+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I do find the history argument interesting.

Everything had no history once.......

This thread is called glammy but do youngsters pay any attention to glammy now? There were thousands of kids at the Welsh fire game yesterday. They seemed to enjoy it anyway. Do they follow glamorgan also?

I just think we have to remember was the biggest welsh domestic crowd of all time yesterday. Glamorgan have never and will never have a crowd as big. Absolutely fine to say how bad and sad that is but to say nobody has any interest in the 100 is just nonsense sorry.
    The history or national identity argument became important as soon as the ECB named the Franchise Welsh Fire with an all red kit. The marketing men clearly want a Welsh team playing the Hundred or there would have been a team playing at Cardiff, Taunton and Bristol called the HTV wanderers or something. What we’ve got at the moment is a team that has no Welshmen, and one or two Welsh women I believe, repressing no one really.

I went downto Cardiff this morning and spoke to a couple of Glamorgan members who confirmed they’ve got free entry to Hundred games and that there are stacks of free tickets about that means the opportunity is there to get youngsters interested in cricket, but aree they going to keep on coming back if the team they support keeps on playing such crap cricket and the penny drops that there are more players in the Hundred with better connections to Wales or are from Wales (eg Hogan, Van Der Gugten, Salt ) paying for other teams than there are in the so called Welsh team.

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The history or national identity argument became important as soon as the ECB named the Franchise Welsh Fire with an all red kit. The marketing men clearly want a Welsh team playing the Hundred or there would have been a team playing at Cardiff, Taunton and Bristol called the HTV wanderers or something. What we’ve got at the moment is a team that has no Welshmen, and one or two Welsh women I believe, repressing no one really.

I went downto Cardiff this morning and spoke to a couple of Glamorgan members who confirmed they’ve got free entry to Hundred games and that there are stacks of free tickets about that means the opportunity is there to get youngsters interested in cricket, but aree they going to keep on coming back if the team they support keeps on playing such crap cricket and the penny drops that there are more players in the Hundred with better connections to Wales or are from Wales (eg Hogan, Van Der Gugten, Salt ) paying for other teams than there are in the so called Welsh team.
    I'm not sure they thought we will call this team Welsh Fire. Let's pack the squad with Welshmen. As you've said yourself elsewhere it is an auction/draft that is used to make up the teams. Do you suggest picking inferior players just because they're Welsh? How many Welsh players actually play in the competition this year?

People talk of free tickets and tickets for schools like Glamorgan couldn't do it more. There are literally thousands of empty seats at most Glamorgan games. They gave out a fair few freebies for the midweek T20 games but they could give a lot more.

I think a lot of people over estimate how much Welshness of the team matters to crowds. One player was Welsh in a squad of 18 for City against Norwich. Not sure most people cared all that much.