+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Summer Transfer Window Critical

Next Summer Transfer Window Critical

From a quick look at the squad contracts it seems all of these players are out of contract in June 2022.

Smithies
    Morrison
    Flint
    Vaulks
    Ralls
    Pack
    Murphy
    Tomlin

Personally I would not be too gutted to see most of them go. It gives a very real chance to overhaul the midfield here for one.
    Some of them listed just don't seem bothered to play and when they do seem unmotivated and there are also some aging players in that lot that simply need replacing by younger models.

Who would you let go, who would you keep and why?
    Whether MM is the man to make the signings/spend the money to replace them is another argument too.

Re: Next Summer Transfer Window Critical

Most were with us in the premier league, so probably on large wages for us.

5 of them are over 30 which should also come into our thinking.

Smithies is a good keeper - probably on a high wage though and we have Phillips who is stepping up - I think he will be released (unless he signs a big wage reduction)

Morrison and Flint are both excellent defenders at this level, I can see us keeping one of them though, as we still need numbers there. That will depend on the impact that Brown, McGuiness and Denholm can make this season.

Similar with Vaulks, Ralls and Pack - Pack is past 30, but the other two might get an offer, that will depend on how many of our younger players make the grade in midfield - I'd like to see Ralls kept on if wages are sensible.

Murphy probably on big wages and just hasn't delivered enough. He has talent in there somewhere but we haven't seen it often enough. He'll probably go to another championship team and start banging them in but hey ho.

Tomlin I would be utterly astounded if he is offered another deal.

So possibly Morrisson or Ralls to stay depending on Wages, and the rest to leave.

That means next season our centre midfield and defence will be looking very different.
    Seems even more sensible to loan out Wintle, so he's playing. If he's good at this level for Blackpool then that's 1 of 4 CMs we'll probably need.

Smithies is dependant on wages, I can see him moving on tho.

Id offer new deals to Morrison and Ralls and that's it.

It does look like a tipping point. If we're ever going to evolve our playing style it'll be then.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Smithies is dependant on wages, I can see him moving on tho.

Id offer new deals to Morrison and Ralls and that's it.
    I'd probably do the same.

The rest either are getting on, on too high wages to be sat on the bench (Smithies, Murphy), and the others could be labelled as not enough for what is needed or simple can't be bothered if you look at Tomlin (and maybe Murphy).

In short I think we can replace the others and reduce the average age of the squad and the wage with players who are as good or better.

All bar two of those listed (Ralls who was signed during Dave Jones time and Ole’s buy Morrison) were signed by Neil Warnock for a collective £30 million (think that’s a conservative estimate) - what an indictment of Warnock it would be if they were all let go for nothing next summer.

To look at it another way:

If we don't renew any of them our squad will be:

GK - Phillips

CB - Nelson, Brown, McGuiness (+ potentially some youth in Denham or Bakere, Could possibly convert Ng to be a ball playing RCB?)

LWB - Bagan (+ potentially Davies)

RWB - Ng, Sang (D'Almeida?)

CM - Bacuna, Wintle ( + potentially Bowen, D'almeida, Sang, Patten?)

AM / wing - Colwill, Bacuna , Whyte(+ evans?)

CF - Moore, Collins, Harris, Vassell, Watters

GK we will definitely need one.

If brown and McGuiness step up this season and both look good enough then that might make the decision a little easier in Defence, but otherwise we probably need some experience there.

CM is the main concern - if wintle doesn't have a good time of it in Blackpool then we will be very light. If we keep Ralls then itlooks a little better. I can see ups maybe keeping 2 of them.

We will definitely need some more attacking midfield options possibly the loan market again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

GK - Phillips

CB - Nelson, Brown, McGuiness (+ potentially some youth in Denham or Bakere, Could possibly convert Ng to be a ball playing RCB?)

If brown and McGuiness step up this season and both look good enough then that might make the decision a little easier in Defence, but otherwise we probably need some experience there.

