+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 48

Thread: UK temperatures....

  1. #1

    UK temperatures....

    Have to smile when the DM and DE say that the UK is going to BAKE in temperatures of 26/27 degrees(!).
    That seems very pleasant to me...and I am sure many other ex uk people.

    Even here in the Dordogne it was 30-32 degrees last week and will be again later this week......and that is in the shade....put a thermometer in the sun and it's more like 40 degrees.....

  2. #2
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    8,391

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Have to smile when the DM and DE say that the UK is going to BAKE in temperatures of 26/27 degrees(!).
    That seems very pleasant to me...and I am sure many other ex uk people.

    Even here in the Dordogne it was 30-32 degrees last week and will be again later this week......and that is in the shade....put a thermometer in the sun and it's more like 40 degrees.....
    It was 34 in Baku last week. I was in Cardiff.

  3. #3

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Have to smile when the DM and DE say that the UK is going to BAKE in temperatures of 26/27 degrees(!).
    That seems very pleasant to me...and I am sure many other ex uk people.

    Even here in the Dordogne it was 30-32 degrees last week and will be again later this week......and that is in the shade....put a thermometer in the sun and it's more like 40 degrees.....
    Cant be doing with anything more than 20 degrees c

    Warm days , cool nights

  4. #4

    Re: UK temperatures....

    I've been to hotter places, and it didn't seem so uncomfortable.
    The thing about our little island is that heat here tends to be humid heat, which can be unpleasant for many.
    I once knew a Nigerian who hated our warmest days!

  5. #5
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    8,391

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I've been to hotter places, and it didn't seem so uncomfortable.
    The thing about our little island is that heat here tends to be humid heat, which can be unpleasant for many.
    I once knew a Nigerian who hated our warmest days!
    The cold here can be the same. i have been out in a tee shirt in -10 in Berlin because it was a crisp dry cold and the sun was shining. here the cold is normally damp and gets in your bones.

  6. #6

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The cold here can be the same. i have been out in a tee shirt in -10 in Berlin because it was a crisp dry cold and the sun was shining. here the cold is normally damp and gets in your bones.
    Out in a T shirt and minus 10. Are you sure?😂

  7. #7

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Out in a T shirt and minus 10. Are you sure?��
    It was probably a Thermal Shirt, but xsnaggle only read as far as the letter T.

  8. #8

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Have to smile when the DM and DE say that the UK is going to BAKE in temperatures of 26/27 degrees(!).
    That seems very pleasant to me...and I am sure many other ex uk people.

    Even here in the Dordogne it was 30-32 degrees last week and will be again later this week......and that is in the shade....put a thermometer in the sun and it's more like 40 degrees.....
    Have you ever thought that the best way to compare temperatures between where you live in the Dordogne and the bits of the UK where you used to live would be the many different weather forecast websites that don't drift into hyperbole unlike the Daily Express or Daily Mail every time UK temperatures vary outside a plus or minus 3 degree norm.

    On that theme each time the Daily Express and the Daily Mail use capitals to emphasise whatever point they are trying to make perhaps that would give pause for thought that the more they are trying to force a point the less likely it is to be true?

  9. #9

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I've been to hotter places, and it didn't seem so uncomfortable.
    The thing about our little island is that heat here tends to be humid heat, which can be unpleasant for many.
    I once knew a Nigerian who hated our warmest days!
    I guess it’s what you become accustomed to,
    Mid Summer here is quite oppressive.
    Hot as **** with Intense humidity.
    Too hot to touch the steering wheel and The back of your shirt is soaked when you step outside.

    The Winter is worse as there is no moisture in the air at all with just a barren brown/grey landscape.
    Turkey Vultures sitting in barren trees and typically a good few feet of snow that has been pushed to the side of the roads and then turned grey by the traffic.

    It’s nice getting back home and experiencing the weather regardless of the season.

  10. #10
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    8,391

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Out in a T shirt and minus 10. Are you sure?��
    Absolutely! Christmas morning 1987. The first time it had actually snowed on Christmas day since the terrible winter of 1947. After new year I had to come back to UK and when I spoke to my wife on about 13 Jan she told me that that day was the first time the temperature had gone above -10 since I left.
    Mind i was shovelling 3 feet of snow off the path

  11. #11

    Re: UK temperatures....

    I live in a sub-tropical area. The humidity here is unbelievable! I have a hygrometer in my living room and some days it reads 99% humidity (it only goes up to 99 - not 100). The walls and appliances in our apartment are often dripping wet.

    In the winter the temperatures are not severe (lowest will be about 3-4°c), however, due to the humidity, it feels wayyyy colder! I often wear thermal underwear (I never used to in the UK) and TWO pairs of gloves when riding my e-bike.

  12. #12

    Re: UK temperatures....

    This lockdown weather is getting spooky, I mean just how long can it be dry for? What is it now, 2 or 3 days of slight rain? It’s almost as if the weather is being controlled to keep our heads above water, endless sunshine through April and May? Hhhhmmmmmm I’m off to watch the Truman show

  13. #13

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Cant be doing with anything more than 20 degrees c

    Warm days , cool nights
    Twenty's plenty.

  14. #14

    Re: UK temperatures....

    One word...drought. Time to panic buy bottled water and chemical toilets. You heard it here first (and in The Times on Saturday....not the panic buying bit).

  15. #15

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    This lockdown weather is getting spooky, I mean just how long can it be dry for? What is it now, 2 or 3 days of slight rain? It’s almost as if the weather is being controlled to keep our heads above water, endless sunshine through April and May? Hhhhmmmmmm I’m off to watch the Truman show
    It's a shame, considering all that lovely rain we had before the lockdown. If we could have kept half of that, we'd be fine for a decade.

    I suggest we use Merthyr as a new reservoir.

  16. #16

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    This lockdown weather is getting spooky, I mean just how long can it be dry for? What is it now, 2 or 3 days of slight rain? It’s almost as if the weather is being controlled to keep our heads above water, endless sunshine through April and May? Hhhhmmmmmm I’m off to watch the Truman show
    Absolutely lashed down in Splott on more than one occasion on Saturday morning.

  17. #17

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Absolutely lashed down in Splott on more than one occasion on Saturday morning.
    You should move over to the Heath, blue skies allday

  18. #18

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    One word...drought. Time to panic buy bottled water and chemical toilets. You heard it here first (and in The Times on Saturday....not the panic buying bit).
    could that be the next buzzword. We had brexit, floods, brexit, election, brexit, virus could be DROUGHT.

  19. #19

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    This lockdown weather is getting spooky, I mean just how long can it be dry for? What is it now, 2 or 3 days of slight rain? It’s almost as if the weather is being controlled to keep our heads above water, endless sunshine through April and May? Hhhhmmmmmm I’m off to watch the Truman show
    I am thinking of adding another rain barrel in my back garden as the 5 I have already are running very low.....

  20. #20

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Its 50 degrees in my all in one plastic iolation suit and mask when I go to Aldi's

  21. #21

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's a shame, considering all that lovely rain we had before the lockdown. If we could have kept half of that, we'd be fine for a decade.

    I suggest we use Merthyr as a new reservoir.
    You’ll need Merthyr for somewhere to move to when global warming impacts means Cardiff is underwater by 2040. Be great for people in the valleys when it happens as they’ll all have a sea view.

  22. #22

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    You’ll need Merthyr for somewhere to move to when global warming impacts means Cardiff is underwater by 2040. Be great for people in the valleys when it happens as they’ll all have a sea view.
    Theres no panic Mark Drakeford has said if global warming continues we can fall back on Roath Park water supplies.

  23. #23

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    You’ll need Merthyr for somewhere to move to when global warming impacts means Cardiff is underwater by 2040. Be great for people in the valleys when it happens as they’ll all have a sea view.
    Think of the property prices too

    My £70,000 two bedroomed terrace will be at Caerfilthy prices in 2035, and at Monaco prices in 2040.

  24. #24

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Think of the property prices too

    My £70,000 two bedroomed terrace will be at Caerfilthy prices in 2035, and at Monaco prices in 2040.
    When Ferndale becomes flooded with sea water and is turned into a beach, property prices in Maerdy will quadruple to £20k for a 4 bedroom detached.

  25. #25

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Absolutely! Christmas morning 1987. The first time it had actually snowed on Christmas day since the terrible winter of 1947. After new year I had to come back to UK and when I spoke to my wife on about 13 Jan she told me that that day was the first time the temperature had gone above -10 since I left.
    Mind i was shovelling 3 feet of snow off the path
    I get very confused by temperatures, and agree with your point, I have been walking the dog in -1 in the Uk big coat and been chilled to the bone.

    While on a ski holiday a few years back the temperature dropped to -26 one night, I had casual clothes on and it didn’t seem as bad

  26. #26

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    This lockdown weather is getting spooky, I mean just how long can it be dry for? What is it now, 2 or 3 days of slight rain? It’s almost as if the weather is being controlled to keep our heads above water, endless sunshine through April and May? Hhhhmmmmmm I’m off to watch the Truman show

    I've had the same discussion with my wife. Seems like a trade-off. On the one side we'll give you a truly nasty pandemic, but fear not, you're going to have the best weather you've ever had in April and May.

    I dread to think what the weather will be like when the terms of this agreement expire and we return to normality again.

  27. #27

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I've had the same discussion with my wife. Seems like a trade-off. On the one side we'll give you a truly nasty pandemic, but fear not, you're going to have the best weather you've ever had in April and May.

    I dread to think what the weather will be like when the terms of this agreement expire and we return to normality again.
    They will turn the rain back on when everyone is supposed to go back to work and kids go to school

  28. #28

    Re: UK temperatures....

    QUOTE=goats;5079981]You should move over to the Heath, blue skies allday[/QUOTE]

    You must have still been under the duvet goats pissed down very heavily at least three times on Saturday morning.

  29. #29

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    QUOTE=goats;5079981]You should move over to the Heath, blue skies allday
    You must have still been under the duvet goats pissed down very heavily at least three times on Saturday morning.[/QUOTE]

    Proper lockdown here, curtains drawn and everything.....
    Don’t worry I know it rained a bit last week, particularly at 4.30am Friday as I was camping in the garden with my two boys. 6 year old jumped up asking what the noise was, it was torrential and he usually sleeps through anything....it was a long day last Friday.

  30. #30

    Re: UK temperatures....

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You must have still been under the duvet goats pissed down very heavily at least three times on Saturday morning.
    Proper lockdown here, curtains drawn and everything.....
    Don’t worry I know it rained a bit last week, particularly at 4.30am Friday as I was camping in the garden with my two boys. 6 year old jumped up asking what the noise was, it was torrential and he usually sleeps through anything....it was a long day last Friday.[/QUOTE]



    Camping? Is the clubhouse open?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •