+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Re: Wales considering renaming as Cymru

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I don't get the reference to Turkey. Are they saying the Turks, officially and unofficially used to call themselves Turkey?

There's very different reasons why a Welsh person would happily call the team "Wales". For me it's being as I don't speak Welsh and the language is as foreign to me as Turkish. Rightly or wrongly.

Why confuse the international population anymore? Most barely know Wales as it is.
    Ironic as the etymology of Wales is old English for foreigner, much the same as Walloon is in Belgium. Wales came about because in Old Saxon, these lands were Wealas - the plural for foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm not against the concept but it would look pretty half-arsed if the country didn't change its name politically as well.
    My argument is simple TBG. A change to Cymru will need to be politically driven and come from The Senedd. Once that ball starts rolling I argue that Cymraeg football clubs will have no place playing in the ENGLISH football league.

It would be the end of Cardiff City as we know it.

UEFA has three official languages - English, French, and German. Does Noel Mooney also want us to be called Cymru instead of Pays de Galles in French?

If the FAW want change - then bring it on, firstly you have to be pure Welsh to get in the squad none of this my great grandad visited snowdonia once upon a time. secondly all Welsh teams play in Welsh leagues like Scotland and Ireland.
    Cymru am Byth 🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Sludge, you're interpreting the use of 'Cymru' as a political and nationalist statement.

It's obviously a marketing tool and and an expression of identity.

If the Welsh FA ask their Red Wall members, I bet Cymru gets voted through? Not everyone of those who would vote for it, would be a raving nationalist.
    It's all marketing, but it is a peculiar marketing strategy isn't it? The name Cymru is fundementally unknown around the world, whereas the name Wales is, even if people can't point to it on a map.

Domestically, Cymru will appeal to some, but I would suggest they already feel pretty at home watching international games and are welcome to call the team Cymru if they wish anyway. For the bulk of the country the team is Wales. I suppose a new name would intrigue some internationally, make them look up the countries history and all the rest. More likely though, people will wonder who the fk 'Cymru' are and make jokes about cum or something.

Just seems a strange strategy for me. Sometimes what works domestically doesn't work internationally or vice versa. In this case, I'm not sure the marketing would work for anyone.

Compared to Jonathan Ford, I'm increasingly questioning Noel Mooney's methods now. This strikes me as stiring a pot that doesn't need stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    My argument is simple TBG. A change to Cymru will need to be politically driven and come from The Senedd. Once that ball starts rolling I argue that Cymraeg football clubs will have no place playing in the ENGLISH football league.

Some top level mental gymnastics going on here

A bit of a runaway and doom-laden train there, old fruit.

EbHpXKr (1).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So calling Wales Cymru is nationalism? I despair.
    No but it’s creeping in isn’t it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Its part of the (imho) aggressive push of the language which is absolutely tied to Welsh nationalism.
    Which I know they are doing for a fact, it’s happening with primary schools too in Cardiff. Trying to oust my kids out of their school to expand a nearby welsh language school, even though there is no proof they require it, they just want to do it. More cash per child being offered to be educated in welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A bit of a runaway and doom-laden train there, old fruit.

EbHpXKr (1).jpg
    Something to agree on!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    Some top level mental gymnastics going on here
    This seems to be the stock answer for people who can't construct an argument and debate.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No but it’s creeping in isn’t it.
    I was up my mums in Barry last week and was fitting some 100W LED lightbulbs for her, I was a few short so popped down the ASDA to get some, pulled out of the car park and they have built a primary school near it, now of course they need schools as they are building more homes, but what stood out to me was the welsh name " Ysgol something-or-other " so while chatting to my mum I mention it, she says one of her friends granddaughters goes to it, turns out its a welsh speaking primary school, but what surprised me most was that Holton road primary now has a welsh name, I googled it Ysgol Gynradd Holton Primary School, not you cant tell me many around the area speak welsh as a first language, so why the name change ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Nah, you're the one talking cobblers as per usual. BY this logic you shouldnt support Cardiff City. You dont even live in Cardiff.

