+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's 2022

The Welsh language is as far as I am aware as strong as its been in my lifetime

It's never going to die and those of us who don't speak Welsh and do not wish to but are middle of the road people with often Welsh, Irish, English and sometimes other roots .....do not want the language to die out

But what is the point in 2022 in the FAW changing the name of the team ?

We know for most of us It's still Wales .....so what is the point ?

Publicity ?
    They could have had vote on it , rather than just change it.

Wales football is fashionable at the moment but it can change quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Wales/Cymru live on BBC2 now
    Excellent , I have the choice

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Because 70% of the population cant speak Welsh. It is wrong to pander to the minority and therefore marginalise the majority. It is about time that the majority stood up to be counted against the vociferous and sometimes fanatical minority who basically run the country. Just because someone doesn’t speak the language doesn't make them any less Welsh or important.
    I don't know if you are serious as a poster or you get some warped pleasure from always countering anyone's point

How is having both languages pandering to anyone - it is treating both equally even though welsh is the native tongue

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    They could have had vote on it , rather than just change it.

Wales football is fashionable at the moment but it can change quickly.
    Well apparently they have asked the players , the staff etc but not the fans

Well apparently they have asked the players , the staff etc but not the fans
    I'll wager here that if they ask their Y Wal Goch / The Red Wall membership they'll go for Cymru. During the last few campaigns the FA announcements always refer to the team as 'Cymru'.

Marketing ploy, expression of identity, (I don't believe its) a political statement for independence, I'm not bothered? People who don't watch Cymru/Wales then getting their hands on their arrse about it stink of middle aged whoppers who got fuuck all else to worry about.

Only an opinion butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I'll wager here that if they ask their Y Wal Goch / The Red Wall membership they'll go for Cymru. During the last few campaigns the FA announcements always refer to the team as 'Cymru'.

Marketing ploy, expression of identity, (I don't believe its) a political statement for independence, I'm not bothered? People who don't watch Cymru/Wales then getting their hands on their arrse about it stink of middle aged whoppers who got fuuck all else to worry about.

Only an opinion butt.
    Well I do watch Wales , they are my team

If Wales goes independent the plight of the football team will be the least of our worries and if the yes cymru lot use this as a leg up then I hope people are not crying over their breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I find it amazing that we don't call our country by its own name in its own language.
    Exactly mate, you’d think some in here were tortured and forced to listen to Welsh folk songs for years on end.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Absolutely, but it's entirely plausible that national sports teams have a part to play in such things, after all they're one of the most obvious expressions of national identity there is. One argument would be that the national team being called Cymru helps normalise the language further and encourage more speakers which lines up with your point on language/national survival.

I can think of a few reasons the FAW have done this. Firstly they get press from it, secondly it would line up the national team with the domestic system which already uses it so it's a fairly natural progression, thirdly it gives them a nice point of differentiation when it comes to marketing, fourthly it continues on a path they've been going down for a while.

And the big secret is you can continue to call the team Wales if you want! Noel Mooney and the Pontcanna Crachach won't come to your house and burn it down if you call the team Wales. There's been a big overreaction to this but there really is a certain irony to people who were presumably belting out the national anthem and Yma O Hyd a few months ago being so annoyed by the use of the Welsh language
    Marketing? If only. Not seen any marketing for the WC as of yet. Apart from today's announcement endorsing Yma o Hyd as the offiicial World cup song, absolutely sweet FA about the World Cup.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Marketing? If only. Not seen any marketing for the WC as of yet. Apart from today's announcement endorsing Yma o Hyd as the offiicial World cup song, absolutely sweet FA about the World Cup.
    Spedger
    I imagine it'll start to ramp up now as we get nearer the tournament

I've seen a few adverts with Welsh players in

Imagine every time someone in the sporting media mentions 'Alba', for Scotland- they'd p*ss themselves laughing.

Well I do watch Wales , they are my team

If Wales goes independent the plight of the football team will be the least of our worries and if the yes cymru lot use this as a leg up then I hope people are not crying over their breakfast
    Sludge, you been to the CCS lately to watch a Wales game? They've constantly referred themselves to Cymru for years.

Cymru is integral to the Welsh FA'S branding, league identity. I'm assuming they feel its gives them a more distinctive identity?

I remember scarves, rosettes and hats with Cymru am byth on during the 70s/80s. I can't remember anyone getting their knickers in a twirl then?

