+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SNP on BBCQT

SNP on BBCQT

Re: SNP on BBCQT

As opposed to Julia Hartley-Brewer who has an opinion about absolutely everything she doesn’t know enough about

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    As opposed to Julia Hartley-Brewer who has an opinion about absolutely everything she doesn’t know enough about
    Oh come on, like most commentators on twitter she is there to br controversial but she is right to highlight the absurdity here. You would be all over it if she was a Tory!

The link is from her Twitter bio, but that’s not why I posted the extract

What’s your view on the actual SNP response to the question?

This is a strange issue for me. I try and stay out of it because I don't really understand it, if pressed for an opinion I'd say biological sex is immutable and anything else needs to fit around that. Having said that, it is so far down my totem poll of importance that I am surprised at how much it is talked about. I suppose given the collapse of almost everything else they believe in, it is a safe space for the right of politics.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Oh come on, like most commentators on twitter she is there to br controversial but she is right to highlight the absurdity here. You would be all over it if she was a Tory!
    You’re right, people like her are just controversial for controversials sake. I’m not sure there needs to be a place for that but that’s where we are.

Admittedly I haven’t heard too much from her thankfully, given she tends to be appear mostly in right wing journalism, but of the few times I’ve seen her she sneered and said that climate change was complete nonsense. She gave off the air that anyone who didn’t agree with that, or couldn’t see her point just wasn’t on her level.

With regards the subject matter, like others I find the whole subject a very difficult one because it’s not something I’ve lived, or anyone close to me has lived. It’s pretty clear that a rapist who still has a penis shouldn’t be in a female prison but it seems the far right want to blow up this isolated case into a hysterical political hot potato where immigration once sat

You’re right, people like her are just controversial for controversials sake. I’m not sure there needs to be a place for that but that’s where we are.

Admittedly I haven’t heard too much from her thankfully, given she tends to be appear mostly in right wing journalism, but of the few times I’ve seen her she sneered and said that climate change was complete nonsense. She gave off the air that anyone who didn’t agree with that, or couldn’t see her point just wasn’t on her level.

With regards the subject matter, like others I find the whole subject a very difficult one because it’s not something I’ve lived, or anyone close to me has lived. It’s pretty clear that a rapist who still has a penis shouldn’t be in a female prison but it seems the far right want to blow up this isolated case into a hysterical political hot potato where immigration once sat
    That's a very good point. I guess it's a symptom of entrenched politics that with any given situation the outliers are thrust into the limelight as if they are typical and then opinions are formed around that.

It does feel as though the Tories will be clinging to this issue come next election and for me it isnt a good fit for Rishi but the tradition Tory platform has collapse around them so this is all they are left with. I expect the rhetoric to get ramped up and the pressure will be on labour to make sure they don't trip themselves up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    This is a strange issue for me. I try and stay out of it because I don't really understand it, if pressed for an opinion I'd say biological sex is immutable and anything else needs to fit around that. Having said that, it is so far down my totem poll of importance that I am surprised at how much it is talked about. I suppose given the collapse of almost everything else they believe in, it is a safe space for the right of politics.
    Exactly how I feel - your last sentence is very true.

Perhaps climate change is overstated though according to her , and she is entitled to her opinions, personally she flip flops from one agenda to the other and bear in mind OFCOM only allow her what they want her to broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Perhaps climate change is overstated though according to her , and she is entitled to her opinions, personally she flip flops from one agenda to the other and bear in mind OFCOM only allow her what they want her to broadcast.
    Wait till OFCOM find out that she has 17.5 hours of TalkTV airtime each week badged as the "only safe place for fierce opinions".

Those cancel culture inquisitors will probably go ballistic.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Wait till OFCOM find out that she has 17.5 hours of TalkTV airtime each week badged as the "only safe place for fierce opinions".

Those cancel culture inquisitors will probably go ballistic.
    The thread is about BBCQT not talk radio , thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    The thread is about BBCQT not talk radio , thanks though
    Not about your authoritative statement that "OFCOM only allow her what they want her to broadcast" then when she has a 3.5 hour daily TV programme which falls within OFCOM's ambit where apparently all sorts of fierce opinions are actively encouraged. The rules are the same for both channels so where is your evidence that she is somehow being muzzled by OFCOM?

That pretty well sums up how I feel about it too Eric. It seems to be a subject so low down in my priorities I barely give it a thought.

However, that Hartley-Brewer harpy is just a bag of hot air full of it's own self importance so anything she is against will no doubt gain my approval.

If you're allowing men into women's spaces (as long as they say they're trans) then it technically affects half the population. I'm not sure it'll have much of an effect on any election outcome but some of the non-Conservatives are tying themselves in knots over this.

The old saying "oh what a tangled web we weave..." comes to mind here. We are being coerced into believing that a person's biological sex at birth is somehow changeable. The trans lady on the QT panel (forgotten her name) admitted herself that we are talking about a tiny, tiny minority of people who want to declare themselves as "trans" and yet here we are talking about separate prisons for trans people! One lady in the audience was subjected to verbal abuse for daring to suggest that a person's sex at birth is what it is and whilst she respected that the trans lady was free to make her own choices in life, this choice was having an inordinate impact on society as a whole.

