+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff - City of the Year

Re: Cardiff - City of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Sludge you are an absolute disgrace. Slagging off our fantastic city constantly. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Shut it Rupert

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The number of parks is probably less significant than the acreage.
    True - but not totally reliable.

Sheffield is often quoted as the greenest city in Europe - but that is also a bit misleading. One third of Sheffield is in the Peak District National Park, and there are loads of parks (if not as many trees as a few years ago!) - many of them big. But there are still large swathes of the city that are covered by big estates, similar to most major cities in the UK, that are mostly brick, tarmac and concrete.

Number of parks and acreage are useful indicators - but spread of green space and access are also important.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I go to 3 or 4 opera there each year and it's generally pretty full. What was it like when you attended?
    I love the Millennium Centre. Opera is well supported there, but it's hardly just about opera. Musicals have good stints there with sellout nights. It supports all manner of artists on its public stage. We should be proud that we have somewhere like this in Wales. I was lucky enough to be a part of the support act for Brett Anderson last year. It might not have Sludge's metal bands, but it is a great venue that many cities would love to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Not too sure. I think people tend to use a local park if within easy reach. We have a small one around the corner that I often walk through and is quite busy with other likeminded locals. I rarely travel out of my way to visit a park these days.
    That's wonderful but there's a difference between Jubilee Park and Hyde Park.

🤣

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's a fact that Liverpool has more art galleries than Cardiff

It's a fact that Cardiff Central is a very small train station and doesn't have the capacity of Leeds , Manchester Piccadilly , Sheffield Midland , Bristol Temple Meads etc

It's a fact that Newcastle has an extensive metro system , including an underground , Cardiff doesn't

I am all for people being proud to an extent of where they come from but most of the praise of Cardiff seems to be hyperbole and comes straight out of Wales Online
    Cardiff doesn't need a bigger train station. It's not a hub. As for smaller music venues, what's wrong with Club Ifor Bach? It's perfect.

I lived in London for 5 years and hardly ever visited Hyde Park. We were always kicking a ball around the local park in Muswell Hill. Hyde Park seemed to be mostly full of office/shop workers having their lunch and tourists on the few occasions I went there when there was no event on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I love the Millennium Centre. Opera is well supported there, but it's hardly just about opera. Musicals have good stints there with sellout nights. It supports all manner of artists on its public stage. We should be proud that we have somewhere like this in Wales. I was lucky enough to be a part of the support act for Brett Anderson last year. It might not have Sludge's metal bands, but it is a great venue that many cities would love to have.
    Most of the events at the millennium, like St David's Hall, are poorly attended

It's a waste of money

If it had more bands , not just metal bands , more bands of any kind , that would be a start

It's an excellent venue , criminally under used

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I lived in London for 5 years and hardly ever visited Hyde Park. We were always kicking a ball around the local park in Muswell Hill. Hyde Park seemed to be mostly full of office/shop workers having their lunch and tourists on the few occasions I went there when there was no event on.
    Got to love Brockwell Park.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Cardiff doesn't need a bigger train station. It's not a hub. As for smaller music venues, what's wrong with Club Ifor Bach? It's perfect.
    For every small venue like the Welsh club cities like Bristol have plenty more

It's a waste of money

If it had more bands , not just metal bands , more bands of any kind , that would be a start

Rubbish. Why do you think events at WMC and SDH are poorly attended?

Edit: Actually, you don't give a feck about anything other than bands. Hence your opinion is worthless.

So what?

So what?
    It's the thread you started

Cardiff is OK, in some ways good but it's not valhalla

Rubbish. Why do you think events at WMC and SDH are poorly attended?

Edit: Actually, you don't give a feck about anything other than bands. Hence your opinion is worthless.
    The number of tickets sold for events

If an opera or whatever it is you are into is on for 6 nights but only has decent attendance on two then that's a poor attended event

On the odd occasion bands do get a slot at the millennium they normally sell out sharpish

There just isn't the population or demand for off the wall stuff which is the sort of stuff you clearly like

It's not that I don't like it , it's that very few other people do either

Cardiff is not a cultural city , never has been

People who have never really been anywhere else think ......insert name of city ......is the best

To suggest Cardiff has a good live music culture is an opinion that falls down if compared to many other UK cities

A nice civic centre , parks .....yes ...but the best ?
    Newport had fantastic music venues but I had to jump on the train for 10-15 minutes to get my jeans from Woodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Newport had fantastic music venues but I had to jump on the train for 10-15 minutes to get my jeans from Woodies.
    Newport had some great venues

I think I have spoken to you before about that place half way up the hill going out of the city centre ....Stow hill or Al ty ryn ?

It had a dragon coming down from the ceiling? Huge thing

Saw a few metal bands there

I think we both know that pretty full isn't quite the same as full
    I also go to 30+ gigs a year at various venues. I'd say 3-4 are sold out. I've seen 2 contemporary music gigs at the WME. One was 'pretty full', the other had the circles closed. You don't really know what you're talking about.

Of course it is. The annual Llais festival has some superb bands and artists - I assume that was when you played there? I saw John Cale there a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The Globe, the Moon, Fuel, the Acapela, the Gate in Roath, the Earl Haig. Those are the ones I attend regularly.

It's a waste of money

They aren't though. And because they aren't, you have obviously no evidence whatsoever for your insistence that they are. I go there regularly. I know you'll simply reply that the crowds are small but that doesn't make it true, it just makes you look daft and ill-informed.

Do they really? Was never really fussed by the fleece or the one in the boat…..

Impressive this got to 7 pages.

Sludge you need to move on mate, busty Bronwen at visit Cardiff turned you down weeks ago. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Do they really? Was never really fussed by the fleece or the one in the boat…..
    The Thekla is OK but more as a gimmicky venue.

International

That is a great venue, and adds value to the Bay and does bring in people from well outside Cardiff.

Millennium Centre is fantastic and a huge success. We lack grassroots venues but thats no reason to assume what we do have is poor.

It's a stunning venue