+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Summer Transfer Window Critical

Re: Next Summer Transfer Window Critical

Instead actor it meant to say this.

Not sure how that ended up there.

My premonition is that next summer will be a blood bath for loads of teams

We will see a similar economy in football as the wider one, with a 2 tier wage structure. The smaller clubs hit harder the big clubs doubling down.

I think for us we’ll let go of a number of the over-the-hill players mentioned above after being unable to agree reduced wages and then having to replace with other deadwood.

Even though signings excite people I'd like to see a team based on Academy Graduates. I wouldn't be sad to see some of those listed off the wage bill.

Loaning out Wintle unless for Family reasons looks a shrewd move. He gets a years experience at this level whilst finding his feet at another club and gives us greater leeway to not offer a contract to a more expensive option who struggles to play a simple pass accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    My premonition is that next summer will be a blood bath for loads of teams

We will see a similar economy in football as the wider one, with a 2 tier wage structure. The smaller clubs hit harder the big clubs doubling down.

I think for us we’ll let go of a number of the over-the-hill players mentioned above after being unable to agree reduced wages and then having to replace with other deadwood.
    I think next summer might see a very different way of doing things a lot like you see in American or Australian sports.

Their transfer of players sees them move from one team to another mainly based on where they can be fit into their playing budget and wage cap. I know there isn't a wage cap here but in effect there is for many clubs in that they have an upper limit that they can afford and have to build a squad with and all without having too much to splurge on transfer money.

Done well it could be the making of a club. Done badly at it could be curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Even though signings excite people I'd like to see a team based on Academy Graduates. I wouldn't be sad to see some of those listed off the wage bill.

Loaning out Wintle unless for Family reasons looks a shrewd move. He gets a years experience at this level whilst finding his feet at another club and gives us greater leeway to not offer a contract to a more expensive option who struggles to play a simple pass accurately.
    Bolton, Merthyr etc tried that.

They’re not exactly setting the world alight.

Not all academy players will make it no matter how much game time they have

Bolton, Merthyr etc tried that.

They’re not exactly setting the world alight.

Not all academy players will make it no matter how much game time they have
    This is it.

The success of going the academy product route is based purely on how good those products are.
    Bad products coming through, bad performances, bad results.

I know that players need to be playing to learn and will make mistakes, it is whether they learn from those mistakes though and how long you give them in the team while making those mistakes.

If I knew the answers then I'd be employed somewhere else I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He's only played one season at league one level, where he's done well - prior to that he was in league 2.

We've brought him into a side that is already accommodating a few other players who are getting upto speed at this level.
    They've had a look at him in a couple of games and probably have felt that we can't afford to bring him through at the same time. So to get championship level game time somewhere is better than warming the bench for us.
    I'm sure that would have preferred that he'd immediately claimed a starting spot but as that hasn't happened this is a good outcome. Far better than him going back on loan to league one.

I guess it is difficult to judge how players will make the step up - some are excellent at league one, but struggle to make an impact in the Championship (i.e. Gavin Whyte)

I agree that contract renewals and transfer window next summer are critical, though I disagree with your comments regarding effort of the players.

Think it's probably too early for this thread though and should be thought of more of a horse race (some taking early lead, some falling back) rather than it's current yes/no question.

At the moment there is a group of four in this season's starting XI who appear to be working themselves into a good position but a lot will depend on contract length, wage and minute demands; who we have ready to take their place; budget for next season; and what Mick wants going forward. For that reason the youth appearing the League Cup and over rest of the season will tell us a lot.

You should add Brown to the list who is on his one year option and needs agreement to extend if he'll be around next year. His status and development should be a factor as well.

Tough one between Flint and Morrison, as they are both very good championship central defenders. I'd say Morrison is overall slightly better, but Flint has been better for us in a back 3 .
    Flint will be 33 when it comes time to sign a new contract though, which possibly tilts it towards Morrison for me, as he's a couple of years younger.
    We could offer Morrison a 2 year deal, but I'm not sure a 2 year deal for Flint would be a sensible move as he'd be 35 by the end of it.
    I thought the same thing after I posted and for that reason, I agree it needs to be Morrison over Flint. I agree with WJ99Mobile that's it'll be a bloodbath next summer. It is a precarious season for Cardiff City (I don't mean in terms of relegation) but there's a perfect storm shaping up here for it to be really difficult to kick on for a few seasons. Actually, quite a few seasons. It just feels a bit meh and all the excitement since 17/18 seems to be petering out. Back to reality. I really think we need a couple of players to fire up the fans (and keep the attendances around the 20K mark) and nobody on that list will be able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I thought the same thing after I posted and for that reason, I agree it needs to be Morrison over Flint. I agree with WJ99Mobile that's it'll be a bloodbath next summer. It is a precarious season for Cardiff City (I don't mean in terms of relegation) but there's a perfect storm shaping up here for it to be really difficult to kick on for a few seasons. Actually, quite a few seasons. It just feels a bit meh and all the excitement since 17/18 seems to be petering out. Back to reality. I really think we need a couple of players to fire up the fans (and keep the attendances around the 20K mark) and nobody on that list will be able to do that.
    I do think we’re not going to be the only club in this situation mind

yes the gap between the teams with the parachute payments and those without seems massive now we are on the wrong side of it.
    we need to be a lot better at a lot of things to be able to close that gap, but it is never too late to start making good decisions.

