+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can we get ourselves out of this desperate mess ?

Re: How can we get ourselves out of this desperate mess ?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    This ongoing form implosion can be traced to an exact date in early November last year. It was shortly after a fine win at Sunderland and prior to Hull's visit.

The chairman appeared in the Wales capital for the first time in almost three years. He gave an optimistic interview in which he implied funds would be made available for new recruits in January. He also thought a play-off finish was possible.
    Minor point, but Dalman is the chairman, Tan is the owner.

After that victory at Sunderland on 05/11/22, City were 14th in the table. The teams below them included Middlesbrough (now 3rd) and West Brom (now 6th). Then Tan showed up at the CCS, applied his reverse Midas touch and everything turned to shit.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Score goals. In our last 9 league games we've not conceded more than 1 in any of them. There aren't many times that's happened in our history.
    You are right about our defence, considering we haven't got a left back, the rest are playing really well, O'Dowda has to stay there Simpson is terrible.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It was said a few days back that Graham Stack was responsible for set piece training as well as goalkeeping.

Our corners, free kicks, penalties and crosses (not dead balls, but often similar problems of movement and missing first man) have been poor most of the season.

Improve those basics, and with some height now up front, we should see things they call goals in foreign parts.
    I've been saying that all season, and we don't even retain a throw in, it's basically throwing it to the player already marked as no one shows for the ball, losing it and all getting back in position to try and win it back again.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It was said a few days back that Graham Stack was responsible for set piece training as well as goalkeeping.

Our corners, free kicks, penalties and crosses (not dead balls, but often similar problems of movement and missing first man) have been poor most of the season.

Improve those basics, and with some height now up front, we should see things they call goals in foreign parts.
    Surely no Manager would let a goalkeeper coach set piece training?

Mind you I suppose the last two haven't been Managers, so maybe?

Does the club need to throw the kitchen sink at this? The long term implications of relegation are worse than chucking as much money as they can at decent free agents.
    Here’s some (probably expensive) ones, but surely they can have a look down the back of the sofa for some loose change as and get in one or two? A nice fat bonus for staying up ought to do the trick.
    Go get ‘em, Sabri!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64493477

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Does the club need to throw the kitchen sink at this? The long term implications of relegation are worse than chucking as much money as they can at decent free agents.
    Here’s some (probably expensive) ones, but surely they can have a look down the back of the sofa for some loose change as and get in one or two? A nice fat bonus for staying up ought to do the trick.
    Go get ‘em, Sabri!

Probably cost the club £20 -£30 million in terms of 'value'. Plus we're much worse placed to come back to the Championship than at least half of those clubs in league 1. for me it's a no-brainer on all levels.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Go get ‘em, Sabri!

We are in a better position now with a manager in place rather than what we have had since warnock left , a succession of misfits and failures

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    You know what, I can’t actually remember. (My memory is horrific). Can’t remember if it was Morison or someone on here.
    Thanks for the reply. I wasn't blanking you, just didn't want to derail the thread but it seems to have run its course now.

I was wondering if someone would jump in to help you and Ninja out here but there seems to be a collective amnesia about who actually said it was the greatest transfer window in the club's history. I remember JR Hartley starting it all off pre-season but he didn't give a source or a link, even when a couple of posters picked him up on it. It seemed like a pretty obvious wind-up to be honest but it snowballed from there.

It's been said so often now that I can understand why people believe it, or even think they've seen it themselves, but I've never seen any evidence of it myself, that's why I asked. If a poster on here said it then surely it would get bumped on a regular basis, if someone from the club said it then they'd have been named and shamed on here and the quote would be easy to find. It seems to get quoted as an insult but if no one knows who said it then who's the insult aimed at? It's an odd one.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I wasn't blanking you, just didn't want to derail the thread but it seems to have run its course now.

I was wondering if someone would jump in to help you and Ninja out here but there seems to be a collective amnesia about who actually said it was the greatest transfer window in the club's history. I remember JR Hartley starting it all off pre-season but he didn't give a source or a link, even when a couple of posters picked him up on it. It seemed like a pretty obvious wind-up to be honest but it snowballed from there.

It's been said so often now that I can understand why people believe it, or even think they've seen it themselves, but I've never seen any evidence of it myself, that's why I asked. If a poster on here said it then surely it would get bumped on a regular basis, if someone from the club said it then they'd have been named and shamed on here and the quote would be easy to find. It seems to get quoted as an insult but if no one knows who said it then who's the insult aimed at? It's an odd one.
    I'm pretty sure it was written by some of our fans on Twitter. It might have been mentioned on the other forum as well.

