+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Life Achievement?

Re: Biggest Life Achievement?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Funnily enough my grandfather was also on the North Atlantic convoys, sunk as well.
    Plenty were. I was in East London last week, there's a memorial by The Tower of London with the names of the thousands of men and women who lost their lives crossing the Atlantic on the Convoys. Very sobering. So many of the ships sailed from Cardiff as well.

Are you allowed to include your grandparents, if so my grandad founded a life saving apparatus (chemical engineer) and was nominated the Nobel Peace Prize.

Me personally, having a family and helping / supporting family and friends, which I suppose is the norm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Fair play to your Gramps mate, that's something to be very proud of. My Grandad was Torpedoed twice crossing the Atlantic while in the Merchant Navy, he was only 18, survived both hits, was in the Water for quite a bit of time on the 2nd hit. Both ships went down with plenty of casualties. He was given the Nickname 'Jonah' on his 3rd ship
    My Grandfather served as an RAF Pathfinder pilot in WWII. Never really talked about it afterwards and never really felt like the hero that others were acclaimed to be. He even threw out his medals. Whether he was scarred by his experience we never knew, but he anything I achieve will never come close to what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    This is the issue we have over here in the UK, we do not celebrate raising children in the right way ( but quick enough to play down the job ), Sludge just about sums it up with his opinion, he is right, its not a achievement to have children ( though speak to a childless couple who desperately want them and they might disagree )

BUT

Raising decent / great / successful children is, the world needs more decent people, it takes a father to do it, Im proud as hell of my kids, ive worked hard to push them in the right direction to hopefully improve the world ( in even the smallest way ) when they do finally leave the nest I will look back and say " yea, we did ok with them, they had all the time and guidance then needed from me and my wife " ( not all can say that ) so that imho is a achievement
    My youngest boy was Hard Work, couldn't concentrate. On long journeys i'd sit him in the foot well of the car and throw Haribos at him. Kept him quiet.

This is the issue we have over here in the UK, we do not celebrate raising children in the right way ( but quick enough to play down the job ), Sludge just about sums it up with his opinion, he is right, its not a achievement to have children ( though speak to a childless couple who desperately want them and they might disagree )

BUT

Raising decent / great / successful children is, the world needs more decent people, it takes a father to do it, Im proud as hell of my kids, ive worked hard to push them in the right direction to hopefully improve the world ( in even the smallest way ) when they do finally leave the nest I will look back and say " yea, we did ok with them, they had all the time and guidance then needed from me and my wife " ( not all can say that ) so that imho is a achievement
    It simply is your responsibility once you have made the decision to have children

You shouldn't get a medal for it but some seem to think you should get one

A childless couple that adopt , purposely , disabled kids with no parents and bring them up ?

That's an achievement

Plenty were. I was in East London last week, there's a memorial by The Tower of London with the names of the thousands of men and women who lost their lives crossing the Atlantic on the Convoys. Very sobering. So many of the ships sailed from Cardiff as well.
    People from Butetown made a huge contribution to the supply lines across the Atlantic. There is a joint merchant , royal navy memorial down there I think

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Producing four great 'kids' - and two (so far) grand kids.

Making it this far
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Producing two successful children. It’s not a load of bollox.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Of course it is , self righteous nonsense

Having children is not a difficult thing to do

It's your responsibility and certainly not an ACHIEVEMENT to bring them up

Beating cancer , raising millions for disabled war veterans .....those are achievements

To be a father , grandfather etc is not an achievement

Some of the idiots that used to be on Jeremy Kyle were parents and grandparents and complete wastes of space

Not difficult to bring children into the world
    My youngest boy was Hard Work, couldn't concentrate. On long journeys i'd sit him in the foot well of the car and throw Haribos at him. Kept him quiet.
    better than the boot I guess

It simply is your responsibility once you have made the decision to have children

But it doesnt come easy to raise decent / great / successful ( I use the later 2 as they were used by bobh & Ivortheengine) children, it takes work, it doesnt just fall into place, so while you think its the parents responsibility to do it, it can still be a achievement to do so

I can't beat Maxim's heroic achievement but I did build a step to my new kitchen. Did I mention it before?

better than the boot I guess
    My other one was in the boot with a supply of Coke and crisps. Walkers as well, only the best.

