Thread: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Latest British Social Survey finds 52% of the Country are non Religious

Quote Originally Posted by The Gifaffe View Post
    👍

Christened Cafolic.
    Bin to Rome to see da pope give Mass at St, Peters square.
    currently agnostic.
    Religun is IMO a mass control tool of division.
    They want you divided by
    Religion
    Race
    Colour
    Sex
    Divided you are weak
    Together you are strong
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Christened Cafolic.
    Bin to Rome to see da pope give Mass at St, Peters square.
    currently agnostic.
    Religun is IMO a mass control tool of division.
    They want you divided by
    Religion
    Race
    Colour
    Sex
    Divided you are weak
    Together you are strong
    Q

Well religion can be used as a tool for division and no doubt it often has been, but so can lots of other things. It doesn't mean that religion itself is bad if people misuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Well religion can be used as a tool for division and no doubt it often has been, but so can lots of other things. It doesn't mean that religion itself is bad if people misuse it.
    mentioned lots of other things....sex race etc....forgot football club tho

Know your realities - Objective Reality v Fictional Reality

what if god did turn up and he looked like a giant flea.do you think the people would be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Rogersblue View Post
    what if god did turn up and he looked like a giant flea.do you think the people would be disappointed

Entomologists wouldn't be, but that's not going to happen .

Came across this. Given the frequent, often polarised, discussions about religion and the religious on here thought I'd share it. The Quakers are also known as The Religious Society Of Friends.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-dropping-god

The greatest example of how science and religion differ I think is this......

If there was a nuclear war and all books were destroyed; in a few hundred years all the science books would have been rewitten exactly as they are today - the same could not be said for the religious books.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post

If there was a nuclear war and all books were destroyed; in a few hundred years all the science books would have been rewitten exactly as they are today - the same could not be said for the religious books.
    Isn't that the same for any historical book?

I believe the Quaker's Faith and Practice book is updated every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I believe the Quaker's Faith and Practice book is updated every year.
    It's good that they do that but my point still stands. Doctrine and theism is almost completely subjectively created. You can stress test or empirically prove a religious text. And so to put all your belief in such a model is bound to throw up a few issues.

You can still believe in a prime mover or God without following a prescriptive doctrine.

You can still believe in a prime mover or God without following a prescriptive doctrine.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure nobody has clicked the link I provided when bumping this thread called 'Quakers dropping God'.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Yes, I'm pretty sure nobody has clicked the link I provided when bumping this thread called 'Quakers dropping God'.
    I think the Buddhists beat them to it.

Completely anti religion after being forced and indoctrinated for my childhood years. Once that figure gets closer to 100% I think the human race can further evolve

Is it time to do away with Sunday trading restrictions now then? I say yes. apparently they already have in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Is it time to do away with Sunday trading restrictions now then? I say yes. apparently they already have in Scotland
    I’m of the opposite opinion, I think we’d all benefit from Sunday trading restrictions re. Supermarkets, town centre stores etc. I feel for people working in retail who have no choice but to work on a Sunday. I know there are plenty of others who work on a Sunday but see no need for the stores to open. It’d be wonderful for shop staff to have a Saturday night out without clock watching or being able to have a family day on a Sunday. Fewer cars on the road as well, like years ago. There’s plenty of time through the week to do your shopping and if something is needed on a Sunday you can use your local corner shop, they need supporting. I can never understand people going berserk and overbuying in the run up to Christmas either, the shops are shut for one day!! Although I’ve heard a whisper that some aren’t opening on Boxing Day this year, as a thank you to staff who held the fort during lockdown apparently. Hope those staff get the holiday pay for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m of the opposite opinion, I think we’d all benefit from Sunday trading restrictions re. Supermarkets, town centre stores etc. I feel for people working in retail who have no choice but to work on a Sunday. I know there are plenty of others who work on a Sunday but see no need for the stores to open. It’d be wonderful for shop staff to have a Saturday night out without clock watching or being able to have a family day on a Sunday. Fewer cars on the road as well, like years ago. There’s plenty of time through the week to do your shopping and if something is needed on a Sunday you can use your local corner shop, they need supporting. I can never understand people going berserk and overbuying in the run up to Christmas either, the shops are shut for one day!! Although I’ve heard a whisper that some aren’t opening on Boxing Day this year, as a thank you to staff who held the fort during lockdown apparently. Hope those staff get the holiday pay for it though.
    I think it should be possible for us as a society to achieve both shops being open on a Sunday and giving workers a better work life balance

Absolutely spot on splott parker. Used to work Sundays in retail and the later start was a very welcome chance to play with kids without the rush of the school run - only day of the week we had. Glad I'm out of it now, but would really feel for retail staff if they got shot of Sunday trading.

