+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    isn't this more about air pollution than accident rates?
    The primary reason the Welsh Government keep saying is a reduction in fatalities and serious injuries, reducing the pressures on the NHS. I understand that 20mph in 3rd gear produces the same emissions as 30mph in 4th as revs are virtually the same.

In the link I provided earlier, Professor Cole says one reason for the speed reduction is to make car travel less attractive. In other words, the Welsh Government know that we can't keep putting more and more cars on the roads and this will hopefully result in fewer car journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The primary reason the Welsh Government keep saying is a reduction in fatalities and serious injuries, reducing the pressures on the NHS. I understand that 20mph in 3rd gear produces the same emissions as 30mph in 4th as revs are virtually the same.

In the link I provided earlier, Professor Cole says one reason for the speed reduction is to make car travel less attractive. In other words, the Welsh Government know that we can't keep putting more and more cars on the roads and this will hopefully result in fewer car journeys.
    Thanks for that Eric, Yup, you're spot on. i did 5 minutes of research and came up with the same answers you gave. There was some interesting stuff tat showed evidence towards people walking their kids to school more, now that the speed reduction had been reduced, and an increase in cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Thanks for that Eric, Yup, you're spot on. i did 5 minutes of research and came up with the same answers you gave. There was some interesting stuff tat showed evidence towards people walking their kids to school more, now that the speed reduction had been reduced, and an increase in cycling.
    I think that, as a population in general, we've become more and more used to making even the shortest journey by car, rather than walk, and it's become a habit. I doubt we'll see much of an increase in cycling in the valleys with all the hills, mind!

I used to teach for a music service where you get paid per lesson you taught. I had two reasonably full days but had to get around 7 schools in those 2 days. The increase in journey time would cost me half an hour of lesson time a day for each day and cost me financially around £700 a year. Thankfully I don't work for them any more but I know of friends who do, and they're expecting to lose over a grand in earnings a year. Who is going to reimburse that?

With the amount of traffic on Cardiff’s roads it’s very often nigh on impossible to hit 20mph.

I think that, as a population in general, we've become more and more used to making even the shortest journey by car, rather than walk, and it's become a habit. I doubt we'll see much of an increase in cycling in the valleys with all the hills, mind!

I used to teach for a music service where you get paid per lesson you taught. I had two reasonably full days but had to get around 7 schools in those 2 days. The increase in journey time would cost me half an hour of lesson time a day for each day and cost me financially around £700 a year. Thankfully I don't work for them any more but I know of friends who do, and they're expecting to lose over a grand in earnings a year. Who is going to reimburse that?
    Eric, this is by no means a flippant reply, i was self employed for 25 years, but i suppose the extra cost will have to be shouldered by the client. That's what i would do if more of my time was taken up in work. I know that it's not ideal for everyone, change rarely is.

Cardiff council haven't got that memo, they've just cancelled the free school bus from gwaelod y Garth to Radyr comp, meaning there will probably be an extra 10-20 cars crawling through Radyr each morning