Wales/Cymru who fuucking cares? People who feel it's a political or nationalistic statement need their heads examining.

lets see..in turkiye the speal turkish...and in england they speak speak english...and in wales they speak waleish..wait what! Even in Swedish you speak cymriska
    caerdydd dinas pêl-droed clwb CDPC

So everyone can start calling us Sim-roo? Can't wait.

Sludge, you been to the CCS lately to watch a Wales game? They've constantly referred themselves to Cymru for years.

Cymru is integral to the Welsh FA'S branding, league identity. I'm assuming they feel its gives them a more distinctive identity?

I remember scarves, rosettes and hats with Cymru am byth on during the 70s/80s. I can't remember anyone getting their knickers in a twirl then?

Wales/Cymru who fuucking cares? People who feel it's a political or nationalistic statement need their heads examining.
    Scarves with Welsh writing on them is different to the FAW instructing the management and players referring to the team as Cymru

You need to read the interview provided if you havnt

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    lets see..in turkiye the speal turkish...and in england they speak speak english...and in wales they speak waleish..wait what! Even in Swedish you speak cymriska
    caerdydd dinas pêl-droed clwb CDPC
    CCFC is a lot easier

Out of curiosity, how many of those who are moaning about Wales being named in its own language would rather a national anthem in English?

Scarves with Welsh writing on them is different to the FAW instructing the management and players referring to the team as Cymru

You need to read the interview provided if you havnt
    I've read the article. Mooney states they refer to themselves as Cymru. Have I missed anything? Don't see any indoctrination programme evident from anything Mooney has said.

Just another thing, hasn't most of the Welsh merchandise that is available have Cymru on it instead of Wales? Pretty sure my kids official bobble hat and scarf has Cymru not Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    When the glory spell we are currently in is over, they will leave us alone and we can just be Wales again. I guess they have to jump on something as the rugby team is doing so badly….
    Which to be fair was made up of a lot of Mid Wales and North Wales fans, likelihood being Welsh speakers than those from the bright lights of the cities in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyway, Caerdydd are home on Wednesday
    Some of our esteemed forum members have been referring to our Western cousins by their Welsh name of Abertawe for years

Well ahead of the curve on here

I've read the article. Mooney states they refer to themselves as Cymru. Have I missed anything? Don't see any indoctrination programme evident from anything Mooney has said.

Just another thing, hasn't most of the Welsh merchandise that is available have Cymru on it instead of Wales? Pretty sure my kids official bobble hat and scarf has Cymru not Wales.
    He talks about direction of travel

What's he on about ?

It's bloody nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Agree with that. I was going to mention Gales, Pays de gals etc. But i stand by my comment that the FAW should be concentrating on teh up and coming WC instead of the name change.
    Spedger
    To be fair i suspect they are and listening to the Elis James Podcast and Mark Evans the other week, all preparations are done, its only the squad to be picked. 3 weeks off, some down time, they probably had a blue sky thinking session.

He says they have talked to stakeholders and people with an interest in this

That's not included the fans ?

Stop being so calm and reasonable, this is clearly an attempt by the Cymric speaking overlords of Pontcanna to take over everything and stop the M4 relief road, or something

Joking aside what this has done is show how out of step some of the forum are with the Welsh setup/fanbase, like you said I imagine if it was voted on by FAW members then they'd go for Cymru and the atmosphere at games is definitely one that embraces the Welsh language and Welsh-language culture (they had Dafydd Iwan on the pitch ffs!). And that isn't down to supposed bandwagons either, it's been like it for some time and the FAW have tapped into it as well and they have done for some time

You're also absolutely right on the point regarding the FAW's branding, calling the national team Cymru is the logical next step to ensure consistency across their brand

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I find it amazing that we don't call our country by its own name in its own language.
    I've never understood why a name is ever translated, especially as a country. I wouldn't be surprised that a few on here arguing for maintaining Wales, think Spain and Germany are called that in German and Spanish.

Apart from already deliberately calling the team ‘Cymru’ instead of Wales, I see that they are now adopting that awful song Yma O Hyd as the official Wales World Cup anthem. They said something about it being recorded at CCFC stadium during the qualifiers and ‘sung by 70000 Welsh fans’. I very much doubt it - hardly anybody knows the words, including the players. Plus they played the song at full volume over the crowd anyway.