+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hudson on Colwill

Re: Hudson on Colwill

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Excuses galore from City and yet Wales don’t have a problem with picking Colwill in squads for major tournaments and he’s now played in a World Cup. We’re hearing talk about Colwill not fulfilling his promise and that may turn out to be true, but for now he’s not getting the chance to prove it one way or another.

We’re in the ludicrous situation where some pundits are seeing Colwill as the future of Welsh football after the era ending World Cup and yet his relegation struggling club, the lowest scorers in their division, seem determined to give him as little game time as possible. Another consideration in these financially troubled times is that he should be our most saleable asset, yet the way he’s being treated means his value is depreciating by the game.
    Quite.

It is all very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Colwill has started two games for Wales. There is a big difference between playing regularly in the Championship and making cameo appearances off the bench in international football. Anyone who thinks he is the future of Welsh football at this point in time needs their head examined.
    Don't you find it A BIT strange that he seems to be able to get into the Wales side (including a WC team) and yet struggles to get picked regularly for his (relegation threatened) club?

Because I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    How times have changed. Back in the day, a young player growing was seen as a positive, it meant he was getting bigger and stronger.
    Now it's being looked at as some kind of hindrance to his development.

Hudson said:
    "It's our job to get him firing on all cylinders. Then, well, what a player we've got."

To me that statement is a bit premature. He'll need to improve his decision making (Colwill) during play and get help from some running coach to try and improve his speed.
    Back in the day we sent kids up chimneys and down mines. What point are you trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    What is EJFOF?
    Elis James Feast of Football podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Back in the day we sent kids up chimneys and down mines. What point are you trying to make?
    Your analogy is quite poor. I'm talking about player development and you're talking about sending kids up chimneys?

I'll just leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by 61adb View Post
    Elis James Feast of Football podcast.
    Ah, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    How many 20-year-old footballers who play for a Championship club have over 100 first-team appearances?
    This is a 20 year old though who’s being touted as our salvation, he’s made 55 appearances as it is, since his debut season the City have played, maybe, 125/130 games in that period. The excuses for him being unavailable seem bizarre yet the national team include him, even took him to the last Euros shortly after his City debut. So, yes, there aren’t many 20 year olds with Championship clubs who’ve over 100 appearances under their belt but, equally, there aren’t many, if any, 20 year olds with Championship clubs who’ve been to a Euros and a World Cup yet haven’t made a full breakthrough at their (19th placed) club. It is a strange situation.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    This is a 20 year old though who’s being touted as our salvation, he’s made 55 appearances as it is, since his debut season the City have played, maybe, 125/130 games in that period. The excuses for him being unavailable seem bizarre yet the national team include him, even took him to the last Euros shortly after his City debut. So, yes, there aren’t many 20 year olds with Championship clubs who’ve over 100 appearances under their belt but, equally, there aren’t many, if any, 20 year olds with Championship clubs who’ve been to a Euros and a World Cup yet haven’t made a full breakthrough at their (19th placed) club. It is a strange situation.
    Maybe it is also, in part, an indication of the desperation of the Welsh management to get some "youth with promise" embedded into their squad structure before the old guard finally step down.

I'd guess Colwill was fifteen or sixteen (possibly a little younger) when I saw him for the first time - he's always been one of the tallest players on the pitch in any match I've seen him play. Occasionally, I'd by with the poster called Lormaski watching him and we once simultaneously likened him to Jason Fowler one time - in my case, I was thinking in terms of someone of a certain size who is a completely different type of player than you might expect him to be.

We're not talking some Scott McTominay type ten inches in two years type transformation here. Go back just under two years and Mick McCarthy was talking about how big Colwill was then. I've always been convinced that this had a part to play in McCarthy's willingness to play him in the first team at eighteen. I'm sorry,, but having seen him play just three days ago, I still don't see any evidence of Colwill having shot up since he first started appearing in City's senior side during the 20/21 season.

