the Leave side or the endless "project fear" claims made by the likes of Cameron and Osborne on the Remain side that got more ludicrous as the vote got closer, it all helped make for a pitifully low quality debate which had so many consequences that we still see today including the emboldening through a feeling of vindication of a minority of racists among the Leave voters.

Whoever was right or whoever was wrong, I think we're a more fractious and intolerant country now than we were five years ago.

Re: Five years ago today.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If Nigel Farage had his way, today would be a public holiday, because it's the fifth anniversary of "independence day" when the UK voted to leave the EU. There's an interesting story in today's Guardian about it, not so much for what the writers conclude, but for the results of a survey about what people feel about Brexit now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-referendum-eu

Some of the findings from the survey remind me of my own feelings before the Referendum when I was very much in the not sure what to do camp. One of the reasons for my uncertainty was that, as someone who was old enough (I was in my late teens when the first Referendum to enter what was then called the Common Market took place), I couldn't say I noticed much difference between what the UK was like before we "went into Europe" and after it (in saying that, we had much more manufacturing industry in the early seventies, as well as significant coal and steel industries, than we do now), so I figured that the difference to my life would be pretty minor whatever the result of the 2016 vote.

If I had to pick the two main reasons for me voting Remain in the end, I would say that, first, I just could not bring myself to side with someone like Farage and, second, i did not want to be sided with people who called the country that was voting Remain or Leave England, not the United Kingdom, like so many Leave supporters I heard interviewed did in the lead up to the vote.

According to jacob Rees-Mogg, it's going to be another forty five years before we start seeing the real benefits of Brexit and so it seems that me, definitely, and many others on here maybe will never find our whether we made the right decision or not.

One thing the 2016 vote did for me though was put me off Referendums - I can remember many Scots saying that they found the 2014 independence vote a depressing experience because of the sort of feelings it brought to the fore on both sides of the divide and, having experienced 2016, I know now exactly what they meant.

Whether it was the lies put on the side of a bus by the Leave side or the endless "project fear" claims made by the likes of Cameron and Osborne on the Remain side that got more ludicrous as the vote got closer, it all helped make for a pitifully low quality debate which had so many consequences that we still see today including the emboldening through a feeling of vindication of a minority of racists among the Leave voters.

Whoever was right or whoever was wrong, I think we're a more fractious and intolerant country now than we were five years ago.
    Your summary is very well structured .

I voted to Remain .

I think I would now lean to a leave vote .

I do wonder if there was another vote now how that would look ?

My suspicion is that Leave would win with a slightly increased majority with the difference being among previous Remainers that just want the whole thing over and done with now - otherwise, I'd say opinions were pretty entrenched on either side. I'm more of a Remainer now than I was and I daresay there are some posts from me backing a second Referendum on here in the past five years, but my view straight after the result was that we should now get the whole thing sorted as quickly as possible and move on. That's proved easier said than done, but, on reflection, it's still my opinion today - I'm sure that there will be another Referendum some time in the future, but it should be a decade, at least, off yet.

Perhaps another Referendum at some point , cant imagine what the terms of reference will look like , that said what would the European landscape look then is the probably the biggest unknown , with Merkel and Macron gone , as well as Boris .

The benefits of leaving just keep rolling in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57595913