Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
Isn't that the same with anything though?
Surely the large crowds show there is appetite for it though.

Does the player's background matter if they're serving up entertainment? Keeping in mind the make up of the City squad this season.

It didn't seem to matter to most of those yesterday. I do agree that they will drop off if the product is bad though. As with anything really.
Regarding City, you look back beyond the last decade and there’s always been a Welsh nucleus (often a large one) in the team. City’s first team may not have a Welsh identity these days (maybe that’s why I don’t feel as close a connection to the club now), but it’s had one for the huge majority of its existence. Same with Glamorgan, the number of Welsh players may have dropped, but they’re still there and they are definitely a Welsh team.

What is The Welsh Fire meant to be? A side representing Wales of just a franchise? The make up of the team currently suggests the latter and, if that’s the case, they may as well rebrand the team as South West Fire and start alternating home games with Bristol ( a large potential audience is being ignored there) and Taunton - after all, Gloucestershire and Somerset at least have some representation in the team.

I agree about the T20 Blast which the marketing and media people at the ECB seem to have grown tired of and thrown away like a discarded toy. You only need to look at other parts of the world to see how popular it is and yet the money men and women prefer a new competition which offers a little more than three overs a side less and a few gimmicks thrown in - give it a couple of years and they’ll be agitating for something else (the One maybe) and the Hundred will be seen as old hat.