It is nice that there is one day a week where things are quieter and people can more easily relax and take a day off.

Although I remember as a kid the "keep Sunday special" movement, where churches would complain and lobby to keep everything shut on a Sunday because it was keeping people out of church.... Ridiculous. It wasn't. What was keeping people out of church was the stiff necked hypocritical pious self righteous bigots singing boring songs and listening to amateurs butchering the holy scriptures to fit their own prejudices.. but that's another story.🤣

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    It is nice that there is one day a week where things are quieter and people can more easily relax and take a day off.

Although I remember as a kid the "keep Sunday special" movement, where churches would complain and lobby to keep everything shut on a Sunday because it was keeping people out of church.... Ridiculous. It wasn't. What was keeping people out of church was the stiff necked hypocritical pious self righteous bigots singing boring songs and listening to amateurs butchering the holy scriptures to fit their own prejudices.. but that's another story.��
    Oh God no, I’m not advocating going the whole hog, just a bit of streamlining of things. It wouldn’t be a bad thing to have a ‘different’ day in the week , a day that’s a bit calmer, it’s a bit sad that Sunday has become just another day.

Oh God no, I’m not advocating going the whole hog, just a bit of streamlining of things. It wouldn’t be a bad thing to have a ‘different’ day in the week , a day that’s a bit calmer, it’s a bit sad that Sunday has become just another day.
    I actually agree. A day where things are a bit more relaxed and people can carve out some time with their families is a great thing.

I once got stuck in a lift with some Orthodox Jews in Israel on the Sabbath. King David Hotel. Lifts on the Sabbath in Israel stop at every floor so orthodox Jews don't have to press the buttons .. that is seen as 'work'. Anyway, the doors wouldn't open. There was an override switch. They weren't allowed to press it. Their previous indifference demeanor towards me soon turned a little more kindly as they looked at me so I would press the ****ing button. I made them wait a few minutes before I did. What utter nonsense.

I actually agree. A day where things are a bit more relaxed and people can carve out some time with their families is a great thing.

I once got stuck in a lift with some Orthodox Jews in Israel on the Sabbath. King David Hotel. Lifts on the Sabbath in Israel stop at every floor so orthodox Jews don't have to press the buttons .. that is seen as 'work'. Anyway, the doors wouldn't open. There was an override switch. They weren't allowed to press it. Their previous indifference demeanor towards me soon turned a little more kindly as they looked at me so I would press the ****ing button. I made them wait a few minutes before I did. What utter nonsense.
    That's the difference between "religion" and Christianity for you! Unfortunately most people don't (won't?) recognise the difference.

I understand that some orthodox Jews turn on slow cookers the day before their Sabbath in order to avoid using electricity on the day itself. For my part, I flew to Tel Aviv on an EasyJet flight whose passengers were predominantly Orthodox Jews - and it was strange to see ladies, both young and old, dispensing with what turned out to be wigs for the duration of the flight and seeing them re-adorn them over their own hair before landing. For some reason, a sizeable proportion of the men spent the flight standing up chatting to their friends and family and dispensing crisps, snacks, cheesy puffs and the like - and when they returned to their seats before landing the carpet of the plane was like the floor of a hamster cage.

I hope that the screed above doesn't misrepresent any particular branch of orthodoxy or the people as a whole.

Some of the Orthodox food laws (kashrut) are particularly interesting:

Land animals must have cloven (split) hooves and must chew the cud, meaning that they must eat grass.
    Seafood must have fins and scales. Eating shellfish is not allowed.
    It is forbidden to eat birds of prey. Only clean birds, meaning birds that do not eat other animals, can be eaten. Poultry is allowed.
    Meat and dairy cannot be eaten together, as it says in the Torah: do not boil a kid in its mother’s milk (Exodus 23:19). So Jews who follow these dietary rules cannot eat cheeseburgers for example. Often this rule is extended further, so that people wait up to six hours after eating meat before they eat dairy.

It's mostly complete nonsense

I have respect for aborigine worship of the land and American Indian logic and reasoning . And some of the Eastern religions have a fringe appeal .

But Christianity, Islam , Judaism all cobblers