Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
I agree with the mix of players for this formation has to be right. especially as we are using a double pivot in midfield - if the wing backs are defenders first then we would basically have 7 outfield players to defend and only 3 to attack.
that makes our attacks far too predictable and it is impossible to create any sort of pressure. so the ball is continually coming back at the defence.
when the u23s have used the formation well in recent weeks the wing backs have always joined in the attacks and overlapped. the extra options in attack has meant that when attacks break down its quickly recycled into another attack. we didn't see that at all against Huddersfield.
if the wing backs are too defensive, it is actually worse for our defence, as the whole team gets pinned back.
Good post. Even with four at the back I never really get whether a player like Peltier should be commended for his defensive ability or criticised because he's offering so little going forward that he's inviting pressure up his side.

I certainly wasn't advocating five defensive players in a back five, just saying I haven't got a problem if McCarthy would rather have a full back who can push on than a winger or midfielder in that position. It would seem to offer more flexibility that way if you want to change to a four or if you're under pressure late in a game. As you say though, it does need to be the right type of full back or you're never going to create enough pressure and chances.