Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Welsh Fire have a mostly domestic (English) batting line up full of players who, Pope apart, are county performers currently. Now, if I was a marketing man, I’d have tried to get the team to sign Welsh born Phil Salt who is currently closer to the England one day teams than the likes of Clarke, Duckett, Banton and Hain, so you’d be getting a good player who could be marketed as the Welsh face of the team representing the country - increasingly, people will notice the lack of Welshmen and women in the squads, especially if results stay as poor as they have been for a season and more.

I can’t comment on the women yet, but the men’s side looks a poorly put together cricket team to me - granted, they’ve been unlucky to lose Bairstow.
I understand where you're coming from totally but the team have just had the largest domestic cricket crowd in Wales ever.

Marketing clearly isn't a problem at the moment. As you have rightly pointed out too, this crowd is off the back of some very poor performances.

If the performances stay bad then people will simply not go to games. I'm not sure they'll be thinking "Right, how many Welsh players have we got before I consider still going to games or not". I just don't think it is factored in as much as many would like to think it is in any sport these days.