I'm struck by the contrast we see from City when it comes to Colwill and someone like Joe Ledley. I watched Ledley playing for what would have been our reserve team at the age of sixteen at around this time of year and then noticing the big difference in him about eight months later when I saw him at the start of the 04/05 season. All of a sudden, Joe had shot up a two or three inches and looked ready to play men's football - the transformation in Ledley in those few months represented more of a "growth spurt" than anything we've seen in Colwill since last season.

Yet, Ledley was in the first team within about six weeks of the 04/05 campaign starting and never looked back - he was in the side week i, week out for the rest of that season. In fact, although he suffered from injuries more as he got older as most players do, Ledley was barely ever injured while he was at City.

Mark Hudson talks about Colwill not trusting his body any more. Is that really too surprising when he is being forever told he has to take things easy because of these so called growth spurts he's supposed to be suffering from? Your typical nineteen/twenty year old does not have the confidence to tell medical men and women they are wrong and is far more likely to go along with what they are being told. I'm not saying that he should be told to pull himself together or anything like that, but City do seem to be cossetting him somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Hudson is Morison 2.0 without the attitude it seems. Loves a stat more than Eric. 47% of sessions, 120 point checklist before he can touch the grass, regaining trust in his own body. etc

Get on with it ffs. Sink or swim.
    Completely agree, management by numbers from Hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Don't you find it A BIT strange that he seems to be able to get into the Wales side (including a WC team) and yet struggles to get picked regularly for his (relegation threatened) club?

Because I do.
    It's strange, but I think the strange bit is more to do with his being picked for Wales than not for City. Me ? I don't think he's good enough for Championship football in a top 6 side. Naturally too slow on his feet and has the same work ethic as Josh Murphy.But I wonder if there's something else going on here. Was Colwill the reason Morison got the sack ? Was he the player who kept complaining - via others - that Morison was a 'bully' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You'd be forgiven for thinking so, Bob, but they made 26 appearances together in Mackay's first season as manager. Not necessarily as first choice centre midfield pairing as McPhail was more of a bench player that season, starting only 16 games in all competitions.
    Really, that does surprise me. I didn't think McPhail played so often under Malky Mackay - five or six matches yes, but not that many. I was convinced that McPhail barely played for us again after his Sjögren's syndrome and Raynaud's phenomenon diagnosis.

The club don't think he's good enough and i'm not sure that i do either, There probably has been something going on connected to Colwill and his body, but it seems like it's code for something else. The club don't know where to play him, he can't defend or tackle very well and unlike Lee Tomlin is not aggressive or possess the ability to put himself in good intelligent positions. In short, i reckon that Colwill isn't the brightest on a football pitch. Just my opinion, it may well be a complete load of shit

Morison and Hudson are newly qualified and with any newly qualified person like teachers, police, fast-tracked managers they are useless until they understand the job, which is why they should never have been appointed to a championship club until they understood the role and proved they are a difference maker in it. But Vinny is penny-wise, pound stupid nowadays.

Colwills touch, deftness of pass, and ability to travel with the ball marks him out as a talent to nurture, promote and sell, especially when the owner is trying to recoup as much as he can, but we still don't know if he can do it physically yet.

The money in the game has changed it since Ledleys time, I doubt Lenny or DJ would give the medical team as much sway as obviously, the last two managers have, but we need to "risk" Rubin and find out whether he is up to the rigours of championship football as the next level demand even more of him physically and surely that's why we are fattening him up for, a transfer to the premier league.

Ledley looked like a midfielder, Colwill doesn't to my medically untrained eyes, but nor did Tomlin either.

The crux of the matter is we’re constantly being told that he’s a very good player yet he’s being wrapped in cotton wool when we could do with good players at the moment let alone very good players. Christ, not three weeks or so ago he was playing against England in the World Cup.

