Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Tomorrow I will celebrate a year of living in Tynewydd (more or less at the top of the Rhondda Valley). I'm not a great fan of my new doctor's surgery and I think the road links to Cardiff are poor, but, apart from that, I have no regrets at all about upping sticks from Cardiff and the two bedroomed terraced house I bought (which I would say needed about 15 grands worth of work on it when I moved in) cost me 50 thousand pounds.

I'd say to anyone thinking of moving don't be put off by how far away from Cardiff some Valleys towns and villages are - I'm very happy with my move and, although I accept it's a bit of a cliche, my experience is that Valleys people are a bit more friendly than in Cardiff.

That said, I think the way you describe your partner does make me think that she might find it a bit of a culture shock up here - I'm 63, by myself (apart from my dog and cat!) and, although it wasn't always the case, don't need the cosmopolitan and lively social scene you talk of.

One thing I must take issue with you over though is your description of the Valleys as "grey". I've just taken my dog for her early morning walk and it's quite quite a grey and gloomy morning up here, but, even in weather like that, the views and natural surroundings are spectacular - I get the feeling that, as a newcomer not used to living in an area like this, I appreciate this more than the locals who have been here all of their lives.
Can you imagine going out for food at 11pm in the valleys like the Spanish like to do? I guess the petrol station at Tesco might be 24 hrs.... also, there are 1000’s os Spanish etc in Cardiff so she would like it. Happy wife happy life......