+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iconic 'My Cymru, My Shirt' mural to be painted over

Re: Iconic 'My Cymru, My Shirt' mural to be painted over

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    Should you wear a daffodil or a leek, I think Sludge.
    City pin badge ?

Probably a WRU decision with its close proximity to the City Arms and the stadium.
    Football and a woman not their favourite 2 subjects !

Wales formally being known as 'Cymru' is ridiculous in my opinion and will damage 'the brand', alienate people at home and make people confused abroad.

I support it no more than I support Cardiff City becoming 'Clwb Pel Droed Dinas Caerdydd' or whatever Sam Hammam proposed.

Identity matters and you shouldn't change things like this on a whim especially when it has political undertones. The Welsh language matters of course it does but so too does English, the language which dominated (rightly or wrongly) whilst the Wales we now know was forged. There is no reason to be ashamed of that or change it.

Aside from anything else, it's just a bit to weird. Wales has a unique and interesting history as we all know and people's awareness of us is growing. This won't help that.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Probably a WRU decision with its close proximity to the City Arms and the stadium.
    Football and a woman not their favourite 2 subjects !
    Bloody rugby nazis

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I didn't know that about the Welsh league. Another load of bollocks. A reflection of bilingualism? I doubt it.

The Welsh FA are determined to shove this Cymru nonsense down our throats, aren't they? I wonder if they genuinely believe it's a popular move? I haven't spoken to anyone so far who thinks it's a good idea, although in fairness I should confess that I've largely lost interest in following the Welsh national team anyway. As soon as they started rolling out Dafydd bloody Iwan and adopting his dreadful dirge as some sort of an anthem, my time was up.
    Interesting as it's been considered that supporting the Welsh football team is one of the most Welsh things you can do.

Rugby doesn't have the same issues with the language because few people in predominantly Welsh speaking areas play the game. There's lots of support for football in Welsh speaking areas.

This certainly isn't a dig. From past comments years ago I know you've always put Cardiff above Wales. You've generally thought that Welsh language events like the Eisteddfod are a load of bollocks, so I'd never expect you to support any pro-Welsh stance from Welsh football supporters. That's your viewpoint and, while I don't share it at all, I accept that as your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Did you read the article?
    I did.

Our City needs more murals to make up for the uninspiring modern buildings being erected. Instead of painting over this one (and others) the city should be offering up additional space for this type of street art.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I did.

Our City needs more murals to make up for the uninspiring modern buildings being erected. Instead of painting over this one (and others) the city should be offering up additional space for this type of street art.
    Someone .....doesn't matter who really ....paints something that represents the cosmopolitan and inclusive society most people cherish ....

And it gets painted over

Never mind the rugby is on next week

Wales !

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Someone .....doesn't matter who really ....paints something that represents the cosmopolitan and inclusive society most people cherish ....

And it gets painted over

Never mind the rugby is on next week

Wales !
    Piss off back to Bradford then if you don’t like it

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Piss off back to Bradford then if you don’t like it
    It's cold in the winter

You think you got it bad in Quakers Yard ?

I had to come home

I’ve never quite taken to the name Wales since reading about its etymology, back in the day.

I think this yes Cymru campaign is a complete joke

I don't like the way they are jumping on the football bandwagon

Have they (Yes Cymru)? I know Neville Southall has spoken for them.

There's a Welsh Football Fans for Independence group who comes across as the skewered paranoid.

I'm saying that and I'm happy to consider Independence.

I prefer the days when we just sang "In your holiday homes..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

There's a Welsh Football Fans for Independence group who comes across as the skewered paranoid.

Yeah course they have

Yma O Hyd is fantastic to hear mind

Yeah course they have

Yma O Hyd is fantastic to hear mind
    I've not noticed 'Yes Cymru' presence at the matches. Seen the march that the independent Wales fans thing done. Couple of hundred waving smoke about. Not sure why they're at a match doing it but whatever floats their boats?

