+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ukraine Conflict Getting Very Close

International

Re: Ukraine Conflict Getting Very Close

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    you do realise you could possibly be banished to somewhere unmentionable for quoting the times on here?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    you do realise you could possibly be banished to somewhere unmentionable for quoting the times on here?
    First link I came up with. There are many more. Probably a Guardian one somewhere

International

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    First link I came up with. There are many more. Probably a Guardian one somewhere
    you just saved yourself

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Everyone says 'stand up' to Putin, 'be firm', but the harsh reality is that cutting off wealthy Russians from their foreign wealth & assets wouldn't bother Putin 1 bit. Also the pipeline is crucial to Germany and if it is stopped/cut off, Putin has now even bigger markets in China for his gas. And China is the key. There's a 100 years of pent up resentment against the West and China is now in a position to throw it's weight around in a more public, direct manner. Depending on the West's response to any invasion of Ukraine, China will judge when and how to do the same to Taiwan. And because of China, Russia wouldn't invade Ukraine until after the end of the winter olympics, ie Wednesday.
    Think the Russian people won’t be so happy when they aren’t allowed to travel anywhere but China, are they even allowed into the UK now? Banned from Olympics, world cups, euros etc reckon they will soon be getting fed up with putins land grab, for no reason but to flex his muscles….like NATO are going to invade Russia ffs….or they don’t have enough land already….

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Cutting off the ability to spend money abroad is exactly how to hurt the Russians and Putin.
    Exactly, its those rich oligarch that keep Putin in place, but also keep their European counterpart s in theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    If China sides with Russia and then looks to expand ( they seem to have issues with borders anyway ) then it would be great to see the world shun them, our dependance of China for stuff is not a good place for the world to be, how we ( the rest of the world ) let ourselves get in this situation baffles me
    Capitalism, not that complicated.

Blimey ! Lucky it wasn't his other leg that got blown off !!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Everyone says 'stand up' to Putin, 'be firm', but the harsh reality is that cutting off wealthy Russians from their foreign wealth & assets wouldn't bother Putin 1 bit. Also the pipeline is crucial to Germany and if it is stopped/cut off, Putin has now even bigger markets in China for his gas. And China is the key. There's a 100 years of pent up resentment against the West and China is now in a position to throw it's weight around in a more public, direct manner. Depending on the West's response to any invasion of Ukraine, China will judge when and how to do the same to Taiwan. And because of China, Russia wouldn't invade Ukraine until after the end of the winter olympics, ie Wednesday.
    Of course it will affect Putin. Much of the wealth held by him and his acolytes are tied up accounts and property in the west. They don't keep their wealth tied up in Roubles.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Capitalism, not that complicated.
    Correct. There's very little that we buy that isn't from China or has origins in China. We're f*cked basically. We aren't self-sufficient in the West and Europe hasn't learned from history.

As far as Ukraine is concerned, wheat production and global supply are hugely important. We've become lazy and bloated in the West, stupid and self-entitled. We're just as corrupt and greedy. We ask no uncomfortable questions as to where the cheap products come from or who makes them or how they are made.

I see that Putin has had the presence of mind to move his luxury super yacht from its dock in Hamburg, where it has been undergoing a refit for the last two years
    . No doubt, he did this in anticipation of possible sanctions.
    The yacht is reported to be worth an estimated $100 million. Why the hell don't the Russian public ask how he can afford such a lavish item on his official salary?
    I thought the Russian people were strong willed, but they appear not to want to rock the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I see that Putin has had the presence of mind to move his luxury super yacht from its dock in Hamburg, where it has been undergoing a refit for the last two years
    The yacht is reported to be worth an estimated $100 million. Why the hell don't the Russian public ask how he can afford such a lavish item on his official salary?
    I thought the Russian people were strong willed, but they appear not to want to rock the boat.
    Or at least not rock it until the decorators have finished and are safely on dry land.

what do you think would happen to any journalists to print a story about Putin having a luxury yacht?

Or at least not rock it until the decorators have finished and are safely on dry land.
    Geez, I left myself wide open for that, didn't I!

Every person on the planet should be asking that question. Every leader. Every government. It's obscene wealth and power. But it's not just the Russian people who are responsible. We all are.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Every person on the planet should be asking that question. Every leader. Every government. It's obscene wealth and power. But it's not just the Russian people who are responsible. We all are.
    The trouble is it's going to take more than some journalist in London or a politician in Washington to unsettle Putin. It has to come from within.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what do you think would happen to any journalists to print a story about Putin having a luxury yacht?
    Poisoned, put in jail I would imagine?

What do you think if hundreds of thousands of Russians protested on the streets of Moscow?

Poisoned, put in jail I would imagine?

What do you think if hundreds of thousands of Russians protested on the streets of Moscow?
    Carnage. They're up against all internal powers and the military. It's pretty grim.

Carnage. They're up against all internal powers and the military. It's pretty grim.
    I'm not so sure. If they could gather 100's of thousands, with people armed with mobile phone cameras nowadays and the Internet. It might not be so easy to suppress, as it previously was.

Geez, I left myself wide open for that, didn't I!
    I just wanted to tap it in before Taunton tbh

You really believe all of the people outside Russia are responsible for what goes on there? We cannot control what’s happening there and neither can the elected politicians of the Western Alliance nor any other Country.

I'm not so sure. If they could gather 100's of thousands, with people armed with mobile phone cameras nowadays and the Internet. It might not be so easy to suppress, as it previously was.
    has anyone found the bristol bog demolition team yet

I just wanted to tap it in before Taunton tbh
    That was perfectly set up for one of his 'one-liners' to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    has anyone found the bristol bog demolition team yet
    Could be worth a try, airdropping them into the Moscow suburbs.

Sorry for the overuse of the emoticon in this thread. I'm on my phone and haven't figured out how to do other emoticons)