+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 2021 a bad year for British populists and their culture wars.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 2021 a bad year for British populists and their culture wars.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That the guardian and David Olusoga don't see themselves as big players in any supposed culture war is one of the most tone deaf things I've come across. Let us not forget this is the publication that finds racism in botanical gardens. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nked-to-empire

They demand nuance and understanding from what they say, and offer none in return. Honestly, I can barely think of a mainstream publication or an author or stokes the fire more. Perhaps the Daily Express.

This is just such unbelievably one sided stuff, that honestly, nothing is gained without reading something countering it. It's just complete polemical stuff.

With that in mind, here's an alternative viewpoint:
    https://unherd.com/2021/06/do-the-cu...-really-exist/

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    That the guardian and David Olusoga don't see themselves as big players in any supposed culture war is one of the most tone deaf things I've come across.

They demand nuance and understanding from what they say, and offer none in return. Honestly, I can barely think of a publication or an author or stokes the fire more.

This is just such unbelievably one sided stuff, that honestly, nothing is gained without reading something countering it. It's just complete polemical stuff.
    Well offer something to counter it then.

Well offer something to counter it then.
    I did. And heres another.

UnHerd is a very very good website to cut through the nonsense.

https://unherd.com/2021/04/nobody-wi...-culture-wars/

I did. And heres another.

UnHerd is a very very good website to cut through the nonsense.

https://unherd.com/2021/04/nobody-wi...-culture-wars/
    Really? The first one you posted was just a right wing equivalent of what you say the Guardian does and I gave up on the second one because I couldn’t understand it.

Really? The first one you posted was just a right wing equivalent of what you say the Guardian does and I gave up on the second one because I couldn’t understand it.
    Thats my point - Dont read the first hopelessly biased (guardian) one without another, offering an equally biased opinion. That said, note Douglas Murray quotes statistics from social surveys and at least attempts to recognise the alternative position.

The second article is more balanced, and worth a read.

That the guardian and David Olusoga don't see themselves as big players in any supposed culture war is one of the most tone deaf things I've come across. Let us not forget this is the publication that finds racism in botanical gardens. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nked-to-empire

They demand nuance and understanding from what they say, and offer none in return. Honestly, I can barely think of a mainstream publication or an author or stokes the fire more. Perhaps the Daily Express.

With that in mind, here's an alternative viewpoint:
    https://unherd.com/2021/06/do-the-cu...-really-exist/
    Douglas Murray! Have you read 'The Strange Death of Europe' James?. I have. Interested in your views on it if you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Douglas Murray! Have you read 'The Strange Death of Europe' James?. I have. Interested in your views on it if you have.
    I have, yes. I didn't enjoy it really. First few chapters made some valid points perhaps but then went on to repeat itself for a hundred or so pages and went too far for me. I think he's a competent debater and makes some interesting points but his book (and thats the only one Ive read) went on a bit..

My argument here is not that he is right, merely that he should be listened to to counter someone like David Olusoga (some of whom's history programmes i really enjoy), as I feel that there is an assumption that his stance on matters like this is the reasoned, liberal, rational approach when it isn't. It's every bit as biased and divisive and dismissive of alternative views as those he professes to dislike.

I absolutely do think that Unherd is a truly fantastic resource mind. If a few more people read a few more articles from websites like that the world would be a more tolerant place.

I have, yes. I didn't enjoy it really. First few chapters made some valid points perhaps but then went on to repeat itself for a hundred or so pages and went too far for me. I think he's a competent debater and makes some interesting points but his book (and thats the only one Ive read) went on a bit..

Thanks. I agree that some of the early stuff is certainly thought-provoking. He should have stopped after the first few chapters. Definitely before the point where he starts trying to present the case for Tommy Robinson.