+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: George Carlin religion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: George Carlin religion

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Just seen that Ashley Cain fella on Instagram who lost his baby daughter. Tragic story. He’s Saying a prayer thanking God for giving him the gift of the child and for him to hold her in his grasp.

No mention of the fact that God was the thing that took her away in the first place…..oh no, I forgot, he only does the good stuff. It’s a mental illness.
    Would you rather him be angry, hateful and vengeful, or using his faith in a positive way? I don't believe in god, but you have no place in insulting that man for the way he interprets life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Would you rather him be angry, hateful and vengeful, or using his faith in a positive way? I don't believe in god, but you have no place in insulting that man for the way he interprets life.
    I remember an old lady in Italy who, after being saved from under a collapsed building, thanked God for her survival. Unfortunately, others perished in that incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I remember an old lady in Italy who, after being saved from under a collapsed building, thanked God for her survival. Unfortunately, others perished in that incident.
    How we deal with trauma, loss, grief, emotional pain are complex. I actually find the thought of chaotic theory and a series of random but mathematically patterned quantum events (and the head-f*ck that they bring) really comforting. When we give up on being in control of anything (including our own brains) it can be philosophically liberating. You see, what I think the old lady in Italy was describing and attributing to her survival, was in fact chaos. She survived (everything is connected but uncontrollable) while others perished, seems perfectly logical to me and is not pre-ordained (or down to a god).

The thing I'm doing here now though (and I didn't start off this post with this in mind) is arguing that chaos = god = chaos. I'm not talking about conscience (which is different and touches upon sentience - including AI) being represented by a bearded man surrounded by angels in the same way that just because I have a beard means I qualify as a god! Though I think I'd make a pretty good god and have learned a lot from Sean Connery's mistakes in A Man Who Would Be King!

The Italian lady could quite as easily thanked Chaos for her survival.

Is anyone else desperate to watch some shit football?

If she believes that it was gods will to let her live and call time on the poor souls who died, then that's her logic, her solace. I don't think that it's anymore complicated than that in my opinion.

If she believes that it was gods will to let her live and call time on the poor souls who died, then that's her logic, her solace. I don't think that it's anymore complicated than that in my opinion.
    In fairness, you've just summed it up beautifully using less time and energy than one of my tomes! It's no wonder I'm knackered all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    In fairness, you've just summed it up beautifully using less time and energy than one of my tomes! It's no wonder I'm knackered all the time!
    You're a demon!

I think you are totally missing the point.

I think you are totally missing the point.
    I probably am....