CM is the main concern - if wintle doesn't have a good time of it in Blackpool then we will be very light. If we keep Ralls then itlooks a little better. I can see ups maybe keeping 2 of them.

We will definitely need some more attacking midfield options possibly the loan market again.
    According to the same website I did note that Brown's contract runs up until January so he could be gone sooner than we think if that is accurate.

If we always look at people leaving with the 'we might be a bit short in that position' hat on then we'll never move on. The very nature of a player leaving means that naturally we'll be a bit lighter in that position.

It has been the grumble of many that the money Warnock actually spent was not spent wisely and that we could not make changes, especially in midfield, because we had players under contract. Summer 2022 is that opportunity. Over to the recruitment team.

GK - Phillips

Bacuna’s contract is up in the summer isn’t it? Think Whyte’s might be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All bar two of those listed (Ralls who was signed during Dave Jones time and Ole’s buy Morrison) were signed by Neil Warnock for a collective £30 million (think that’s a conservative estimate) - what an indictment of Warnock it would be if they were all let go for nothing next summer.
    I think it's just a mere(!) c£22.5m. Smithies £3.5m, Flint £4m, Pack £750k, Vaulks £2m, Murphy £11m, Tomlin £1.6 m. Still, how much will we get back on them, zero is my guess unless someone comes in for them by tomorrow and is prepared to pay their wage levels.

You are right about Whyte. On Transfermarkt he features in the Oxford squad so was missed from the initial list.

Bacuna's runs until 2023.

Afraid not, both are here for another year

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    You are right about Whyte. On Transfermarkt he features in the Oxford squad so was missed from the initial list.

Bacuna's runs until 2023.
    Whyte's s 2023 as well

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think it's just a mere(!) c£22.5m. Smithies £3.5m, Flint £4m, Pack £750k, Vaulks £2m, Murphy £11m, Tomlin £1.6 m. Still, how much will we get back on them, zero is my guess unless someone comes in for them by tomorrow and is prepared to pay their wage levels.
    Murphy was the head scratcher. Not in that we signed him. He looked a good attacking player.
    Just Warnock not playing him because he didn't track back and the like. Had we not seen him play before? Was that aspect of his game a surprise to us?

To a lesser extent, in that we paid nothing for him, Wintle this summer. It is as though we've signed him and are surprised by the fact he isn't the player we thought he was. I could understand signing a 19/20 year old and loaning him out in the hope he will feature in the future but he's 24.

Whyte's s 2023 as well
    Is it?

That site is wrong then or maybe I've just looked at 'contract ends' and it is the loan spell with Oxford rather than his contract with us.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Thought Flint, Pack and Vaulks were more than that, but I had £5 million in my mind for Pack and that’s definitely wrong.

Afraid not, both are here for another year
    Well what an indictment on Warnock that is, another few million to be added to all of the others he wasted.

Murphy was the head scratcher. Not in that we signed him. He looked a good attacking player.
    Just Warnock not playing him because he didn't track back and the like. Had we not seen him play before? Was that aspect of his game a surprise to us?

To a lesser extent, in that we paid nothing for him, Wintle this summer. It is as though we've signed him and are surprised by the fact he isn't the player we thought he was. I could understand signing a 19/20 year old and loaning him out in the hope he will feature in the future but he's 24.
    He's only played one season at league one level, where he's done well - prior to that he was in league 2.

We've brought him into a side that is already accommodating a few other players who are getting upto speed at this level.
    They've had a look at him in a couple of games and probably have felt that we can't afford to bring him through at the same time. So to get championship level game time somewhere is better than warming the bench for us.
    I'm sure that would have preferred that he'd immediately claimed a starting spot but as that hasn't happened this is a good outcome. Far better than him going back on loan to league one.

I guess it is difficult to judge how players will make the step up - some are excellent at league one, but struggle to make an impact in the Championship (i.e. Gavin Whyte)

Is it?

