Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
Did you really wish that Boris Johnson died. And as for your last sentence above............

l agree your not a wrong'un

That is too mild

How about scum of the earth????
I can remember you being annoyed with me when I celebrated Margaret Thatcher's death, but I still feel the same about her now. Thatcher was someone who pursued policies which decimated many people's lives as a matter of course. Granted, the issues facing the manufacturing industries which were savagely hit during her period of power were going to have to be addressed at some time, but did they have to be accompanied by rhetoric aimed at those suffering because of it with talk of "getting on your bike" to find a job and there being no such thing as society any more?

Vulnerable and isolated people were left very much to fend for themselves in the "i, me, mine eighties" - it didn't have to be like that, but Thatcher was the driving force behind a Government that ensured it was. Whatever, I may say about her though, she was an unusual and brave politician who chose to follow a path which she knew would be very divisive and, when the criticism was at it's highest, stuck to her guns - there aren't many like that and, for me, the current Prime Minister most certainly isn't one of them.

Boris Johnson, and many in his Cabinet I suspect, are products of the Thatcherite eighties, but without the deep convictions which fuelled them. What our current Prime Minister has is the desire to primarily look after number one synonymous with that decade. His political career has been dominated by the "what's best for Boris?" approach, but, politically, he's a lightweight and certainly no Thatcher in terms of bravery and conviction - someone who so wants to be liked shouldn't really become Prime Minister.

That's some of the reason why I cannot feel the same about Boris Johnson's position now as I did about Margaret Thatcher, but the main one is that it was her time to die and it certainly isn't his yet. Thatcher was eighty seven and had suffered a series of strokes in her declining years - by the end it seems she was existing rather than living. Whatever you may think of Boris Johnson, the ,lifeforce has always burned within him stronger than it did in many others and it was still doing so until recently - I hope he makes a full recovery and wish him, and all of those laid low by this virus, all the best.