+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Northern Cyprus As A Holiday Destination

Northern Cyprus As A Holiday Destination

Nice villas at reasonable prices, what are the pros and cons, anyone been and offer any suitable advice?

Thanks

Re: Northern Cyprus As A Holiday Destination

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Nice villas at reasonable prices, what are the pros and cons, anyone been and offer any suitable advice?

Thanks
    A few years since i have been (about 8) so perhaps it's a bit busier now, Famagusta was nice but quiet, I only did a day trip from Paphos, the Turks stole the best part of the island but had done nothing with it, if you like a quieter holiday you may prefer it, when I went, there was still a lot of reminders of the invasion, buildings uninhabited with the bullet and shell damage still evident.

During our day trip, the lady rep told us that on the day of the invasion she had to run for her life just after burying her jewellery and other family possessions in her garden, but on going back when things were a bit relaxed she went to her house, which was now in the possession of a Turkish family, the Turkish lady invited her in and returned her jewellery and possessions which she had buried.

Have recently done 6 months out there in Nicosia, patrolling the Buffer Zone and going back out for another 3 months in September.

The Turkish side is generally a lot cheaper, quieter and less developed, with some very poor but friendly areas.

It all depends what sort of break you're after. Farmagusta is pretty interesting and Kyrenia is an attractive town on the north coast.

Whatever area in cyprus you decide to stay, I'd recommend visiting the troodos region at some point. Really impressive pine forest mountains, with some really pretty villages dotted about.

Also Efes beer in the north is far superior to Kio in the south

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_blue View Post
    Have recently done 6 months out there in Nicosia, patrolling the Buffer Zone and going back out for another 3 months in September.

The Turkish side is generally a lot cheaper, quieter and less developed, with some very poor but friendly areas.

It all depends what sort of break you're after. Farmagusta is pretty interesting and Kyrenia is an attractive town on the north coast.

Whatever area in cyprus you decide to stay, I'd recommend visiting the troodos region at some point. Really impressive pine forest mountains, with some really pretty villages dotted about.
    I worked in the Golf Balls (Radar Installation) at Troodos circa 1984 as a civvy!!!, stayed in Platres for 2 months, Brandy sour for Breakfast , we used to go down to Nissi beach on the weekends, there was only one large hotel there (Nissi Beach Hotel) and you had to use a dirt road to get to it wasn't so easy to get over the border at this time, cannot remember the name of the village we had to drive through but it was kind of off limits to the RAF at the time due to the eoka brigade, was before marriage but still comes under " what goes on tour stays on tour

Cheers guys, it's just a thought at the moment. We did Paphos a few years ago and being ex RAF myself wanted to check out Troodos which was very nice and the sought after posting that was Akrotiri. Having got to Akrotiri I wondered what other than the nice weather did the dusty camp have to offer. Although the lads I knew that were there loved it. The nearest I got to nice weather was a partly cloudy day at Macrihanish !!

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Stayed in the Turkish Republic of Northen Cyprus (Kyrenia) back in the middle of June. Since I was last there I've noticed the increase in prices. No where near as cheap as it used to be. The price of beer is about €2/2.50 and a 3 course meal your looking at €15/20. And if you want a pair of dodgy sunglasses you can get Bay rans for €5 for 3!
    Lovely place, plenty of Cypriot history to see. Nothing to do for kids over there though! Plenty of cheap hotels but they might be cheap for a reason. It's worth spending extra on a hotel!!

Cheers guys, it's just a thought at the moment. We did Paphos a few years ago and being ex RAF myself wanted to check out Troodos which was very nice and the sought after posting that was Akrotiri. Having got to Akrotiri I wondered what other than the nice weather did the dusty camp have to offer. Although the lads I knew that were there loved it. The nearest I got to nice weather was a partly cloudy day at Macrihanish !!

Thanks again.
    Why not push the boat out and have a week in Aleppo. Very nice this time of year but can get a bit rowdy.

i would avoid it. it is now an isis stronghold.

The number of people that go to Ayia Napa and have zero idea how close they are to Lebanon etc. A stones throw away.

I'd go there but I'd have worries.

Quote Originally Posted by شهرستان کاردیف View Post
    The number of people that go to Ayia Napa and have zero idea how close they are to Lebanon etc. A stones throw away.

I'd go there but I'd have worries.
    You would have to be a hell of a stone thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    i would avoid it. it is now an isis stronghold.