+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How wrong is this guy about Warnock?

How wrong is this guy about Warnock?

That performance yesterday was nothing like what we saw under Warnock, especially in his latter days with us, they may be "his players" , but we are not " his team" because the current manager is getting a lot more out of them than our former one did.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/...uture-18621711

Re: How wrong is this guy about Warnock?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That performance yesterday was nothing like what we saw under Warnock, especially in his latter days with us, they may be "his players" , but we are not " his team" because the current manager is getting a lot more out of them than our former one did.

I'm not sure the person who wrote it was actually there. For a game I feared might be like a 90 minute baseline rally, both sides in fairness passed the ball around.

The second "comment" is typical of so many I'd heard and read from many City fans during Warnock's time with us.

We still do lots of things we did under Warnock. There's lots of elements you saw that with
    I think its very much false expectations, what Warnock did here was a massive surprise in a short space of time.

I'm not going to slag him off to much as there's plenty on here who will. I feel we would have improved under NW, maybe not to the extent of what Harris has done. Under our promotion season felt we were direct but played so good stuff when needed to.

I can't see Boro doing what we did with the current set up.

Harris has inherited Warnock's players who were bought for a set purpose that they didn't necessarily like playing. He has tweaked Warnock's system so that the full backs maraud well into the opposition half, the centre-forward has a little more support and the back four are playing as a well drilled unit.

But what I see is that City players are ENJOYING playing this way. The shackles are off. There is no man-marking. The manager hasn't taken against any players. And many (such as Bennett, Hoilett and Tomlin) are being allowed to express themselves.

In contrast, 'Boro are the same awful, slow, ponderous, muscle-bound team that turned up at the CCS earlier in the season. They are a hard watch and Warnock has had to work with the players he inherited. But he's obviously found it difficult to impose his style on these plodders. The usual Warnock tactic at throw ins was missing, they were ineffectual at set pieces (especially corners) and there was no discernable pattern of play.

Has Warnock not only put on significant weight, but also grown too old to stomach yet another fight? Has he been deeply damaged by the Salah affair - because I still harbour a suspicion that there is stuff swirling around involving him about which we are unaware.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Boro would not have seen the same performance from us had Warnock been in charge. He would have had the players man-marking, that would have probably seen the likes of Morrison and Nelson being dragged out of position, that certainly doesn't happen under Harris.

I don't recall one long throw-in from us during the game - Warnock would have had Vaulks (that's if he would pick him in the first place) working like a windmill on overdrive with attempted long throws!
    Warnock also had the annoying habit of pulling off at least one baffling team selection per game, so I wouldn't have ruled him out starting with Flint to "nullify their tall players at set-pieces".

Imagine in that empty stadium how far the sound of Warnock berating Josh Murphy to track back would have carried. Warnock had his favourites, not least of all Paterson, so it's probably fair to say that Glatzel, who had arguably his best all-round game for us, wouldn't have started.

Players making space for themselves to receive a ball that they'd just passed a moment earlier; a midfield that won the midfield battles and then distributed the ball intelligently. I could go on...