+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    An easy one for me, i hate nationalism in all its forms so they can **** off. Its bad enough getting Dafydd Iwan on the pitch beforehand.
    So calling Wales Cymru is nationalism? I despair.

Its part of the (imho) aggressive push of the language which is absolutely tied to Welsh nationalism.

Its part of the (imho) aggressive push of the language which is absolutely tied to Welsh nationalism.
    Which I know they are doing for a fact, it’s happening with primary schools too in Cardiff. Trying to oust my kids out of their school to expand a nearby welsh language school, even though there is no proof they require it, they just want to do it. More cash per child being offered to be educated in welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So calling Wales Cymru is nationalism? I despair.
    No but it’s creeping in isn’t it.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No but it’s creeping in isn’t it.
    I was up my mums in Barry last week and was fitting some 100W LED lightbulbs for her, I was a few short so popped down the ASDA to get some, pulled out of the car park and they have built a primary school near it, now of course they need schools as they are building more homes, but what stood out to me was the welsh name " Ysgol something-or-other " so while chatting to my mum I mention it, she says one of her friends granddaughters goes to it, turns out its a welsh speaking primary school, but what surprised me most was that Holton road primary now has a welsh name, I googled it Ysgol Gynradd Holton Primary School, not you cant tell me many around the area speak welsh as a first language, so why the name change ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I was up my mums in Barry last week and was fitting some 100W LED lightbulbs for her, I was a few short so popped down the ASDA to get some, pulled out of the car park and they have built a primary school near it, now of course they need schools as they are building more homes, but what stood out to me was the welsh name " Ysgol something-or-other " so while chatting to my mum I mention it, she says one of her friends granddaughters goes to it, turns out its a welsh speaking primary school, but what surprised me most was that Holton road primary now has a welsh name, I googled it Ysgol Gynradd Holton Primary School, not you cant tell me many around the area speak welsh as a first language, so why the name change ? ?
    Hhmmmmm….exactly. Fortunately for us, when offered a mixed school site ( ie the racists I mean welshies were going to be given the smaller building out of the two on our school site for their key stage 1 little oshans, they refused as they didn’t want them mixing with all types of foreign kids we currently have at our cosmopolitan primary school. I think the council and wag are now trying to find another site to expand ysgol mynydd buchan or however it’s spelt ( heath park primary)

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Although I can only remember a scintilla of the Welsh I learned at school I do remember that 'ysgol' meant both school and ladder.
    I assumed that the connection was to do with elevation in both cases (physical and educational respectively) but when I looked into it a few months ago the two words come from different Latin/Greek origins i.e. the words for school (schola/skhola) and the Latin word for ladder/stairs (scala, which is presumably cognate with the verb 'to scale).

I bore myself sometimes......

On Monday I had the pleasure of being a part of the opening ceremony of the World Kickboxing Championship at Cardiff Castle. I spoke for a short while to a Canadian lady, who was delighted to hear the choir I was with singing Yma O Hyd in Welsh. She had stayed in Cardiff over the weekend and was disappointed not to have heard any Welsh at all as she moved around the city.

In short, she said we should be so proud as a country to have our own language. We should be proud of something that is a big part of our identity as a country and we need to do everything we can to protect, promote and use it. To hear that from someone who lives that far away was quite something.
    But isn't that what is happening ?

People who think this is daft are not on the whole anti Welsh or anti Welsh language

This is a modern country that saw waves of English and Irish immigration into the valleys to dig coal and immigration from all over the world to grow its population centres

It's 2022 and Welsh is strong according to my Welsh speaking mates .

Is renaming the Welsh football team as Cymru doing everything this woman suggests is needed to promote the language and associated culture ?

It's no good if people in New York know about the Welsh language and how proud we are but all the blokes down the pub in pontypridd support the English team man United

You obviously don't know then.
    I know what it means

It's an old English word for outsider

It really doesn't bother most people at all when they find out

So outsider , do you support Welsh independence and if you do what about Cardiff City

I accept that you are concerned that people in Wales might call the country by its own proper name in its own language.
    How long have you been speaking Welsh as a living language ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    How long have you been speaking Welsh as a living language ?
    So Wales shouldn't be called Cymru?