If Colwill was fit he would be in the team

If he was 17 and fit he might be in the team

But he's of an age now that if he was match ready he would be playing

He's an enigmatic sort of player that every side needs

So forget all the yakking , he's not fit

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's strange, but I think the strange bit is more to do with his being picked for Wales than not for City. Me ? I don't think he's good enough for Championship football in a top 6 side. Naturally too slow on his feet and has the same work ethic as Josh Murphy.But I wonder if there's something else going on here. Was Colwill the reason Morison got the sack ? Was he the player who kept complaining - via others - that Morison was a 'bully' ?
    He doesnt need to be good enough for a top 6 championship team at the moment. He needs to be good enough for a bottom 6 team.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Really, that does surprise me. I didn't think McPhail played so often under Malky Mackay - five or six matches yes, but not that many. I was convinced that McPhail barely played for us again after his Sjögren's syndrome and Raynaud's phenomenon diagnosis.
    I don't think he lasted 90 minutes in any of his starts. He even started one of the playoff legs.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We’re really hoping against hope re. Colwill aren’t we. If he does fulfil our desired optimism he’ll be a world beater, never known a player for us to be so ‘willed on’ by the fans and never known so many excuses/reasons given for his failure to kick on. I really hope it does work out for him and us but, in reality, he should have a 100+ appearances under his belt by now. Unbelievable that he’s a player who’s played in the World Cup Finals Tournament yet a couple of weeks later is still being pussyfooted around the first XI of a side in 19th place in the Championship.
    I would really like to know how you think that Colwill could/should have made over 100 appearances for City by now, bearing in mind that he only made his debut in April 2021 as a nineteen year old, there have only been about 70 league games since then and for most of this season he has been out injured as well. I hardly think that nine minutes at the end of an already lost World Cup match counts as a meaningful contribution. If he was that fit and ready to play and the Wales manager thought he was that good, surely he would have started at least one of the other two games or been brought on sooner in others ? If you also look at photos of Colwill from 2019 and compare them with what he looks like now, there has been a dramatic change in his height and physique, something that a number of the contributors on this thread seem totally unable to grasp, in the quest to discredit everything the club does. Quelle surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Morison and Hudson are newly qualified and with any newly qualified person like teachers, police, fast-tracked managers they are useless until they understand the job, which is why they should never have been appointed to a championship club until they understood the role and proved they are a difference maker in it. But Vinny is penny-wise, pound stupid nowadays.

Colwills touch, deftness of pass, and ability to travel with the ball marks him out as a talent to nurture, promote and sell, especially when the owner is trying to recoup as much as he can, but we still don't know if he can do it physically yet.

The money in the game has changed it since Ledleys time, I doubt Lenny or DJ would give the medical team as much sway as obviously, the last two managers have, but we need to "risk" Rubin and find out whether he is up to the rigours of championship football as the next level demand even more of him physically and surely that's why we are fattening him up for, a transfer to the premier league.

Ledley looked like a midfielder, Colwill doesn't to my medically untrained eyes, but nor did Tomlin either.
    Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan (plus others from the boot room) were promoted from within at Liverpool with no management experience whatsoever but didn't seem to do too badly at it. Hudson had managed at Championship and Premier League level before he was appointed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The club don't think he's good enough and i'm not sure that i do either, There probably has been something going on connected to Colwill and his body, but it seems like it's code for something else. The club don't know where to play him, he can't defend or tackle very well and unlike Lee Tomlin is not aggressive or possess the ability to put himself in good intelligent positions. In short, i reckon that Colwill isn't the brightest on a football pitch. Just my opinion, it may well be a complete load of shit
    This. I don't even think that free kick was that great. The keeper had a 'mare.

Also, can we put to bed this "he plays for Wales but not City" nonsense? He played for 9 minutes.

Colwill or Rinamotha?

Has to be Colwill.

He's got something different

Shoulder drop , dummies , picking a pass

He's definitely got the class to be a very good player at this level

But he's struggling with fitness

It will be that which is the deal breaker not wether or not He's good enough

He clearly is

Has he ever put in a solid 90 minutes for City? And been influential for the whole game? Or at least most of it? Genuine question.

I am not convinced......too weak in challenges.....despite his size....and goes around the pitch half-mast instead of steaming forward.....His main 'claim to fame' are the two goals against Forest....I am old enough to remember many youngsters coming though at 18 -20....sink or swim...

Isaak Davies I have higher hopes for,..... IF he can renew his pace after injury.