I can't find any of the tweets, but this makes for entertaining reading.

https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/v...p?f=2&t=229484

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

Must be some mistake with the dates in that thread, cos I thought they were talking about 2012 not 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

It was pretty widespread on Twitter as I recall

Morison also said something silly along the lines of "time to get excited" regarding our summer transfers

I'm pretty sure it was written by some of our fans on Twitter. It might have been mentioned on the other forum as well.
    Someone on twitter who thinks they know what they're on about said this on Jan 18th:

"He’s a very good rotation option at this level. Sawyers, Ojo, Simpson the only poor ones for me. If you only spend on 2 players unfortunately not all are going to be good. It’s the best window we’ve had in years tho no doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Morison also said something silly along the lines of "time to get excited" regarding our summer transfers
    Morison & excited in the same sentence shock!!!!!

"Be excited as we are"

He also spent ages talking about how they didn't sign people for the sake of it, and the time they'd taken to identify their targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    "Be excited as we are"

He also spent ages talking about how they didn't sign people for the sake of it, and the time they'd taken to identify their targets.
    They all wanted to be a part of it according to Morison. He just didn’t say what ‘it’ was.

Thanks for that, trawling through the other forum is going beyond the call of duty so I appreciate it. A couple of interesting ones in there considering we were 17th at the time.

JR Hartley's post was pre-season so if he'd seen a tweet it would've been around the end of July but, like I said, he gave no indication of where he'd come across it.

Thanks, you're a good poster on here so I'll take your word for it. I'm not necessarily saying that JR Hartley made it up either but he once categorically told me that all hockey players were gay so I tend to take him a bit like David Mitchell takes Bob Mortimer on Would I Lie to You.

1) By putting square pegs in square holes

2) By crossing the ball into the box, when you get the chance, instead of cutting back and trying to beat the defender again

3) By taking a shot at goal when you get the opportunity and not try to be Arsenal or Man City and walk the ball into the net.

4) By whacking the ball out of your own box, instead of pussyfooting about with it

5) In finishing, if you get a free kick on the half way line, put the f uck ing pigs bladder into their box, NOT 10 passes back to your own keeper.

See, football is easy in it, you’ve just won 3-1

International

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I've racked by old brain over this, but frankly I just cannot see how we get out of this mess. We just do not have the players, we are lightweight in too many positions.
    The January window was crying out for 3 or 4 experienced pros, but because of the embargo fiasco we get 1 from abroad and even his record leaves a lot to be desired.
    Horrible feeling the thought of relegation to Div 1 after over 20 years.
    Left-back has been the problem as season, bar the first game or two Collins played, O'Dowda is the best stick with him, or NG if Romeo ever comes back.

Never play Simpson or Bagin again this season, they cost us many points.

Sabri should review whats going wrong and arrange for cover on our left hand side.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    We have players out there who don't fancy it, i'm not bothered if they're not good enough, that's most of us anyway. Just show some fight and honesty, i'm sure that we can all get behind that and forgive failure. Some of them aren't even putting themselves in that position.
    Too true, we are in fight or flight times, and most of them are choosing flight and trying not to get anywhere near the ball.

International

In fairness, we looked good the first couple of games until Collins got injured, since then it's been steady decline.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    In fairness, we looked good the first couple of games until Collins got injured, since then it's been steady decline.
    The Collins myth again. Fact is City had played four games before Collins got injured - a battling but somewhat fortunate 1-0 victory over an out of sorts Norwich, a 2-1 defeat at a patched-up Reading (during which Collins looked nothing special), a 3-0 home defeat to League One Portsmouth in the cup which exposed a lack of strength in depth and a decent performance in a 1-0 victory over a poor Birmingham side.

Collins played three games. He looked promising in the two home games but bang average at Reading. His loss was a blow, but he was injured far too early in the season to draw any firm conclusions.

It’s time to be POSITIVE now
    Lamouchi has had a fortnight getting to know the players and how he wants them to play
    To be fair we looked pretty solid at the back against Luton until that lapse in the what 88th minute?
    I didn’t see or listen to the Hull game but it’s fine margins
    Last nights result has to be taken as a huge positive with a ten man Blackpool thanks to Mad Mick getting an unexpected draw
    We go into Saturdays game with a battling attitude and get stuck into them
    It’s our first home game with Sabri who I’m sure can make a difference
    Hopefully he’s massaging the players egos behind the scenes and we get a result 🤩👍

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The Collins myth again. Fact is City had played four games before Collins got injured - a battling but somewhat fortunate 1-0 victory over an out of sorts Norwich, a 2-1 defeat at a patched-up Reading (during which Collins looked nothing special), a 3-0 home defeat to League One Portsmouth in the cup which exposed a lack of strength in depth and a decent performance in a 1-0 victory over a poor Birmingham side.

Collins played three games. He looked promising in the two home games but bang average at Reading. His loss was a blow, but he was injured far too early in the season to draw any firm conclusions.
    Can't argue with that, but we did look quite good on the eye over those first three or four games, and as you say promising, and didn't he get some man-of-the-match performances? I still think he would have been better than that Everton bloke, Bagan, Simpson, NG, and that we would be better with O'Dowda further forward but that's life, and as you rightly say it has exposed our strength in depth, especially at left back and Strikers, how that wasn't addressed God only knows?