Cobblers

Ask your taffy mates in Merthyr what part of Manchester or Liverpool they come from

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I was up my mums in Barry last week and was fitting some 100W LED lightbulbs for her, I was a few short so popped down the ASDA to get some, pulled out of the car park and they have built a primary school near it, now of course they need schools as they are building more homes, but what stood out to me was the welsh name " Ysgol something-or-other " so while chatting to my mum I mention it, she says one of her friends granddaughters goes to it, turns out its a welsh speaking primary school, but what surprised me most was that Holton road primary now has a welsh name, I googled it Ysgol Gynradd Holton Primary School, not you cant tell me many around the area speak welsh as a first language, so why the name change ? ?
    Hhmmmmm….exactly. Fortunately for us, when offered a mixed school site ( ie the racists I mean welshies were going to be given the smaller building out of the two on our school site for their key stage 1 little oshans, they refused as they didn’t want them mixing with all types of foreign kids we currently have at our cosmopolitan primary school. I think the council and wag are now trying to find another site to expand ysgol mynydd buchan or however it’s spelt ( heath park primary)

This seems to be the stock answer for people who can't construct an argument and debate.
    Ive got better things to do with my time then construct an argument and debate with lunatics coming out with such outrageous conspiracy theories. Im finding the hysterics on the thread highly amusing. Carry on.

Off topic, but didn't Sam Hammam once propose we formally change our name to Dinas Caerdydd CPD?

I have some weird manifesto thing the club produced in 2001 or thereabouts talking about a new name, a new badge with a dragon, embracing welshness and all that jazz.

Remember Ali ? What seemed like 10 minutes of Welsh drivel before every home game, just to show his Welsh credentials..

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Although I can only remember a scintilla of the Welsh I learned at school I do remember that 'ysgol' meant both school and ladder.
    I assumed that the connection was to do with elevation in both cases (physical and educational respectively) but when I looked into it a few months ago the two words come from different Latin/Greek origins i.e. the words for school (schola/skhola) and the Latin word for ladder/stairs (scala, which is presumably cognate with the verb 'to scale).

I bore myself sometimes......

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Off topic, but didn't Sam Hammam once propose we formally change our name to Dinas Caerdydd CPD?

I have some weird manifesto thing the club produced in 2001 or thereabouts talking about a new name, a new badge with a dragon, embracing welshness and all that jazz.
    Soup is our food

I'm not wishing to be rude mate but have you read The Guardian article?

“But I think 2023 will be a year when we have a good discussion with all the different stakeholders – governments, our own boards, councils and decision-making bodies, staff, club and players".
    What in that quote is twatish?

Think welsh is the 4th most used language in cardiff isn’t it? I barely know anyone who speaks it, those who do all went to glantaff or a few who moved down from the north.

4th?

According to this link which City123 provided earlier in the thread there are 102,000 Welsh-speakers in Cardiff.

https://gov.wales/welsh-language-dat...2021-june-2022

I’d imagine that Polish, Somali, Potuguese, Arabic, Gujerati, Farsi, Hindi, Urdu, Sylheti and Punjabi are the most common languages in Cardiff other than Welsh or English but there is no way that any of them have anywhere near 100,000 speakers.

Think welsh is the 4th most used language in cardiff isn’t it? I barely know anyone who speaks it, those who do all went to glantaff or a few who moved down from the north.
    Right and wales only represents Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    What in that quote is twatish?
    It's what's not in it

The fans

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    4th?

According to this link which City123 provided earlier in the thread there are 102,000 Welsh-speakers in Cardiff.

https://gov.wales/welsh-language-dat...2021-june-2022

I’d imagine that Polish, Somali, Potuguese, Arabic, Gujerati, Farsi, Hindi, Urdu, Sylheti and Punjabi are the most common languages in Cardiff other than Welsh or English but there is no way that any of them have anywhere near 100,000 speakers.
    100000 people in Cardiff speak Welsh?

That's absolute cobblers

400000 people or so in Cardiff ?

A quarter of the population of the city speak Welsh?

No way

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's all marketing, but it is a peculiar marketing strategy isn't it? The name Cymru is fundementally unknown around the world, whereas the name Wales is, even if people can't point to it on a map.

Domestically, Cymru will appeal to some, but I would suggest they already feel pretty at home watching international games and are welcome to call the team Cymru if they wish anyway. For the bulk of the country the team is Wales. I suppose a new name would intrigue some internationally, make them look up the countries history and all the rest. More likely though, people will wonder who the fk 'Cymru' are and make jokes about cum or something.

Just seems a strange strategy for me. Sometimes what works domestically doesn't work internationally or vice versa. In this case, I'm not sure the marketing would work for anyone.

Compared to Jonathan Ford, I'm increasingly questioning Noel Mooney's methods now. This strikes me as stiring a pot that doesn't need stirring.
    To be fair, people already take the piss out of Wales sounding like "whales", maybe sex jokes are an untapped market?