+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: Should prison sentences be longer?

  1. #1

    Should prison sentences be longer?

    https://news.sky.com/story/pc-harper-killing-three-teenagers-jailed-over-police-officers-death-12039630

    Pretty light sentences considering

  2. #2

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    For crimes of violence and burglary, YES.

    Unless, of course it is for self defence or you are defending your home from intruders, then no prosecution whatsoever.

  3. #3

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    https://news.sky.com/story/pc-harper-killing-three-teenagers-jailed-over-police-officers-death-12039630

    Pretty light sentences considering
    I reckon sentences are as long as the government are prepared to pay for. There aren't many spaces in prisons by all accounts. That must have a bearing.

  4. #4

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    I think I am right in saying our sentences are longer than many European countries anyway.
    The case mentioned was particularly bad. These lads were very lucky not to be convicted of murder which would have been an automatic life sentence.

  5. #5

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Read that they were laughing and joking during the trial, sickening for the victims family. Can only hope big Steve takes a fancy to them.

  6. #6

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Read that they were laughing and joking during the trial, sickening for the victims family. Can only hope big Steve takes a fancy to them.
    Desperately sad story. Imho they are extremely fortunate to escape with these sentences.

  7. #7

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Hope the PM steps in parents have written to him , their smiling faces after being cleared of murder was the worse thing I've seen for such a long time kants

  8. #8

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    https://news.sky.com/story/pc-harper-killing-three-teenagers-jailed-over-police-officers-death-12039630

    Pretty light sentences considering
    Scumbags knew what they’d done....I guess they will get out after this sentence, some poor bugger will come into their path and they will be back in jail again....

  9. #9

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    I've been on a jury where the situation was really tricky . We came to the right answer eventually after a long deliberation.
    You have to be sure beyond reasonable doubt and clearly this jury just couldn't be, having sat through several weeks of evidence. Remember a murder conviction is a big deal even for scum like this.

  10. #10
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,094

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Hope the PM steps in parents have written to him , their smiling faces after being cleared of murder was the worse thing I've seen for such a long time kants
    What do you hope the Prime Minister 'steps in' to do?

  11. #11

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I think I am right in saying our sentences are longer than many European countries anyway.
    The case mentioned was particularly bad. These lads were very lucky not to be convicted of murder which would have been an automatic life sentence.
    i think you may be right.
    here in Sweden its a joke.
    Rapists get very light sentences two years and maybe have to pay the victim compensation often a sum like 8-9k quid.

  12. #12

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    https://news.sky.com/story/pc-harper-killing-three-teenagers-jailed-over-police-officers-death-12039630

    Pretty light sentences considering
    No.

  13. #13

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    As far as I know, anybody can write to the Attorney General and ask for the sentence to be looked at, if they feel it’s too lenient. Those guys obviously didn’t set out to murder PC Harper, but I feel any action leading to the death of a police officer, should be given a minimum sentence, without parole, of say 20 years. Were these guys given, a minimum sentence or will be be out in half of their time?

  14. #14

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    no, rehabilitation should be better.

  15. #15

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    I dont think the killing of a police officer is any different to the killing of a nurse or some bloke down the road .

    I definitely however think we should have heavier prison sentences for violent crime including serious assaults , armed robbery , manslaughter and murder

    Run of the mill murder .....twenty years minimum

    A wife kills her husband after years of beatings ? Well if she picks up a kitchen blade in a fit of fear she will probably be convicted of manslaughter and get five years and thats probably too much .

    But if she goes out and buys a knife and kills him she gets done for murder ?

    Its all up the spout

    These lads , its obviously been concluded there was not enough evidence to convict them of murder but there was manslaughter . You can get life for manslaughter , they certainly deserve it .

  16. #16

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I dont think the killing of a police officer is any different to the killing of a nurse or some bloke down the road .

