+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Retained list

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Retained list

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What makes you think Harris can develop into a championship level forward? He's played 95 games for us in all competitions Bob, i haven't seen all of those games, but what does he have that can make a difference, because as a forward, he has to have that on times. I can't see it, although i can understand why people like him. He works very hard and his best asset in my opinion is his short runs across the line of defenders, but all so often he's reactive, like the rest of them.
    If you look at the goals he’s scored for us, there’s some good finishes among them and he doesn’t miss too many sitters. Of course, given the low number he’s scored, it all suggests that he doesn’t get many scoring chances and not all of the reason for that is down to others. Like a few others, Harris’ better performances tend to come in away games where he’s been effective as an impact sub at times.

We’ve not seen Harris, Colwill and Davies playing for a City side that is in the habit of being on the front foot in home games - in fact, remarkably, you could say only Joe Ralls of last season’s squad has been! I think so much about modern day Cardiff City could change for the better if we got back to a position where City teams took the pitch expecting to win at Cardiff City Stadium - Harris and others might look different players to what we’ve become used to seeing if we were able to treat playing at homelike most other teams do.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If you look at the goals he’s scored for us, there’s some good finishes among them and he doesn’t miss too many sitters. Of course, given the low number he’s scored, it all suggests that he doesn’t get many scoring chances and not all of the reason for that is down to others. Like a few others, Harris’ better performances tend to come in away games where he’s been effective as an impact sub at times.

We’ve not seen Harris, Colwill and Davies playing for a City side that is in the habit of being on the front foot in home games - in fact, remarkably, you could say only Joe Ralls of last season’s squad has been! I think so much about modern day Cardiff City could change for the better if we got back to a position where City teams took the pitch expecting to win at Cardiff City Stadium - Harris and others might look different players to what we’ve become used to seeing if we were able to treat playing at homelike most other teams do.
    Fair enough Bob, good enough reasons, although where i will disagree with you is when you talk about the team not showing up in an attacking sense, or front foot as you put it, in terms of the three players mentioned, but, in my opinion that's an excuse, decent footballers find a way to show us what they're about in my opinion, tney'll get the ball enough times during a game that shows us that they have something, it might not come off, but as supporters i think that we can recognise quality, even in a poor team with crap tactics, Nathan Blake didn't have that problem and he played in some awful City sides, we just knew that he was better than the others.

Fair enough Bob, good enough reasons, although where i will disagree with you is when you talk about the team not showing up in an attacking sense, or front foot as you put it, in terms of the three players mentioned, but, in my opinion that's an excuse, decent footballers find a way to show us what they're about in my opinion, tney'll get the ball enough times during a game that shows us that they have something, it might not come off, but as supporters i think that we can recognise quality, even in a poor team with crap tactics, Nathan Blake didn't have that problem and he played in some awful City sides, we just knew that he was better than the others.
    I take your point, there are players who would rise above the sort of thing I talked about. I long ago came to the conclusion that, even if I had the ability, I didn’t have the mindset to succeed in football, but, when you consider the last three seasons at home, I think even super confident footballers would start to have doubts about playing at home. It seems reasonable to me that at least some of our players would be viewed more generously if we could have a season where we won, say, fourteen home games.

One thing I was encouraged by in Bulut’s press conference was that he singled out the need to improve our home record - I really do think it would make a huge difference.

I take your point, there are players who would rise above the sort of thing I talked about. I long ago came to the conclusion that, even if I had the ability, I didn’t have the mindset to succeed in football, but, when you consider the last three seasons at home, I think even super confident footballers would start to have doubts about playing at home. It seems reasonable to me that at least some of our players would be viewed more generously if we could have a season where we won, say, fourteen home games.

One thing I was encouraged by in Bulut’s press conference was that he singled out the need to improve our home record - I really do think it would make a huge difference.
    Fair shout Bob. I didn't have the ability or the mindset to succeed at football

Harris appears to play better for Wales from what I’ve seen , so in an improved City team will see an improvement in Mark Harris - that’s if he chooses to sign a new deal , he may have offers elsewhere to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Harris appears to play better for Wales from what I’ve seen , so in an improved City team will see an improvement in Mark Harris - that’s if he chooses to sign a new deal , he may have offers elsewhere to consider.

You could say the same of Colwill - coincidence or not?

You could say the same of Colwill - coincidence or not?
    Sorry Bob, i'd wouldn't call it Coincidence, i'd call it an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Harris appears to play better for Wales from what I’ve seen...
    Harris has made a grand total of 5 appearances for Wales, all from the bench. His time on the pitch in a Welsh senior jersey totals just 133 minutes. He's never started a game for Wales, never scored a goal.

His last appearance for Wales came more than a year ago. He didn't play a single minute in the disastrous 2022 World Cup campaign, wasn't selected for the Euro qualifiers squad in March and hasn't been selected for the forthcoming qualifiers against Armenia and Turkey either.

In my opinion, some of the comments in this thread about Harris are nuts. The guy made 17 (+21) appearances for City last season, scoring just three goals. He scored his last goal at Sunderland on 05/11/22. He was a regular part of the most toothless attack the club has fielded in decades. And yet people think he's a decent squad player and worthy of another contract?

Harris works hard and tries his best, but there's just no evidence to suggest he's good enough for this level. If he was English or some other nationality, I'm 100% certain people wouldn't be so keen to keep him on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Harris has made a grand total of 5 appearances for Wales, all from the bench. His time on the pitch in a Welsh senior jersey totals just 133 minutes. He's never started a game for Wales, never scored a goal.

His last appearance for Wales came more than a year ago. He didn't play a single minute in the disastrous 2022 World Cup campaign, wasn't selected for the Euro qualifiers squad in March and hasn't been selected for the forthcoming qualifiers against Armenia and Turkey either.

In my opinion, some of the comments in this thread about Harris are nuts. The guy made 17 (+21) appearances for City last season, scoring just three goals. He scored his last goal at Sunderland on 05/11/22. He was a regular part of the most toothless attack the club has fielded in decades. And yet people think he's a decent squad player and worthy of another contract?

Harris works hard and tries his best, but there's just no evidence to suggest he's good enough for this level. If he was English or some other nationality, I'm 100% certain people wouldn't be so keen to keep him on.
    Stop using facts to support your argument.

Good statistics, and hard to argue against those , but all being said , I’ll give him one last roll of the dice this season , providing he stays. He might go if another club offers him a more lucrative contract. (Blackburn wanted him but wouldn’t meet our £700,000 valuation apparently)

I prefer him over Watters, but I don’t mind him either.

good post is that.

good post is that.
    A change in manager , tactics, might kickstart his career.

Viktor Gyökeres was pretty average up until last season (just gone ) and now he is valued at €12m ( not that I’m comparing Harris with him )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Gyökeres

While that might all be true, he is a 100%'er and that's contagious on the training field and pitch , we know he is not going to be a 20 goal a season player at this level, but when we are where we are, he must be a good option to bring on when a goal up to see the game out

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    While that might all be true, he is a 100%'er and that's contagious on the training field and pitch , we know he is not going to be a 20 goal a season player at this level, but when we are where we are, he must be a good option to bring on when a goal up to see the game out
    I'd say that he's an option, not a particularly good one though. As for being a '100% er' well i'd say most of them are, they just show it in different ways, not everyone can chase down and run along the back line, and thank god for that, and giving 100% is sort of a requisite for a footballer, i don't think that it raises the effort rates in training, if so, then we're in bigger trouble than i thought.