+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fascism?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Fascism?

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Don't get hung up on semantics, I'm not playing that game.

Your opinion may be nowadays and the 30s are more alike than any other decade, but I just don't see it.
    You accuse me of being hung up on semantics, which I suppose gives you a means of ignoring the question I asked you if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You accuse me of being hung up on semantics, which I suppose gives you a means of ignoring the question I asked you if nothing else.
    I don't think any are like the 30s. To give one such reason, the current decade is not one of appeasement and conciliation, but of increased military spending and sabre rattling.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    I don't think any are like the 30s. To give one such reason, the current decade is not one of appeasement and conciliation, but of increased military spending and sabre rattling.
    Isn’t Ukraine proof that it’s a bit more than sabre rattling? You’re still not saying whether you think what we’re living through is the closest thing to the 30s in our lifetime's though, and, if you don’t, when has it been more like them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Isn’t Ukraine proof that it’s a bit more than sabre rattling? You’re still not saying whether you think what we’re living through is the closest thing to the 30s in our lifetime's though, and, if you don’t, when has it been more like them.
    What evidence do you have that we are?
    Aren't minorities better protected than ever?
    Aren't people coming in boats to enter the UK from abroad at the moment? I think the opposite was happening in 1930s Germany.
    Aren't far-right parties getting lower votes than at any point in the last 50 years?
    Is our country not being praised by Ukraine for standing up to Putins behaviour?

It would strike me as a reverse example of the Red Scare if it wasn't the case that some on the left always think that fascism is just around the corner.

There are worrying transfers of power from the individual to institutions that technology is enabling more than anything, but the government aren't slowly building fascism.