    I definitely however think we should have heavier prison sentences for violent crime including serious assaults , armed robbery , manslaughter and murder

    Run of the mill murder .....twenty years minimum

    A wife kills her husband after years of beatings ? Well if she picks up a kitchen blade in a fit of fear she will probably be convicted of manslaughter and get five years and thats probably too much .

    But if she goes out and buys a knife and kills him she gets done for murder ?

    Its all up the spout

    These lads , its obviously been concluded there was not enough evidence to convict them of murder but there was manslaughter . You can get life for manslaughter , they certainly deserve it .
    Do the passengers deserve life? Driver yes, passengers no for me.

  17. #17

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Do the passengers deserve life? Driver yes, passengers no for me.
    in America, that great country , they have a charge accessory to murder

    I think the driver got 16 years for manslaughter , the passengers 13 , thats not far off the maximum the judge could give

    Awful way to die though , if they had been convicted of murder I am sure the driver would have been looking at 25 years

    Tossers

  18. #18

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    What do you hope the Prime Minister 'steps in' to do?
    Nothing id read she had I have sympathy for her and I should imagine its a solace moment for her .

    I think the Home Secretary or Attorney General has some powers though : ""Either side in a criminal case may appeal with respect to the sentence that is imposed after a guilty verdict.""

    Hopefully you agree it might happen as police lives matter

  19. #19

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    in America, that great country , they have a charge accessory to murder

    I think the driver got 16 years for manslaughter , the passengers 13 , thats not far off the maximum the judge could give

    Awful way to die though , if they had been convicted of murder I am sure the driver would have been looking at 25 years

    Tossers
    no street demonstrations though for this death

  20. #20
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,094

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Nothing id read she had I have sympathy for her and I should imagine its a solace moment for her .

    I think the Home Secretary or Attorney General has some powers though : ""Either side in a criminal case may appeal with respect to the sentence that is imposed after a guilty verdict.""

    Hopefully you agree it might happen as police lives matter
    What on earth are you on about? Of course either side has the right to appeal after a verdict - but I do not want the Prime Minister to have the power to personally intervene in a criminal trial. An independent judiciary is there for a reason.

    'Its a solace moment for her'....'Police lives matter'....? Back to your usual agenda with a dash of gibberish?

  21. #21

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    no street demonstrations though for this death
    nothing stopping you is there? get out there if you care, be the change you want to see in the world rather than take cheapshots from your sofa at people who are actually trying to do something about the change they want to see in theirs

  22. #22

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    I can see what wasn't a murder trial, there's obviously a panic after an accident has happened.

    Sentences should be much harsher especially for multiple offenders.
    Thing is if you know youre unlikely to see the light of day again after doing something what's to stop you doing everything in your power to escape including multiple homicides.

  23. #23

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    [QUOTE=life on mars;5104337]no street demonstrations though for this

    You should start one then

  24. #24
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    8,544

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Do the passengers deserve life? Driver yes, passengers no for me.
    I think you'll find that as they committed the burglary or whatever together then they are jointly and separately responsible foi all the actions of everyone concerned. Witness Bentley and Craig.

  25. #25
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    8,544

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I dont think the killing of a police officer is any different to the killing of a nurse or some bloke down the road .

    I definitely however think we should have heavier prison sentences for violent crime including serious assaults , armed robbery , manslaughter and murder

    Run of the mill murder .....twenty years minimum

    A wife kills her husband after years of beatings ? Well if she picks up a kitchen blade in a fit of fear she will probably be convicted of manslaughter and get five years and thats probably too much .

    But if she goes out and buys a knife and kills him she gets done for murder ?

    Its all up the spout

    These lads , its obviously been concluded there was not enough evidence to convict them of murder but there was manslaughter . You can get life for manslaughter , they certainly deserve it .
    That is why so many killings by wives occur in the kitchen. Anger/fear, grab a knife, red mist. Done!!

    But from what you say I assume that if a woman takes a knife and conceals it on her person and then goes out into the street, goes to a shop and stabs 3 people them she is guilty of premeditation and deserves a harsh sentence. Or maybe not!

