+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I didn't want to show you the attached press article as any posts from the Daily Mail are usually rubbished. But this article contains information which covers the position long before the firebreak. Of course you are entitled to your opinion that pre firebreak the position in Wales was OK but I am also entitled to mine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-crisis.html

Your postings are very biased and before you ask I was once a member of the Labour Party for many years as I have explained previously in my many exchanges with SLUDGE. Politics in Wales needs a decent opposition and sadly there isn't one and probably never will while the bias is so much in favour of one Party.
    You’re putting words in my mouth now. Yoo started this conversation when you contested my view that the UK Government had been more lax than the Welsh one - that does not equate to me thinking the WAG we’re doing “okay” pre Firebreak. That leads me on to what you say about the Labour Party. I class myself as a Labour voter, but I didn’t vote for them in the last Assembly election and I don’t think think I did in the two before that - if you’re bored, you can look at my postings on COVID in the spring, you’ll see quite a few where I was critical of the WAG.

Finally, no doubt you think some articles I post on here from the Guardian are nothing more than Labour Party propaganda, well that Daily Mail article could have been written by Conservative Party Central Office. I posted about the ONS stat of one in sixty having the virus in Wales because I found it pretty alarming as it was the first week I’d noticed where the figure was worse than in England - stats like those from a politically neutral source were the sort of things I had in mind when I asked what stats you had.

It strikes me that they could put us in Tier 50 and as long as the schools reopen it's borderline pointless. Tens of millions of adults locked down, but tens of millions of kids mix freely and probably without any social distancing* then go home to their families. Tier 4 lockdown might help to a degree but the virus still has a very viable way to spread amongst people.

*That's not a criticism of any youngsters, it's just realistic because of the design of schools with the hallways, canteens etc

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It strikes me that they could put us in Tier 50 and as long as the schools reopen it's borderline pointless. Tens of millions of adults locked down, but tens of millions of kids mix freely and probably without any social distancing* then go home to their families. Tier 4 lockdown might help to a degree but the virus still has a very viable way to spread amongst people.

*That's not a criticism of any youngsters, it's just realistic because of the design of schools with the hallways, canteens etc
    I don't think that there are 'tens of millions' of kids in school, not even close i would've thought, although agree with your general point.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think that there are 'tens of millions' of kids in school, not even close i would've thought, although agree with your general point.
    The reality of your comment on the number of kids in school may surprise you. The figures posted below are for all UK.

How many schools are there in the UK? There are currently 32,770 schools in the UK. Of these, 3,714 are nurseries or early-learning centres, 20,832 are primary schools, 19 are middle schools and 4,188 are secondary schools. There are 2,408 independent schools, 1,257 special schools and 352 pupil referral units (PRUs).28 Oct 2019

I reckon that should add up to several million.
    PS. The Gov web site says in July there were 8,890,000 children in school in UK, except of course they weren't actually in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Cheers Hilts. So not like LB was trying to make out, unless he know's different.
    I've had a brief look at past WG notices on distribution of the vaccine and can't find Drakeford's quote that each health authority gets an equal share. However I am sure he said it.

I did find a quote from him that Wales was the first country in the world to get supplies of the Pfizer vaccine!!

I looked again at the N Wales newspaper article and the WG spokesperson does not say that allocations to health authorities are based on the number of priority groups of patients. What he comments on are the number of jabs given to date in each health authority varying because of variance in priority group numbers. He also says that variations in allocations to each is because of ongoing distribution of stock ( ie it will even up as more stock is distributed) which ties in with my original understanding that each Authority receives the same quantity of stock.

Whatever, I just wish they would get on with using the stuff

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

It might be more rife among teenagers and secondary schools as there hasn’t been a single case in my kids primary or barely any others I know in Cardiff. No doubt there has been some but in general I don’t know any primary kids who have been off and I know quite a few. I guess this testing idea so the whole class doesn’t have to stay off is the way to go? Or even, they could get either if the two vaccines rolled out ASAP.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Did you spend your Christmas peering out of the window spying on the neighbours?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It might be more rife among teenagers and secondary schools as there hasn’t been a single case in my kids primary or barely any others I know in Cardiff. No doubt there has been some but in general I don’t know any primary kids who have been off and I know quite a few. I guess this testing idea so the whole class doesn’t have to stay off is the way to go? Or even, they could get either if the two vaccines rolled out ASAP.....
    There's been at least 4 cases in my kids primary school since they reopened in Sept and at least the same in the comp. (Its a 3-18 school).

There is no social distancing in the primary school.

More up to date vaccine figures at the bottom of this comprehensive list of Welsh Covid related stats.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52380643

That’s a very detailed and scientific approach to ascertaining Covid-19 rates in Primary schools.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You’re putting words in my mouth now. Yoo started this conversation when you contested my view that the UK Government had been more lax than the Welsh one - that does not equate to me thinking the WAG we’re doing “okay” pre Firebreak. That leads me on to what you say about the Labour Party. I class myself as a Labour voter, but I didn’t vote for them in the last Assembly election and I don’t think think I did in the two before that - if you’re bored, you can look at my postings on COVID in the spring, you’ll see quite a few where I was critical of the WAG.

Finally, no doubt you think some articles I post on here from the Guardian are nothing more than Labour Party propaganda, well that Daily Mail article could have been written by Conservative Party Central Office. I posted about the ONS stat of one in sixty having the virus in Wales because I found it pretty alarming as it was the first week I’d noticed where the figure was worse than in England - stats like those from a politically neutral source were the sort of things I had in mind when I asked what stats you had.
    Indeed I did start the conversation but you prolonged it by raising matters that required a response. Our exchanges started when you made the extraordinary statement that England had been more lax than Wales which I refuted. You argued that all my points were made post firebreak and I responded that I withheld the Daily Mail article because I knew it would be dismissed which in fact you did by stating it could have been written by Conservative Central Office. While I agree the article seems like that there are hard facts on the public record such as the number of tests undertaken, the 9000 test target set by the WAG which the CE of Public Health Wales was unaware of and the WAG telling Welsh residents to use the 111 service when that service was not available in North Wales. These facts are irrefutable.

I've provided the evidence post lockdown as well as the evidence which you implicitly requested pre lockdown. Let's face it both the English and Welsh governments have made mistakes and the actions of neither are unlikely to stand up to close scrutiny but until that scrutiny happens I don't think you can make comparisons between the two. I have merely pointed out that the WAG has made mistakes both pre and post lockdown.

That aside, as far as I am concerned, your original statement that England has been more lax than Wales is incorrect and that brings us back to where we started. By all means have the last say but for the sake of readers on here I shall leave it there.

The number of people in hospital in England is now greater than it was during the April peak and we haven't had the impact of Christmas relaxation yet.

The more infectious SARS-CoV2 VOC 202012/01 strain is spreading at a similar rate across the whole UK.

If the virus continues to mutate, it increases the likelihood that current vaccines will not work.

There might be too many rules, and not everyone makes sense, but really important to: i) stay as much as possible within household bubbles, ii) social distance from anyone outside this, iii) wear a mask, iv) ensure good ventilation for any inside activity, and inside activity should be avoided as much as possible. Oh, and keep washing your hands.

We don't want to return to March/April levels of panic but situation in many is as at least as serious as it was back then.

Sources:

1. https://twitter.com/chrischirp/statu...39781448802310
    2. https://twitter.com/TWenseleers/stat...75693544796160
    3. https://twitter.com/JeremyFarrar/sta...29118538178560

Meanwhile the Brits abroad are enjoying themselves.....what a load of idiots!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55471235

We were already becoming world pariahs having apparently spread the new variant of COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    There's been at least 4 cases in my kids primary school since they reopened in Sept and at least the same in the comp. (Its a 3-18 school).

There is no social distancing in the primary school.
    Almost impossible to keep younger primary kids apart though, do they even get it or able to carry it? They don’t really know for sure.
    Here’s a mind boggling idea, vaccinate the teachers too urgently so kids go to school and parents can work.....crazy stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    That’s a very detailed and scientific approach to ascertaining Covid-19 rates in Primary schools.
    It is, I’ve taken say 20 couples I know in about 15 different schools, only one has had his kid off and that was roath park primary.
    You could then multiply it by 10 to get a good idea of how rife it is at P level. No worries

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Meanwhile the Brits abroad are enjoying themselves.....what a load of idiots!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55471235

We were already becoming world pariahs having apparently spread the new variant of COVID.
    Not a mask in sight....idiots

Locally to me they have tended to mostly get mild symptoms, usually gastrointestinal and therefore because the public at large think covid=cough lots of kids who are infectious and symptomatic are probably not being tested..

It is, I’ve taken say 20 couples I know in about 15 different schools, only one has had his kid off and that was roath park primary.
    You could then multiply it by 10 to get a good idea of how rife it is at P level. No worries
    4 year groups have had to isolate at one stage or the other in our Primary School. The school was closed for much of December because of staff shortages caused by isolating and positive tests too.

You should pass on these findings to Public Health Wales who report 93.9% of primary schools in Cardiff have had a case of Covid-19.

Perhaps their recording techniques are not quantitative nor qualitative enough.

so this Ryanairs new advert promoting ' jab and go ' to entice people to book up early for your summer holidays is causing a bit of a stir on social media

a good piece of advertising or poor taste whats everyone's take on this here ?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    so this Ryanairs new advert promoting ' jab and go ' to entice people to book up early for your summer holidays is causing a bit of a stir on social media

a good piece of advertising or poor taste whats everyone's take on this here ?
    It's slightly insensitive and in poor taste but I can't say it particularly upsets me. It's triggered some though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhv7dUrHMhM

You should pass on these findings to Public Health Wales who report 93.9% of primary schools in Cardiff have had a case of Covid-19.

Or just BS maybe? Two weeks ago the new strain was causing 60% of all cases in Wales, suddenly, post xmas it’s only 10% and was never more.....

If only we had a testing system hey, most could no doubt get an education......

Over 53,000 new UK cases today, but they're saying this is partly down to a lag in the figures over Christmas.