+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tour de France

Re: Tour de France

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    tbf, Cav in that era could have coasted in. During that time he must have been hot favourite to win about 5 stages then either got kicked out or fell for about 5 others. Cav is a top man but I think that his equal record with Merxck should just respect their different talents.
    It's mad to think how many stages Cav could've won. I get what you're saying but Merckx holds plenty of records, I'm sure he can spare one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_M...cords_Overview

Next year's Tour should be worth a watch with Vingegaard, Roglic, Pogacar and Evenepoel battling for yellow and Cav going for the record. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

Next year's Tour should be worth a watch with Vingegaard, Roglic, Pogacar and Evenepoel battling for yellow and Cav going for the record. Can't wait.
    This isn't going to plan so far. Cav can't seem to shake an illness off while Evenepoel and Vingegaard both broke their collarbones today in a crash on a descent that also brought Roglic down, but he seems ok.

Van Aert also has a broken collarbone (and a broken sternum and broken ribs) but the sprinters all seem fine for now which doesn't bode well for Cav. He only has to get lucky once in the Tour though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    This isn't going to plan so far. Cav can't seem to shake an illness off while Evenepoel and Vingegaard both broke their collarbones today in a crash on a descent that also brought Roglic down, but he seems ok.

Van Aert also has a broken collarbone (and a broken sternum and broken ribs) but the sprinters all seem fine for now which doesn't bode well for Cav. He only has to get lucky once in the Tour though.
    Tough job being a cyclist.

Impressive performance from Pogacar at the Giro - almost 10 minutes ahead going into the final processional stage, having won 6 stages. Good to see Geraint Thomas heading for a podium finish too.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Impressive performance from Pogacar at the Giro - almost 10 minutes ahead going into the final processional stage, having won 6 stages. Good to see Geraint Thomas heading for a podium finish too.
    Think Pog won't have it so easy in the tdf.
    Credit to G though for being the oldest ever podium finisher in a grand tour - beating his own record he set last year.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Think Pog won't have it so easy in the tdf.
    Credit to G though for being the oldest ever podium finisher in a grand tour - beating his own record he set last year.
    G

1.He's not your butty
    2. You're not a toff
    3. You can pronounce Geraint. It's only two syllables.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    G

1.He's not your butty
    2. You're not a toff
    Pog instead of Pogaçar is OK though?

For moi, Le Tour has been generally boring the last few years because the race tactics have been largely of containment. The old Sky juggernaut approach to winning hasn't created or left a legacy of exciting stages.

I also think that of terrains for the stages is weighted too far in favour of the pure climbers. So there are the 'flat' stages which usually end in breakaways (if there are any) being caught just shy of the line and/or a bunch sprint; a token short time trial, which again seems to include a climb and those almost interminal mountain stages which effectively limit the identity of the overall winner to one of only six riders.

As a result, there has been nothing like the excitement and anticipation of say ten years ago.

The one-off classic races are often a better spectacle than Le Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    For moi, Le Tour has been generally boring the last few years because the race tactics have been largely of containment. The old Sky juggernaut approach to winning hasn't created or left a legacy of exciting stages.

I also think that of terrains for the stages is weighted too far in favour of the pure climbers. So there are the 'flat' stages which usually end in breakaways (if there are any) being caught just shy of the line and/or a bunch sprint; a token short time trial, which again seems to include a climb and those almost interminal mountain stages which effectively limit the identity of the overall winner to one of only six riders.

As a result, there has been nothing like the excitement and anticipation of say ten years ago.

The one-off classic races are often a better spectacle than Le Tour
    Well I'm going to see two stages of it in France in July, Cyclops. And I'm sure you can guess whose gigs I am attending in Southampton and London next Monday and Tuesday.....

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    G

1.He's not your butty
    2. You're not a toff
    Second time you've done this in this thread, third overall as far as I'm aware. Bizarre.

We don't have to pronounce anything on here (unless there's an audio version of this board I'm not aware of). A quick look at his books shows me

The World of Cycling According to G
    Mountains According to G
    Great Rides According to G

Is he a toff or can't he pronounce his own name?