There appears to be a higher level of Welsh consciousness at matches. Whether that's due to any independent supporting political organisations influence I'm not convinced?

The Welsh Independent football fans look like of self important beauts.

The Welsh Independent football fans look like of self important beauts.
    One of them is out on the pitch singing before games these days.

I didn't know that about the Welsh league. Another load of bollocks. A reflection of bilingualism? I doubt it.

The Welsh FA are determined to shove this Cymru nonsense down our throats, aren't they? I wonder if they genuinely believe it's a popular move? I haven't spoken to anyone so far who thinks it's a good idea, although in fairness I should confess that I've largely lost interest in following the Welsh national team anyway. As soon as they started rolling out Dafydd bloody Iwan and adopting his dreadful dirge as some sort of an anthem, my time was up.
    The Cymru thing doesn’t really hurt though does it and does make it better for the nationalists.

I don’t see an issue and I’m against independence

Re: the mural wasn’t this commissioned by adidas?

Since when has culture had to be commissioned by a private company? It used to come from the people.

If you got a issue with the lack of cultural representation around the city do something about it rather than wait to jump on some advertising campaign and claim it is some kind of masterpiece

I know of people that stopped going to games because of the nationalists

I just hope it doesn’t fragment the support

One of them is out on the pitch singing before games these days.
    He's come a way from vandalising road signs. Although (surely) we've all scrawled 'CCFC' on some nondescript wall somewhere haven't we?

I don't mind Yma O Hyd as it's quite rousing and got the crowd going before the Austria game. I'm told it also has anti Thatcher sentiment so I'm OK with anything still thrown at that rancid cow ashes.

The Welsh Independence fans thing is just odd. I'm sure there's political events they could voice their opinions at and when speaking to one or two (I'm open to independence) start dribbling on about City not being in the Welsh league and come across as rabid, nationalist loons a la Julian Cayo.

As I said "beauts".

He's come a way from vandalising road signs. Although (surely) we've all scrawled 'CCFC' on some nondescript wall somewhere haven't we?

I don't mind Yma O Hyd as it's quite rousing and got the crowd going before the Austria game. I'm told it also has anti Thatcher sentiment so I'm OK with anything still thrown at that rancid cow ashes.

The Welsh Independence fans thing is just odd. I'm sure there's political events they could voice their opinions at and when speaking to one or two (I'm open to independence) start dribbling on about City not being in the Welsh league and come across as rabid, nationalist loons a la Julian Cayo.

As I said "beauts".
    I do understand that Welsh nationalists would naturally follow anything Welsh so can understand why there’s a big contingent in the support but I don’t understand why there’s cross over

Welsh football fans FOR independence, what next Welsh football fans for Brexit? For baking?

I can't see this thread as I've blocked that particular user - the only one I have blocked. Not because he's a nationalist, although I'm not, but because he never, ever posts anything unless it's from that nationalist website. It's tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I do understand that Welsh nationalists would naturally follow anything Welsh so can understand why there’s a big contingent in the support but I don’t understand why there’s cross over

Welsh football fans FOR independence, what next Welsh football fans for Brexit? For baking?
    I'm similar to you (I think)?

I got no issue with anyone's political beliefs but it seems divisive at the matches? Some of the advocates of independence are not the sharpest and come across as swivel eyed beauts who want an argument not a discussion?

Some of the 'Welshness' feels contrived to me too, probably just me that?

Some of the 'Welshness' feels contrived to me too, probably just me that?
    What sort of ‘ness’ would you prefer for fans following the Welsh national team.

Yeah they’ve really jumped on last few years….they were bound too though particularly as a few of the players speak welsh…..they can try and call us Cymru if they want but no one will ever say that, wales are playing etc….

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I can't see this thread as I've blocked that particular user - the only one I have blocked. Not because he's a nationalist, although I'm not, but because he never, ever posts anything unless it's from that nationalist website. It's tedious.