+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Re: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    The greatest example of how science and religion differ I think is this......

If there was a nuclear war and all books were destroyed; in a few hundred years all the science books would have been rewitten exactly as they are today - the same could not be said for the religious books.
    I believe the Quaker's Faith and Practice book is updated every year.

Is it time to do away with Sunday trading restrictions now then? I say yes. apparently they already have in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I believe the Quaker's Faith and Practice book is updated every year.
    It's good that they do that but my point still stands. Doctrine and theism is almost completely subjectively created. You can stress test or empirically prove a religious text. And so to put all your belief in such a model is bound to throw up a few issues.

You can still believe in a prime mover or God without following a prescriptive doctrine.

You can still believe in a prime mover or God without following a prescriptive doctrine.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure nobody has clicked the link I provided when bumping this thread called 'Quakers dropping God'.

Yes, I'm pretty sure nobody has clicked the link I provided when bumping this thread called 'Quakers dropping God'.
    I think the Buddhists beat them to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Is it time to do away with Sunday trading restrictions now then? I say yes. apparently they already have in Scotland
    I’m of the opposite opinion, I think we’d all benefit from Sunday trading restrictions re. Supermarkets, town centre stores etc. I feel for people working in retail who have no choice but to work on a Sunday. I know there are plenty of others who work on a Sunday but see no need for the stores to open. It’d be wonderful for shop staff to have a Saturday night out without clock watching or being able to have a family day on a Sunday. Fewer cars on the road as well, like years ago. There’s plenty of time through the week to do your shopping and if something is needed on a Sunday you can use your local corner shop, they need supporting. I can never understand people going berserk and overbuying in the run up to Christmas either, the shops are shut for one day!! Although I’ve heard a whisper that some aren’t opening on Boxing Day this year, as a thank you to staff who held the fort during lockdown apparently. Hope those staff get the holiday pay for it though.

Absolutely spot on splott parker. Used to work Sundays in retail and the later start was a very welcome chance to play with kids without the rush of the school run - only day of the week we had. Glad I'm out of it now, but would really feel for retail staff if they got shot of Sunday trading.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m of the opposite opinion, I think we’d all benefit from Sunday trading restrictions re. Supermarkets, town centre stores etc. I feel for people working in retail who have no choice but to work on a Sunday. I know there are plenty of others who work on a Sunday but see no need for the stores to open. It’d be wonderful for shop staff to have a Saturday night out without clock watching or being able to have a family day on a Sunday. Fewer cars on the road as well, like years ago. There’s plenty of time through the week to do your shopping and if something is needed on a Sunday you can use your local corner shop, they need supporting. I can never understand people going berserk and overbuying in the run up to Christmas either, the shops are shut for one day!! Although I’ve heard a whisper that some aren’t opening on Boxing Day this year, as a thank you to staff who held the fort during lockdown apparently. Hope those staff get the holiday pay for it though.
    It is nice that there is one day a week where things are quieter and people can more easily relax and take a day off.

Although I remember as a kid the "keep Sunday special" movement, where churches would complain and lobby to keep everything shut on a Sunday because it was keeping people out of church.... Ridiculous. It wasn't. What was keeping people out of church was the stiff necked hypocritical pious self righteous bigots singing boring songs and listening to amateurs butchering the holy scriptures to fit their own prejudices.. but that's another story.🤣

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    It is nice that there is one day a week where things are quieter and people can more easily relax and take a day off.

Although I remember as a kid the "keep Sunday special" movement, where churches would complain and lobby to keep everything shut on a Sunday because it was keeping people out of church.... Ridiculous. It wasn't. What was keeping people out of church was the stiff necked hypocritical pious self righteous bigots singing boring songs and listening to amateurs butchering the holy scriptures to fit their own prejudices.. but that's another story.��
    Oh God no, I’m not advocating going the whole hog, just a bit of streamlining of things. It wouldn’t be a bad thing to have a ‘different’ day in the week , a day that’s a bit calmer, it’s a bit sad that Sunday has become just another day.

I think the Buddhists beat them to it.
    It’s quite interesting how a Christian group at formation has evolved.

Oh God no, I’m not advocating going the whole hog, just a bit of streamlining of things. It wouldn’t be a bad thing to have a ‘different’ day in the week , a day that’s a bit calmer, it’s a bit sad that Sunday has become just another day.
    I actually agree. A day where things are a bit more relaxed and people can carve out some time with their families is a great thing.

