+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    There's literally someone in this thread saying he'll go and support England if this happens.
    I think to be fair he was joking

I hope

Because I won't ever be supporting them whatever we are called

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    See ya
    See ya, because I have English parents ?

What Premiership club do you like ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sing what you want when you want in Welsh, in English and support the team

But let's not kid ourselves here the success of the Welsh football team is being used as a step ladder

The Welsh language and the country of Wales will survive by people speaking Welsh and the Welsh national team will be stronger by Welsh people supporting Welsh football teams

Not by renaming the Welsh side Cymru

For many Welsh speakers it already is and for many Welsh speakers it is Wales

I have absolutely no idea why the FAW are coming through with this , it's a load of cobblers
    Absolutely, but it's entirely plausible that national sports teams have a part to play in such things, after all they're one of the most obvious expressions of national identity there is. One argument would be that the national team being called Cymru helps normalise the language further and encourage more speakers which lines up with your point on language/national survival.

I can think of a few reasons the FAW have done this. Firstly they get press from it, secondly it would line up the national team with the domestic system which already uses it so it's a fairly natural progression, thirdly it gives them a nice point of differentiation when it comes to marketing, fourthly it continues on a path they've been going down for a while.

And the big secret is you can continue to call the team Wales if you want! Noel Mooney and the Pontcanna Crachach won't come to your house and burn it down if you call the team Wales. There's been a big overreaction to this but there really is a certain irony to people who were presumably belting out the national anthem and Yma O Hyd a few months ago being so annoyed by the use of the Welsh language

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s a hell of a fascinating subject. Living is Poland certainly gives me a different insight into this part of the world and the dynamics and shifting that taken place. How the young Poles view part of Poland as German or Prussian still but places like Lviv as Polish. Poland basically went missing for 200 years, split up between Prussia, Russia & Austria.
    Have you been to the new World War 2 Museum in Gdansk? Well worth a visit.
    As part of my travels I always bone up on the history of a country and Poland has had an interesting history even before this century.

snip - 2022-10-31T175611.022.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    My language is English, same as all my family and friends. Therefore, we'd rather it was known as Wales.
    You presumably realise that the name Wales didn't originate from English if you trace the etymology back more than one step, old fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Have you been to the new World War 2 Museum in Gdansk? Well worth a visit.
    As part of my travels I always bone up on the history of a country and Poland has had an interesting history even before this century.

snip - 2022-10-31T175611.022.jpg
    Poland was colonial , of a sort ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It would be absolutely pathetic but if it pleased the likes of you to feel half Welsh then go for it
    When the glory spell we are currently in is over, they will leave us alone and we can just be Wales again. I guess they have to jump on something as the rugby team is doing so badly….

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It'll be a nightmare for the media deciding whether to pronounce it either come-roo, simroo, simree, or maybe even come-ree?
    Many of them struggle with Birminum🙄

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Well it will be translated around the world, nobody knows it as Wales outside English Speaking countries. It'll still be (Pays De) Gal·les where i live.
    Agree with that. I was going to mention Gales, Pays de gals etc. But i stand by my comment that the FAW should be concentrating on teh up and coming WC instead of the name change.
    Spedger

Anyway, Caerdydd are home on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyway, Caerdydd are home on Wednesday
    Give me a 'C'
    Give me an 'A'
    Give me an 'E'.......

Give me a 'C'
    Give me an 'A'
    Give me an 'E'.......
    Do any Cardiff City fans know the words to Men of Harlech ?

Give me a 'C'
    Give me an 'A'
    Give me an 'E'.......
    And a DD to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    See ya
    Half the Welsh squad were born in England for Euro 16

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...orn-in-england

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    See ya, because I have English parents ?

What Premiership club do you like ?
    Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Not comparable at all - why is it idiotic to be able to conduct your life in the language of your birthplace that you were raised with and understand and use daily?
    Because 70% of the population cant speak Welsh. It is wrong to pander to the minority and therefore marginalise the majority. It is about time that the majority stood up to be counted against the vociferous and sometimes fanatical minority who basically run the country. Just because someone doesn’t speak the language doesn't make them any less Welsh or important.

I thought it was Men have Horlicks?

In English it's "Der, der, der, der, der, der..." Helpfully enough it's the same in Cymraeg (Welsh).

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Because 70% of the population cant speak Welsh. It is wrong to pander to the minority and therefore marginalise the majority. It is about time that the majority stood up to be counted against the vociferous and sometimes fanatical minority who basically run the country. Just because someone doesn’t speak the language doesn't make them any less Welsh or important.
    Why is it wrong to try and keep alive a language that was almost wiped out by our neighbours?

Its hardly a hassle for anyone, you can call it Wales, others can call it Cymru. It's not as if we have many songs involving the words.

Why people are getting their knickers in a twist I don't know.

I find it amazing that we don't call our country by its own name in its own language.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Dear, oh dear...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I find it amazing that we don't call our country by its own name in its own language.
    It's 2022

The Welsh language is as far as I am aware as strong as its been in my lifetime

It's never going to die and those of us who don't speak Welsh and do not wish to but are middle of the road people with often Welsh, Irish, English and sometimes other roots .....do not want the language to die out

But what is the point in 2022 in the FAW changing the name of the team ?

We know for most of us It's still Wales .....so what is the point ?

Publicity ?

Wales/Cymru live on BBC2 now