  26. #26

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    What on earth are you on about? Of course either side has the right to appeal after a verdict - but I do not want the Prime Minister to have the power to personally intervene in a criminal trial. An independent judiciary is there for a reason.

    'Its a solace moment for her'....'Police lives matter'....? Back to your usual agenda with a dash of gibberish?
    Do police lives matter? 30,000 of them assaulted in 2018/19

  27. #27

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Do police lives matter? 30,000 of them assaulted in 2018/19
    Do they matter to you? Do they matter enough for you to start or join a protest because you feel that no one's listening to you and the police's fears and you're sick of them being assaulted?

    Because if they do matter enough to you, you've got a public forum here - start a thread saying that you'll be outside City Hall this time next week protesting assaults against police officers, start a petition, join Facebook/Twitter, create groups and try and draw attention to it.

    Or are you just going to whataboutwhatabout on a messageboard because you don't really care about police lives in any real sense at all?

  28. #28

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That is why so many killings by wives occur in the kitchen. Anger/fear, grab a knife, red mist. Done!!

    But from what you say I assume that if a woman takes a knife and conceals it on her person and then goes out into the street, goes to a shop and stabs 3 people them she is guilty of premeditation and deserves a harsh sentence. Or maybe not!
    Thats up to the court to decide

    The case in the valleys recently will be heard in front of a crown court and a jury

    If she took the knife from her home , went into the shop , stabbed three people with the intent of murdering them .......she killed one man and injured two others ......and the defence team fail to convince the court that she was unwell then she's going to be going to prison for a very long time , i think thats right and proper , send her down

    But if she was clearly ill at the time of the attack and the court concludes that to be the case after psychiatric reports then she will probably be detained in a secure psychiatric hospital

    Which again is the right outcome


    But we don't know much about this case at the moment , except for Internet gossip

  29. #29

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Do they matter to you? Do they matter enough for you to start or join a protest because you feel that no one's listening to you and the police's fears and you're sick of them being assaulted?

    Because if they do matter enough to you, you've got a public forum here - start a thread saying that you'll be outside City Hall this time next week protesting assaults against police officers, start a petition, join Facebook/Twitter, create groups and try and draw attention to it.

    Or are you just going to whataboutwhatabout on a messageboard because you don't really care about police lives in any real sense at all?
    the Internet is full of petitions about this poor guy who was killed by these three low lifes

    The thing is by joining the police , which you don't have to join , you know that firstly you are , apart from gas or a taser , unlikely to be armed and apart from most people you deal with , you are going to be coming into contact with violent people.

    And wether you are armed or not , this is , and always has been part of the job

    Its shameful that this decent young man has lost his life

    I remember the officer killed in the Tottenham riots , the coppers shot in Leeds by that American body builder bloke , the police woman killed outside the Iranian embassy and this poor young guy . There was also the horrific murder of two officers in Bradford and Dale Cregan who killed two female police officers in Manchester

    But I also know that mental health support workers have been attacked or killed by paranoid schizophrenics , nurses punched and kicked in hospital waiting rooms by pissed up arseholes and traffic wardens beaten senseless simply for issuing a ticket . Paramedics attacked trying to help injured people and firefighters being lured to a deliberate fire then bricked

    The police officers , in general , have armed back up , tasers , gas , batons etc

    Nurses , firefighters , mental health workers have no such protection

    I am all for tougher sentences where appropriate but this police lives matter sounds like something straight out of Britain First , that far right bunch of idiots.

    There is an online petition to push the home Secretary to look at the case and sentencing of these three tossers .....hopefully it will be legal people dealing with it and not her , she's an idiot .....so I think people concerned about this sentencing .......and I think it appears to be light .......should sign that . Its been instigated and signed by the officers family .

  30. #30

    Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

    great news

    'ABOMINABLE INJUSTICE'*PC Andrew Harper’s widow writes emotional letter to Boris Johnson demanding RETRIAL after teens cleared of murder


    PC Andrew Harper: Attorney General to review killers' sentences

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-53650449

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •