Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
It was interesting to note that yesterday RB Leipzig, (who play 3-4-2-1 formation that I think clearly indicates that Nagelsmann is a student of the Mick McCarthy way of playing) opted for a winger and a defensive midfielder as their 2 wing backs - and had 2 fullbacks and one centre back in the back 3.

Fair enough that didn't work for them either, but I think it shows the opposite end of whatever spectrum starts with us having 4 centre backs on the pitch + whatever Sang is and ends with their 1 centre back and 2 full backs.
Definitely, I can imagine there are plenty of ways to play that system. I've no idea what McCarthy is thinking in terms of next season but playing four centre halves and then having to bring on Pack for Wilson because central midfield is getting overrun is a bit worrying looking forward.

I don't want to be too cynical about McCarthy yet. He can pretty much only play the cards he's been dealt for now, results have been great and he's stuck a couple of youngsters in when Warnock wouldn't have. Hopefully he'll decide there's another answer to the problem of players continually turning over possession other than just bringing on more players to win it back.

He only needs to keep watching the under-23 and Academy games to realise there's a different way forward here. Talented youngsters coming through and some of them have been playing the same kind of football together since they were 7 or 8. As I said earlier, he's watching them play and train regularly now so he'll know what they're about. Even if some of them don't turn out to be as good as expected, the least we should be doing is moving towards a style of play that will give them every opportunity to flourish.