+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Roxene records Bridgend

Roxene records Bridgend

Anyone remember that place ?

One of the staff was a metal fan but a nasty piece of work , accused me of stealing tapes and had a rumble with him in a deserted shop , he stank of BO and in the end just smacked him one and told the ****to call the police if he wanted to

What was that older record store opposite the glamorgan gazette offices ? .......a publication I was often featured in .......oh look who has been in court section

Best record store in Bridgend ever was the jungle , crammed full of heavy metal .....always very popular in Bridgend ......run by a great bloke unlike those smarmy ****s in spillers who by the way had a crap metal section ......as a youngster a trip for metal was always to buffalo records run by a black guy whose son was at school with us .......thing that pissed me off about spillers was there was always that krankies looking bloke who guarded the till and refused to serve you and also the fact too many student indie types went in there , worse than nick clegg and the liberals that lot

We were listening to Saxon , lizzy , Sabbath , UFO and they were listening to rubbish about flowers and other such nonsense

Re: Roxene records Bridgend

I think it's a Chinese take away or a dentist now , bottom of nolton street before the old co op which is now Wilkinson's

i used to regularly pop into Roxene Records circa 1980 while in Bridgend Tech for the NWOBHM section they had but can't remember any other record shop though.It was a really good shopping centre and last saturday i went there for the first time in years and could'nt believe how much it has declined, a ghost town with poor quality shops and like a lot of South Wales towns has never recovered from the closure of heavy industry.

Wasn't it 33 and a third?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey6417 wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 07:31
    Wasn't it 33 and a third?
    But Amazon killed him in his tracks

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds over....... wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 07:19
    i used to regularly pop into Roxene Records circa 1980 while in Bridgend Tech for the NWOBHM section they had but can't remember any other record shop though.It was a really good shopping centre and last saturday i went there for the first time in years and could'nt believe how much it has declined, a ghost town with poor quality shops and like a lot of South Wales towns has never recovered from the closure of heavy industry.
    You can blame the death of Bridgend on one thing , that horrible designer outlet village by earn

Roxene records is now where Subways is at the bottom of Caroline Street.
    The Jungle is now, very aptly, the Reptile Centre.
    Opposite the Glamorgan Gazette offices was Eagle records run by Steve Tiley; a good guy.
    Further up the road in Nolton Street, now a hairdressers, was 33 1/3.
    There was also Fletchers records in Lees Arcade, and one I forgot the name of in Derwen Road next to the old police station.
    Boots was the best for records as you could shoplift there on a Saturday afternoon without any fear of getting caught.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 08:34
    Yeah, I remember the shop you're on about, had a large BASF clock above the door on the outside of the building. Everyone I speak to cant remember it.

Another one for you Sludge is the one at the bottom of Park Street near to where the Printers shop is/was. Definately was there as I remember taking my Iron Maiden Vinyl collection to him to sell....all my Shaped picture discs, coloured vinyl, ltd edition stuff...Walked away with enough money for a good night on the pop

Cant say I remember any of those from my years growing up in Bridgend. I do remember the Ranch, The Windsor and the little chippy next to the first Tesco's - actually I cant remember the name. Its probably why my hearing's faired much better than my waist line over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by JP1970 wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 08:56
    Another one I forgot was Yestertrax in Queen Street, and I think Rozene became Hitman Records.

Quote Originally Posted by epping blue wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 09:00
    Cant say I remember any of those from my years growing up in Bridgend. I do remember the Ranch, The Windsor and the little chippy next to the first Tesco's - actually I cant remember the name. Its probably why my hearing's faired much better than my waist line over the years.
    The Ranch is now a decent restaurant (not a chippy type), the Windsor is a tanning studio and Asteys is a betting office or Taxi rank

Quote Originally Posted by fingers wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 09:03
    Quote Originally Posted by JP1970 wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 08:56
    Opposite the Glamorgan Gazette offices was Eagle records run by Steve Tiley; a good guy.
    Yes Roxcene became Hitman records, though different owners I think. Yestertrax rings a bell...or was that the name of the one on Derwen rd?

before Asteys chippy (the one by the bus station - now Radio Cabs and a bookies) it was called Cavalli's; the Cavalli family now own the chippy in Cemetery Road.
    Yestertrax was definitely in Queen Street opposite the 3 Horse Shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 09:19
    before Asteys chippy (the one by the bus station - now Radio Cabs and a bookies) it was called Cavalli's; the Cavalli family now own the chippy in Cemetery Road.
    There was definatly a second hand record shop as well next door or two to Jones the Newsagents, upstairs it was...approx mid-late 1980's

Quote Originally Posted by JP1970 wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 09:26
    You've got me on that one

Quote Originally Posted by fingers wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 09:55
    Ah yes! think it was a video shop with bandits and Arcade games after.
    Don't think it lasted that long....maybe a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 04:40
    Couple of long haired moshers they were. I remember asking one of them if a certain record was heavy as in heavy metal....and he replied, "about 150grams" Twarts!

That's the one , eagle records , bought my first Sabbath album there

Quote Originally Posted by JP1970 wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 10:12
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 04:40
    One of the staff was a metal fan but a nasty piece of work , accused me of stealing tapes and had a rumble with him in a deserted shop , he stank of BO and in the end just smacked him one and told the ****to call the police if he wanted to
    I was looking through a cassette , the eagle has landed live by Saxon and the **** thumped me in the back and said I saw you put the cassette in your pocket I said I don't ****ing steal , here's the cassette box , he opens it out and of course the tape is there , I said you owe me an apology he says **** off moved towards me so I gave him a slap and told him to call the police , his attack on me would all be on his shops CCTV and never went in there again

Quote Originally Posted by JP1970 wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 09:00
    Another one for you Sludge is the one at the bottom of Park Street near to where the Printers shop is/was. Definately was there as I remember taking my Iron Maiden Vinyl collection to him to sell....all my Shaped picture discs, coloured vinyl, ltd edition stuff...Walked away with enough money for a good night on the pop
    Best chippy in Bridgend is the Italian one by the college , owners now wife who is Turkish had a thing for me before they got married