+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fixed football matches BBC 1 Wales tonight 20.00

Fixed football matches BBC 1 Wales tonight 20.00

I'm old enough to remember the Sheffield Wednesday betting scandal of 1962. 'Bronco' Layne, suggested to his fellow players Peter Swan and Tony Kay that they ensure the outcome of a match against Ipswich and the three all bet against their own side in the match, which Ipswich Town won 2–0. The shocking part of this story for me was that Swan had 19 England caps and Kay was also an England international and was the most expensive footballer at the time.

Even Liverpool are not exempt from a betting scandal. 'Keeper Bruce Grobbelaar is believed to have attempted to throw three matches when playing for 'Pool and two when at Southampton. He is reported to have said after one failed attempt to throw a game, "I dived the wrong way and it f***ing hit my hand”.

Tonight BBC 1 Wales 20.00 is screening The Hidden World of Football about corruption in the lower leagues which features proof suggested by recorded betting patterns. A Welsh football club apparently is implicated.

The 'beautiful game', huh!

Re: Fixed football matches BBC 1 Wales tonight 20.00

How about the game when Cardiff under Jimmy Andrews , were home to Orient in the last game of the season. Orient needed to win, and did so, all too easily,against a Bluebirds team that to me, were “ on the beach. Anyone else go to that game, that day ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    How about the game when Cardiff under Jimmy Andrews , were home to Orient in the last game of the season. Orient needed to win, and did so, all too easily,against a Bluebirds team that to me, were “ on the beach. Anyone else go to that game, that day ?
    Think it was a bit like mid-table Hull putting on their slippers allowing Swansea City to remain in League 2 in 2003. Did you go to that game, that day?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Think it was a bit like mid-table Hull putting on their slippers allowing Swansea City to remain in League 2 in 2003. Did you go to that game, that day?
    West Germany v Austria in the World Cup in 82 , was apparently a strange one

If you had a multi-billion dollar industry would you leave it up to chance?

Its all fixed, its entertainment, to be fair WWF is probably the most authentic professional sport these days

Fulhham's revival when bottom of 1st Div. 61/62 which sent City down was very suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    I was there but as has been mentioned this was more an 'on the beach' moment. Another one which didn't go to plan was at home to Luton in the 81/82 season. final game, Luton already promoted, City needed a win to stay up. In the 1st 10 minutes City had 3 1-on-1's with their keeper but fluffed each one ! Luton eased into a 3-0 lead then stopped playing again as City scored twice right at the end. Not a betting fix, but certainly one of those where Luton were happy to give the game to City..

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the Sheffield Wednesday betting scandal of 1962. 'Bronco' Layne, suggested to his fellow players Peter Swan and Tony Kay that they ensure the outcome of a match against Ipswich and the three all bet against their own side in the match, which Ipswich Town won 2–0. The shocking part of this story for me was that Swan had 19 England caps and Kay was also an England international and was the most expensive footballer at the time.

Even Liverpool are not exempt from a betting scandal. 'Keeper Bruce Grobbelaar is believed to have attempted to throw three matches when playing for 'Pool and two when at Southampton. He is reported to have said after one failed attempt to throw a game, "I dived the wrong way and it f***ing hit my hand”.

Tonight BBC 1 Wales 20.00 is screening The Hidden World of Football about corruption in the lower leagues which features proof suggested by recorded betting patterns. A Welsh football club apparently is implicated.

The 'beautiful game', huh!
    I can remember reading about that Sheffield match fixing scandal in a football encyclopedia I had in the early 90s, and thinking it seemed like ancient history, impossibly long ago to even be at all relevant. That must be how school kids today think about the start of the premier league

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I can remember reading about that Sheffield match fixing scandal in a football encyclopedia I had in the early 90s, and thinking it seemed like ancient history, impossibly long ago to even be at all relevant.
    I think I might just take umbrage at that......

Bet Coventry v Bristol City in the 70s is one of them. Jimmy Hill got the game kicked off after Sunderland were kicking off. One of the three were going to get relegated. After the Sunderland result came in, Coventry and the Wurzels played out for the draw, which kept both clubs up and relegated Sunderland

I did hear stories from older city fans that Danny malloy was rumoured to bet against the city. Scored enough own goals to prove it a possibility.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    I did hear stories from older city fans that Danny malloy was rumoured to bet against the city. Scored enough own goals to prove it a possibility.
    Spedger
    Never heard anything like that about him. He was a stalwart for the City during his time here. Captained them to promotion to 1st division. Best centre half I’ve see at City in my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Spedger
    How to rubbish a City legend in one easy lesson. A second hand story based on nothing more than rumours from other unknown people, most of whom are now probably deceased. Sounds more like a Wales Online story to me

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I think I might just take umbrage at that......
    i was in school at the time and it seemed like pre-history

Well, I watched the programme, and it was a bit something and nothing. Yes, Bangor got stitched up by a chancer, and he had some links to dodgy people, but there was nothing you could pin on anyone. Nobody committed themselves to anything while being recorded - it was almost as if they had sussed out early on, that the guy fishing for leads was actually a journalist. A few suggestions and rumours to keep him interested, but no-one really gave anything away. And the programme didn't really explain what happened to Bangor. Are they still going - because it looked like they were?