What was not mentioned on the programme was the fact that the SNP want the age of consent reduced from 18 to 16, which is one of the main reasons UK government are against the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    What was not mentioned on the programme was the fact that the SNP want the age of consent reduced from 18 to 16, which is one of the main reasons UK government are against the bill.
    The age of consent in all parts of the UK is 16, isn't it?

Not sure what the SNP are proposing, but it can't be that.

I feel pretty much the same.

I have got some friends and relatives who are very active around Trans Rights, and others who are much more concerned about birth biology and safe spaces (for trans people as well as biological women). For most it doesn't come onto their radars at all.

I never really picked up on trans issues until later in life - when it moved on from a few salacious and insulting stories in Sunday tabloids - and it seems to be a difficult subject to navigate. There are competing 'rights' in play and a lot of antagonistic views in open conflict. The local Green Party is tearing itself apart over alleged transphobia by its' rising star. Labour and the SNP also deeply divided. But as a society we will need to work through these things and reach a solution - even if that leaves some people still angry and unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There are competing 'rights' in play and a lot of antagonistic views in open conflict.
    I'm not sure there are. The trans right of being able to declare a notion about oneself on the basis of one's own subjective analysis and then have it enshrined in law doesn't really exist anywhere else (that I can think of).

Like some of you, this wasn't on my radar until a couple of years ago and I thought if a man figured he was a woman then so be it, but that's - in part - my male privilege showing. It won't be troubling us any time soon. Meanwhile, women have received disgraceful abuse for pointing out the flaws in this whole concept and the knock-on effect if it'll have.

Trump proving the libertarian right’s definition of freedom is the telling of people that they’re free to do whatever we tell them they can.

https://www.advocate.com/politics/do...sgender-rights

The denial of science and reality..enforced language change.
    It's a Post Modernists dream come true.

It may not matter to some, but it is a massive
    concern to many women who are accused of bigotry for raising their concerns.

It's a subject that shouldn't be dismissed flippantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    The denial of science and reality..enforced language change.
    It's a Post Modernists dream come true.

It may not matter to some, but it is a massive
    concern to many women who are accused of bigotry for raising their concerns.

It's a subject that shouldn't be dismissed flippantly.
    They shouldn't be accused of bigotry unless they are being bigoted.

Unfortunately somebody has to be the arbiter of whether those concerns are reasonable. It was only a few months ago that some women were seriously suggesting men should cross the road if they were walking near them because it would make them feel safer, which is clearly unreasonable.

I've seen quite a lot of unisex toilets recently, there is one at Gatwick Airport, it's just full of cubicles and a shared sink area, what's the difference between men and women sharing that facility and a the trans toilet issue.

Sport is a clear one for me, if there is any contact involved, there shouldnt be trans in women's sport. I would probably ban it in all sports from a competitive pov.

They shouldn't be accused of bigotry unless they are being bigoted.

Unfortunately somebody has to be the arbiter of whether those concerns are reasonable. It was only a few months ago that some women were seriously suggesting men should cross the road if they were walking near them because it would make them feel safer, which is clearly unreasonable.

I've seen quite a lot of unisex toilets recently, there is one at Gatwick Airport, it's just full of cubicles and a shared sink area, what's the difference between men and women sharing that facility and a the trans toilet issue.

Sport is a clear one for me, if there is any contact involved, there shouldnt be trans in women's sport. I would probably ban it in all sports from a competitive pov.
    Here’s her boss on the subject

https://twitter.com/juliahb1/status/...ytGg-lNjkomfFg

Easy answer to this topical pathetic political correctness : a woman is born with a woman with a vagina. ( sorry Sir Kier and lady up north )

A bloke is born with a penis that goes inside said vagina..

Results in population growth.

If when they are adults and they want to feck about with thier lowers bits fine .. happy to respect that decision.

We shouldn't impose our feelings onto those making that tough choice, however they should not impose themselves into female safe places , they should respect females concerns. . And find thier arena.

But don't put woman in danger or young children for some crazy one eyed ideology .

To think woman are getting abused on this matter within the political arena is scary ..

40% of 'trans' prisoners are in prison because of a sex offence , i would like to think that most men on here would not go into women's changing rooms because they don't want to upset women and girls, delilah gets banned so abuse victims aren't upset , yet a rape victim is told she has to accept a hairy assed trucker in her space.

The economy is in tatters
    Inequality is increasing drastically
    The NHS is on its knees
    Climate change every year is becoming more and more of a significant risk
    Poverty increasing
    Highest energy bills in the world

Conservatives priorities 'but but there's transgender people'

It's amazing how conservatives parrot lines from billionaire owned media so you don't focus on the points I've listed above. Some may even think you're thick for it.