Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Tomorrow I will celebrate a year of living in Tynewydd (more or less at the top of the Rhondda Valley). I'm not a great fan of my new doctor's surgery and I think the road links to Cardiff are poor, but, apart from that, I have no regrets at all about upping sticks from Cardiff and the two bedroomed terraced house I bought (which I would say needed about 15 grands worth of work on it when I moved in) cost me 50 thousand pounds.

I'd say to anyone thinking of moving don't be put off by how far away from Cardiff some Valleys towns and villages are - I'm very happy with my move and, although I accept it's a bit of a cliche, my experience is that Valleys people are a bit more friendly than in Cardiff.

That said, I think the way you describe your partner does make me think that she might find it a bit of a culture shock up here - I'm 63, by myself (apart from my dog and cat!) and, although it wasn't always the case, don't need the cosmopolitan and lively social scene you talk of.

One thing I must take issue with you over though is your description of the Valleys as "grey". I've just taken my dog for her early morning walk and it's quite quite a grey and gloomy morning up here, but, even in weather like that, the views and natural surroundings are spectacular - I get the feeling that, as a newcomer not used to living in an area like this, I appreciate this more than the locals who have been here all of their lives.
Did your cat make his way back home after Paul? I’m from the valleys and when I lived in Cardiff for 2 years I hated it eventually convinced the mrs to move back and although she found it difficult for a bit she now loves it the train station is just around the corner and the bus stop is just outside the house 30 mins to Cardiff, I look at the view outside my house and love it beautiful mountains everywhere as Paul has said the biggest problem is there only 2 ways in and out and when you get to Clydach it’s only one