That site is wrong then or maybe I've just looked at 'contract ends' and it is the loan spell with Oxford rather than his contract with us.
    yes elsewhere on the site it says his contract with US ends in 2023

I think it's time for them all to go but that's difficult. It also depends on where we end up. We've only played 5 games and only Flint (because of his goals) has really shone so far. If these players are out of contract next June then they need to play really well for the shirt and for the rest of the season and really show some passion on the park.

If Morrison stays (and he needs to be playing well and not get injured to be offered a new contract) then I want to see the captaincy go to another player. If Moore is with us, I'd give it to him as an incentive to get more involved and give us a fresh start and approach.

It could be between Flint & Morrison depending on how they play for the rest of the season.

I want a fresh start now and don't believe in keeping players on for their glory days. I don't like keeping players on who've been in relegation sides either - certainly not this long but we've had no choice which is why, today, I'd pick Flint instead of Morrison.

Fresh faces, fresh manager (I wish), a fresh approach built around our home-growns. Get a couple of players in that'll get the crowd excited FFS and put bums on seats.

Buy 2 and get 3 loanees (even though I don't like loanees but I think the way the club is going we'll have to do it this way).

I'd be ruthless. Let's see where we end up and how these players are performing by January. Tomlin's the biggest no-brainer to lose right now out of the list and I love(d) Tomlin as a player but he has to go.

I can see us offering a couple of them a contract but it may be at such a low (realistic) level compared to their previous one that that my wish to look elsewhere anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think it's time for them all to go but that's difficult. It also depends on where we end up. We've only played 5 games and only Flint (because of his goals) has really shone so far. If these players are out of contract next June then they need to play really well for the shirt and for the rest of the season and really show some passion on the park.

If Morrison stays (and he needs to be playing well and not get injured to be offered a new contract) then I want to see the captaincy go to another player. If Moore is with us, I'd give it to him as an incentive to get more involved and give us a fresh start and approach.

It could be between Flint & Morrison depending on how they play for the rest of the season.

I want a fresh start now and don't believe in keeping players on for their glory days. I don't like keeping players on who've been in relegation sides either - certainly not this long but we've had no choice which is why, today, I'd pick Flint instead of Morrison.

Fresh faces, fresh manager (I wish), a fresh approach built around our home-growns. Get a couple of players in that'll get the crowd excited FFS and put bums on seats.

Buy 2 and get 3 loanees (even though I don't like loanees but I think the way the club is going we'll have to do it this way).

I'd be ruthless. Let's see where we end up and how these players are performing by January. Tomlin's the biggest no-brainer to lose right now out of the list and I love(d) Tomlin as a player but he has to go.
    Tough one between Flint and Morrison, as they are both very good championship central defenders. I'd say Morrison is overall slightly better, but Flint has been better for us in a back 3 .
    Flint will be 33 when it comes time to sign a new contract though, which possibly tilts it towards Morrison for me, as he's a couple of years younger.
    We could offer Morrison a 2 year deal, but I'm not sure a 2 year deal for Flint would be a sensible move as he'd be 35 by the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I can see us offering a couple of them a contract but it may be at such a low (realistic) level compared to their previous one that that my wish to look elsewhere anyway
    That's true - as happened with Bennett before his injury.

I think several of them would have plenty of offers at this level

That's true - as happened with Bennett before his injury.

I think several of them would have plenty of offers at this level
    I'm almost certain they would.

It is one thing signing a seasoned pro with experience to supplement what you already have and another building a new team around them.
    A lot are getting on and this squad is getting no younger.

I would add that any new offers would need to be competitive at Championship level.

Cardiff City can't be seen as the cash cow it has been for many up to this stage. If other teams won't pay anywhere near what we will, and it has been a problem for us in moving players on in the past, then it is something that needs to change.

Offer top money for the top players yes, but I think we've been seen as a team that pays over the odds wage wise at actor level for some time now.