To look at it another way:

If we don't renew any of them our squad will be:

GK - Phillips

CB - Nelson, McGuiness (+ potentially some youth in Denham or Bakere, Could possibly convert Ng to be a ball playing RCB?)

LWB - Bagan (+ potentially Davies)

RWB - Ng, Sang (D'Almeida?)

CM - Wintle ( + potentially Bowen, D'almeida, Patten?)

AM / wing - Colwill, Bacuna , Whyte(+ Evans?)

CF - Moore, Collins, Harris, Watters

I've taken our Brown and Vassell with former already discussed (currently departing) and latter in last year of his deal too. Also removed Sang and Bacuna from CM conversation because Mick clearly doesn't fancy them in those positions.

I can see it being Morrison, Ralls and Pack staying but maintain it's far too early to say yes/no. A bad injury changes picture massively as does serious interest from another club willing to pay higher wages or a player getting back to their best.

But that doesn't rebuild the midfield?!? Problem has always been that the four of them are too similar in strengths and limitations and don't work well together, but if Mick has removed Bacuna from CM conversation and if Vaulks go (though he did better than Ralls last year and is presumably cheaper) then we'll just be down to two with plenty of squad space for alternatives.

yes the gap between the teams with the parachute payments and those without seems massive now we are on the wrong side of it.
    we need to be a lot better at a lot of things to be able to close that gap, but it is never too late to start making good decisions.
    Yes, I like that mindset.

if only I could apply it to my personal life

Oh for sure. I just hope that Covid hasn't messed up things so much that the PL relegated sides become sure-things for going straight back up because 1. they've got the squads and 2. they've got the parachute payments whilst the rest of the league are struggling forever. The economics of Covid could have already rendered The Championship as a PL MkII. It won't be as competitive outside say, a top 6 clubs and will be very difficult and in most cases (just like the PL) to break through without the money people.

Trouble is, it's further complicated by the FA having no backbone when it comes to FFP regs. being applied fairly.

if only I could apply it to my personal life

Oh for sure. I just hope that Covid hasn't messed up things so much that the PL relegated sides become sure-things for going straight back up because 1. they've got the squads and 2. they've got the parachute payments whilst the rest of the league are struggling forever. The economics of Covid could have already rendered The Championship as a PL MkII. It won't be as competitive outside say, a top 6 clubs and will be very difficult and in most cases (just like the PL) to break through without the money people.

Trouble is, it's further complicated by the FA having no backbone when it comes to FFP regs. being applied fairly.
    I think we are already there

I think we are already there
    I didn't want to say that but I did think it :-(

Morrison, Ralls, Flint, Pack are all starters with Vaulks as back up in midfield.

If they go they will all need replacing and some of those are top players at this level
    Not as easy as it sounds and we would lose a lot of our goal threat.

Smithies is an excellent keeper, but you can’t have a back up in that money and Tomlin and Murphy will surely go, both are huge talents, but just haven’t done near enough.

Obviously too early to say, at the moment I'd keep Morrison, Ralls & maybe Pack. How many of Ralls, Pack & Vaulks stay will depend entirely on whether Wintle can kick on and if we're ready to give proper opportunities to Bowen, Sang or D'Almeida in their actual positions

I'd like to see us try Pack and Ng at centre back. We desperately need someone who can pass in that back 3 as well as bring the ball out of defence in order to progress up the pitch, they could do that

A final thought for this thread, how many are assuming we'll play same formation next season?

Mick wasn't shy in picking current formation because it got the most out of players available but looking at players expected here next year and I'd argue that rotation between 4-3-3 and 3-4-1-2 far more likely than currently dominant 3-4-2-1 and occasional 3-4-1-2.

That could mean Watters coming back in from the cold (if playing 2 up front again), greater emphasis on real wingers (Bacuna in a new role?) and slightly more defensive full-backs (D'Almeida favoured and Sang pushed forward?).

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Morrison, Ralls, Flint, Pack are all starters with Vaulks as back up in midfield.

If they go they will all need replacing and some of those are top players at this level
    Not as easy as it sounds and we would lose a lot of our goal threat.

Smithies is an excellent keeper, but you can’t have a back up in that money and Tomlin and Murphy will surely go, both are huge talents, but just haven’t done near enough.
    Its almost like we should have started the process this year so it's not such a big shocker next year.

I think that re-signing Morrison is a no-brainer unless he wants silly money.

Tough one between Flint and Morrison, as they are both very good championship central defenders. I'd say Morrison is overall slightly better, but Flint has been better for us in a back 3 .
    Flint will be 33 when it comes time to sign a new contract though, which possibly tilts it towards Morrison for me, as he's a couple of years younger.
    We could offer Morrison a 2 year deal, but I'm not sure a 2 year deal for Flint would be a sensible move as he'd be 35 by the end of it.
    Morrison is a deluxe version of Flint, so I think he would look better playing in the middle of a back three.

Morrison is both better and younger than Flint.