I once got stuck in a lift with some Orthodox Jews in Israel on the Sabbath. King David Hotel. Lifts on the Sabbath in Israel stop at every floor so orthodox Jews don't have to press the buttons .. that is seen as 'work'. Anyway, the doors wouldn't open. There was an override switch. They weren't allowed to press it. Their previous indifference demeanor towards me soon turned a little more kindly as they looked at me so I would press the ****ing button. I made them wait a few minutes before I did. What utter nonsense.

I think it should be possible for us as a society to achieve both shops being open on a Sunday and giving workers a better work life balance

Indeed, and the RCC and other man-made Religions have done their best, but true Christianity remains and it is growing rapidly when you look at the bigger picture worldwide. It will continue to do so, despite nations like ours doing their best to stamp it out.

* As for the atheist, this is NOT a person of no faith, but an individual with more faith than any Christian (see below):-
    LeeStr.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Indeed, and the RCC and other man-made Religions have done their best, but true Christianity remains and it is growing rapidly when you look at the bigger picture worldwide. It will continue to do so, despite nations like ours doing their best to stamp it out.

* As for the atheist, this is NOT a person of no faith, but an individual with more faith than any Christian (see below)
    Mr Strobel seems to think atheists think like him (and you). But there again there's always that egotism with you lot.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I actually agree. A day where things are a bit more relaxed and people can carve out some time with their families is a great thing.

I once got stuck in a lift with some Orthodox Jews in Israel on the Sabbath. King David Hotel. Lifts on the Sabbath in Israel stop at every floor so orthodox Jews don't have to press the buttons .. that is seen as 'work'. Anyway, the doors wouldn't open. There was an override switch. They weren't allowed to press it. Their previous indifference demeanor towards me soon turned a little more kindly as they looked at me so I would press the ****ing button. I made them wait a few minutes before I did. What utter nonsense.
    That's the difference between "religion" and Christianity for you! Unfortunately most people don't (won't?) recognise the difference.

It's mostly complete nonsense

I have respect for aborigine worship of the land and American Indian logic and reasoning . And some of the Eastern religions have a fringe appeal .

But Christianity, Islam , Judaism all cobblers

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think it should be possible for us as a society to achieve both shops being open on a Sunday and giving workers a better work life balance
    Totally agree! I think it selfish for some people to want only this "landscape of peace and tranquility" on a Sunday. Many people suffering from depression, particularly those living alone, are badly affected by the loneliness a Sunday can effect. For some people the hustle and bustle of shopping would be a "Godsend" (please excuse the pun). Anyway, is it really so heinous for people to want to shop for food in a supermarket after 4 pm on a Sunday?

By the way if someone does want a Sunday off, what's stopping us giving a couple of quid to those poor people on the sole to work every Sunday as cover? Nature offers us many solutions if we are prepared to be broad-minded.

* As for the atheist, this is NOT a person of no faith, but an individual with more faith than any Christian (see below):-
    LeeStr.jpg
    Got a source for Christianity “growing rapidly” worldwide?

It’s in decline in Europe and North and South America and the largest growing populations, India and China, have very few Christians to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post

It’s in decline in Europe and North and South America and the largest growing populations, India and China, have very few Christians to begin with.
    "Atheists have more faith than Christians"...no Strobel you nerd, Atheists are not so intellectually challenged and are open to there being a higher truth set than we can conceive of given our narrow frame of reference. Therefore there may always be the possibility of "something emerging from nothing'. Otherwise if that were not true people like Strobel are insinuating that God must have had a prior causal agency! In which case was there Proto God, and who came before him or her ad nausium?

Growing rapidly in Africa. It’s been in long decline in the UK.

Before white missionaries , many of them very dodgy , spread the word much of Africa was doing fine

As was South America before the Spanish turned up

Bloody nonsense all of it

Islam is growing quickest of the 2 major religions in Africa. I’m still not sure if the increasing numbers in Africa are enough to account for the decreases seen in Europe and N/S America.

Ti's true

The horn of Africa such as Somalia, Sudan etc used to be the centre of Islam in Africa but the faith has spread

I have no time for any organised religion

Islam is growing quickest of the 2 major religions in Africa. I’m still not sure if the increasing numbers in Africa are enough to account for the decreases seen in Europe and N/S America.
    The british press wouldn't acknowledge this, however an average of 16,000 Muslims convert to Christianity each and every day, and that's not Christian religion, that's Christianity.

The british press wouldn't acknowledge this
    Probably because they'd want some proof of such a random statistic and how that was measured.