Yes Cymru are promoted in the welsh press and media as being a growing movement regarding Welsh independence

I think it's a con trick

If Wales was hurtling towards independence why do Plaid Cymru have less backing than the dreaded tories and why are marches of a few thousand people in Cardiff reported as significant ?

Yes Cymru are promoted in the welsh press and media as being a growing movement regarding Welsh independence

I think it's a con trick

If Wales was hurtling towards independence why do Plaid Cymru have less backing than the dreaded tories and why are marches of a few thousand people in Cardiff reported as significant ?
    In fairness, you see South Wales as an extended part of the SW of England and have said so several times.

If you don't hate it, I don't see the problem.
    You can object to something without hating it

I object to motor racing , darts and snooker on the TV and it bores me but I don't hate it

So Wales shouldn't be called Cymru?
    The question I have asked you is how long have you been speaking Welsh?

The question I have asked you is how long have you been speaking Welsh?
    Ask away. It's utterly irrelevant.

In fairness, you see South Wales as an extended part of the SW of England and have said so several times.
    Well the history of South East Wales since industrialisation is closer to Bristol and Gloucester than it is the rolling hills of dyfed

Or are you saying that's incorrect ?

Bristol , Somerset etc is a mixture of urban , semi urban and rural communities and is densely populated and cosmopolitan

Just like South East Wales

And very much unlike the rest of Wales

Non ?

Well the history of South East Wales since industrialisation is closer to Bristol and Gloucester than it is the rolling hills of dyfed

Or are you saying that's incorrect ?

Bristol , Somerset etc is a mixture of urban , semi urban and rural communities and is densely populated and cosmopolitan

Just like South East Wales

And very much unlike the rest of Wales

Non ?
    Up to you, but it explains why you see yourself as barely Welsh.

Ask away. It's utterly irrelevant.
    Well that may be determined later

Are you a lifelong Welsh speaker or an adult learner

Or what

Well that may be determined later

Are you a lifelong Welsh speaker or an adult learner

Or what
    Determine it now.

Just to summarise here....I'm NOT anti-Welsh language or any language.

Mrs Citizen is English and has been learning Welsh for years now and even has her own WhatApp group in Welsh.

I think the FAW are a bunch of tossers though and I think there's massive hypocrisy surrounding Wales and Welsh football for the reasons I've already stated.

Up to you, but it explains why you see yourself as barely Welsh.
    Well I don't see myself as barely Welsh

I was born here, went to school here and returned here after university and early work years

I spend my money here , I voted for the Welsh assembly , I go on holiday in Wales, I follow the football team that represents the capital city of this country and when Wales are playing football I don't support England or Iceland , I support Wales

This country has changed since 1800 and these days the area we live in has more in common with North Somerset, Tyneside , West Yorkshire etc

That means people from all over the place live here and not everybody is Welsh or speaks Welsh

In fact most of us don't. I know the language was trampled on but thankfully it's strong .

However much you want the country to be like you want it to be with its own parliament and its own tax raising powers and its independence the majority of people want and support a strong language but want to be in the same sort of legal and financial system as people in Somerset, Yorkshire and Cornwall .

I think you are a nationalist and the reason why you grab hold of luckies like the FAW is that it brings you closer to what you want .

Well I don't see myself as barely Welsh

I was born here, went to school here and returned here after university and early work years

I spend my money here , I voted for the Welsh assembly , I go on holiday in Wales, I follow the football team that represents the capital city of this country and when Wales are playing football I don't support England or Iceland , I support Wales

This country has changed since 1800 and these days the area we live in has more in common with North Somerset, Tyneside , West Yorkshire etc

That means people from all over the place live here and not everybody is Welsh or speaks Welsh

In fact most of us don't. I know the language was trampled on but thankfully it's strong .

However much you want the country to be like you want it to be with its own parliament and its own tax raising powers and its independence the majority of people want and support a strong language but want to be in the same sort of legal and financial system as people in Somerset, Yorkshire and Cornwall .

I think you are a nationalist and the reason why you grab hold of luckies like the FAW is that it brings you closer to what you want .
    Congratulations for completely misrepresenting me on all counts and talking rubbish.

Determine it now.
    I think you are a Welsh learner

I think you are a Welsh learner
    Perhaps you will explain the point to this.