But it doesnt come easy to raise decent / great / successful ( I use the later 2 as they were used by bobh & Ivortheengine) children, it takes work, it doesnt just fall into place, so while you think its the parents responsibility to do it, it can still be a achievement to do so

I will give you that but as so many people choose to become parents and MOST do an OK job I would suggest as achievements come parenting isn't the hardest thing

It is absolutely the parents responsibility to raise their children unless circumstances beyond control change that and the state has to step in

I think a woman who has to leave her husband because of violence , has to retrain as a lawyer and ends up defending young mums like her .......whilst giving up the opportunity to herself have kids .......is an incredible person and achieved a great deal

Compared to that I think having kids and bringing them up is basically what you signed up for when someone has kids by choice and is just ordinary life

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I can't beat Maxim's heroic achievement but I did build a step to my new kitchen. Did I mention it before?
    Astroturfed as well. I've seen lesser constructions in the Tate Modern.

I will give you that but as so many people choose to become parents and MOST do an OK job I would suggest as achievements come parenting isn't the hardest thing

It is absolutely the parents responsibility to raise their children unless circumstances beyond control change that and the state has to step in

I think a woman who has to leave her husband because of violence , has to retrain as a lawyer and ends up defending young mums like her .......whilst giving up the opportunity to herself have kids .......is an incredible person and achieved a great deal

Compared to that I think having kids and bringing them up is basically what you signed up for when someone has kids by choice and is just ordinary life
    You do sign up to it, it is a parents responsibility to make sure that they do the best for their kids, and at times, it's hard to get a balance. Then your kids remind you of all the ****ed up shit you did and make you feel guilty forever. Although i can't even remember what life was like before i had kids. It's a tremendous responsibility and one that gets me up in the morning, even though two of them are grown arsed adults.

You might have mentioned it before but I am afraid the judges have rejected it

Patio

Dado Rail

Plumbing in a washing machine

That's the angle we are looking for

Funnily enough my grandfather was also on the North Atlantic convoys, sunk as well.
    My Great Grandfather, a sailor, was on a vessel sunk by a U-Boat, A swede, on joining the war effort he removed the "i" from the family name to make it sound more British, unfortunately we are not related to the IKEA brigade, our roots originate circa 10 miles from Stockholm, I did meet and can remember my Great Grandmother she lived in the billy banks

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    My Great Grandfather, a sailor, was on a vessel sunk by a U-Boat, A swede, on joining the war effort he removed the "i" from the family name to make it sound more British, unfortunately we are not related to the IKEA brigade, our roots originate circa 10 miles from Stockholm, I did meet and can remember my Great Grandmother she lived in the billy banks
    Interesting

So , a bit west country , a bit Scandinavian

Billy Banks bet those replacements are worth a packet with that view

Apart from having sex 4 times try to think of something outside of the box

If you will pardon the expression
    Actually it was 5 times, but lost one to a miscarriage
    Beat prostate cancer.
    Survived a stroke.
    Won a shedload of darts trophies (though I can't hit a barn door after the stroke)

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Actually it was 5 times, but lost one to a miscarriage
    Beat prostate cancer.
    Survived a stroke.
    Won a shedload of darts trophies (though I can't hit a barn door after the stroke)
    Beating prostrate cancer

Surviving a stroke

That's the area ......

Removed the ‘i’ to make it more British? He made it more historically naval!

Removed the ‘i’ to make it more British? He made it more historically naval!
    In junior school and having been assessed as having a lazy eye, in them days the treatment was a patch over the good eye to make the lazy eye work , fitted well to the name 🤣

My Grandad was Torpedoed twice crossing the Atlantic while in the Merchant Navy, he was only 18, survived both hits, was in the Water for quite a bit of time on the 2nd hit. Both ships went down with plenty of casualties. He was given the Nickname 'Jonah' on his 3rd ship
    My nans brother also survived the first two sinkings in the Atlantic, sadly it wasn’t 3rd time lucky, as he lost his life just before the end of the war, torpedoed off Anglesey.

In junior school and having been assessed as having a lazy eye, in them days the treatment was a patch over the good eye to make the lazy eye work , fitted well to the name ��

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My nans brother also survived the first two sinkings in the Atlantic, sadly it wasn’t 3rd time lucky, as he lost his life just before the end of the war, torpedoed off Anglesey.
    Kin hell

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Loads went down in the irish seas and further North.

Not sure Kea sounds very British!

When I was at school, I came second two years running in
    a Shell/BP painting comp (Wales and West section) My prize was £2/10s (£2.50 for the youngsters on here)
    Bear in mind you could buy a pint for less than a shilling!
    In between I failed O Level art!
    (got a good pass in the resit)

Around the same time, I won the sports day mile race (4 laps) by over half a lap.
    If only I had kept that up!