+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m of the opposite opinion, I think we’d all benefit from Sunday trading restrictions re. Supermarkets, town centre stores etc. I feel for people working in retail who have no choice but to work on a Sunday. I know there are plenty of others who work on a Sunday but see no need for the stores to open. It’d be wonderful for shop staff to have a Saturday night out without clock watching or being able to have a family day on a Sunday. Fewer cars on the road as well, like years ago. There’s plenty of time through the week to do your shopping and if something is needed on a Sunday you can use your local corner shop, they need supporting. I can never understand people going berserk and overbuying in the run up to Christmas either, the shops are shut for one day!! Although I’ve heard a whisper that some aren’t opening on Boxing Day this year, as a thank you to staff who held the fort during lockdown apparently. Hope those staff get the holiday pay for it though.
    It is nice that there is one day a week where things are quieter and people can more easily relax and take a day off.

Although I remember as a kid the "keep Sunday special" movement, where churches would complain and lobby to keep everything shut on a Sunday because it was keeping people out of church.... Ridiculous. It wasn't. What was keeping people out of church was the stiff necked hypocritical pious self righteous bigots singing boring songs and listening to amateurs butchering the holy scriptures to fit their own prejudices.. but that's another story.🤣

Re: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    It is nice that there is one day a week where things are quieter and people can more easily relax and take a day off.

Although I remember as a kid the "keep Sunday special" movement, where churches would complain and lobby to keep everything shut on a Sunday because it was keeping people out of church.... Ridiculous. It wasn't. What was keeping people out of church was the stiff necked hypocritical pious self righteous bigots singing boring songs and listening to amateurs butchering the holy scriptures to fit their own prejudices.. but that's another story.��
    Oh God no, I’m not advocating going the whole hog, just a bit of streamlining of things. It wouldn’t be a bad thing to have a ‘different’ day in the week , a day that’s a bit calmer, it’s a bit sad that Sunday has become just another day.