+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Life affirming.

Life affirming.

Phil Collins has become the epitome of uncool, he doesn’t come over as that likeable to me and to cap it all, he’s a Tory. However, he also made a superb, memorable and, possibly, unique record forty years ago. I can remember the first time I heard In the Air Tonight as if it was yesterday, it was in the Rummer Tavern and someone played it on the juke box, I put 50 p in it straight away and played it ten times.

However, I’ve never listened to or watched up it before and got the reaction I did when I watched this video just now - talk about not knowing whether to laugh or cry! All I can say is that I’m in a much better mood now than I was before I played it.

I dare say quite a few of you will have seen this already, but, for those who haven’t, I heartily recommend it, there’s some great comments as well.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0l3-iufiywU&feature=share

Re: Life affirming.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Phil Collins has become the epitome of uncool, he doesn’t come over as that likeable to me and to cap it all, he’s a Tory. However, he also made a superb, memorable and, possibly, unique record forty years ago. I can remember the first time I heard In the Air Tonight as if it was yesterday, it was in the Rummer Tavern and someone played it on the juke box, I put 50 p in it straight away and played it ten times.

However, I’ve never listened to or watched up it before and got the reaction I did when I watched this video just now - talk about not knowing whether to laugh or cry! All I can say is that I’m in a much better mood now than I was before I played it.

I dare say quite a few of you will have seen this already, but, for those who haven’t, I heartily recommend it, there’s some great comments as well.

Have you seen how poorly Phil is at the moment?

He is still going on tour, but needs to sit down to sing( and can't play the drums anymore)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...-arts-58508715

Feedback

I'd rather guide my dad into my nan than listen to that shite

his daughter Lily however, is proper top end scrunt

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post

Wow.... just wow

You’re such a lad. I’m in awe.

Imagine guiding ones father into ones nan whilst listening to Phil Collins.

Also, when I say imagine it, I really mean don't.

I was expecting the cadburys gorilla

Pretending to be a lad alert

This is for music geeks only, but the drum sound on that song was invented by Phil and the studio engineers by accident. It's lots of compression to make the room sound big, and noise gates to make the sound disappear quickly. They heard it through another microphone in the room while Phil was drumming that was set up through the compressor (it was just for him to talk to the studio, not recording the drums) and it sounded so good it blew them away.

That was used on a different song but they came back to the technique for Air Tonight to give the drum entrance maximum impact.

"WAKE EM UP"

Nice video that. Subscribed.. Never actually watch anything I subscribe to but you know, the thought is there.

Thought I'd bring the thread back on track.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=js8pCCxcVuc&feature=share

Didn't realise that was the daughter. Fair play whatever floats feedbacks boat but it's a no from me. Short hair doesn't suit her and she sings like a bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That was used on a different song but they came back to the technique for Air Tonight to give the drum entrance maximum impact.
    The song being Peter Gabriel’s ‘Intruder’ from Gabriel’s third solo album, which is one of the very best from that era. Superb album, some truly brilliant tracks. Still sounds amazing today.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The song being Peter Gabriel’s ‘Intruder’ from Gabriel’s third solo album, which is one of the very best from that era. Superb album, some truly brilliant tracks. Still sounds amazing today.
    Talking about Peter Gabriel, I would have loved to have been at this gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evN6...l=PeterGabriel

Yes there's something infectious about seeing someone enjoying something for the first time in this way. It's so pure.

I think the appeal of these has a lot more to do with the natural charisma of the reviewers than whether the song they're reviewing is one you particularly like. Their "rolling in the deep" and "Jolene" listens are just as much fun to watch and I'm pretty unlikely to listen to any of those songs.

My favourite of the genre is the RATM listen I posted in another thread recently.

I know a lot of people like Genesis, and Phil Collins, but I'm not one of them.
    Fair play to them for longevity and all that, but no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Fair play to them for longevity and all that, but no thanks.
    I’m not a fan really either, just think that’s a great record, but, as Rjk says, it was more the reaction of the two reviewers that was behind me starting the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Thanks for letting us know.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You’re such a lad. I’m in awe.
    I recall your musical choices - you saw Gene in the 90s (or was it 00s). Either way, that's ****ing sad. I'll sleep easy tonight.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Pretending to be a lad alert
    This is me pretending to give a **** about what you think

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Didn't realise that was the daughter. Fair play whatever floats feedbacks boat but it's a no from me. Short hair doesn't suit her and she sings like a bloke.

You're so droll

You're so droll
    There's never a droll moment with me around.

I recall your musical choices - you saw Gene in the 90s (or was it 00s). Either way, that's ****ing sad. I'll sleep easy tonight.
    Olympian is a very good album.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    There's never a droll moment with me around.
    That doesn't mean what you think it means

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Have you seen how poorly Phil is at the moment?

He is still going on tour, but needs to sit down to sing( and can't play the drums anymore)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...-arts-58508715
    Yeh but he's a Tory and that's unforgivable