+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 91

Thread: Do you like going to the pub ?

  1. #1

    Do you like going to the pub ?

    bar , etc ?

    I dont

    Apart from the eye candy most pubs are overpriced

    I can't stand them on rugby International day

    And in the middle of the week the bar seems to be propped up by boring blokes who have just finished work and are having a pint , or three , before going home or in the case of the really interesting types , spending the whole evening boring the pants off everybody with their life stories or jokes or ideas to bring back hanging

    I would rather go and see a band

  2. #2

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    I don't really go to the pub but don't mind now and again. They're dying on there arse in a lot of areas, particularly in working class parts of the city, the traditional working mans boozer, life has changed for men, child care, responsibility and both parents working, plus the cost. A lot of blokes that i know who have spent plenty of their time in the boozer have paid the price in other ways.

  3. #3

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    bar , etc ?

    I dont

    Apart from the eye candy most pubs are overpriced

    I can't stand them on rugby International day

    And in the middle of the week the bar seems to be propped up by boring blokes who have just finished work and are having a pint , or three , before going home or in the case of the really interesting types , spending the whole evening boring the pants off everybody with their life stories or jokes or ideas to bring back hanging

    I would rather go and see a band
    Ah, but what about a band in a pub?

  4. #4

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ah, but what about a band in a pub?
    I remember the Royal Oak used to put bands on in the Annex? connected to the pub. Looks like it hasn't been used for years.

  5. #5

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ah, but what about a band in a pub?
    Now you are talking

  6. #6

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't really go to the pub but don't mind now and again. They're dying on there arse in a lot of areas, particularly in working class parts of the city, the traditional working mans boozer, life has changed for men, child care, responsibility and both parents working, plus the cost. A lot of blokes that i know who have spent plenty of their time in the boozer have paid the price in other ways.
    I enjoy the pub pre and post match, it’s great to have a chat about what we’re about to see and then have a moan later about what we’ve seen. Me and the missus did go to a pub last night, well early evening, it was a lovely change after recent times. Sat outside in a nice area, had a really good meal, it was excellent. Couple of pints with it, really enjoyed it, only out from 5pm-8pm, will be back there again soon. I do miss the proper pub atmosphere on a match day, home or away, though.

  7. #7

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I remember the Royal Oak used to put bands on in the Annex? connected to the pub. Looks like it hasn't been used for years.
    is that royal oak newport Road?

  8. #8

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't really go to the pub but don't mind now and again. They're dying on there arse in a lot of areas, particularly in working class parts of the city, the traditional working mans boozer, life has changed for men, child care, responsibility and both parents working, plus the cost. A lot of blokes that i know who have spent plenty of their time in the boozer have paid the price in other ways.
    Really stunning woman lives by me , early forties , shes in the pub all the time and she gets pissed up , god knows what state her liver is in

    She's a real sort , its such a shame

    I may try and convert her

  9. #9

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I enjoy the pub pre and post match, it’s great to have a chat about what we’re about to see and then have a moan later about what we’ve seen. Me and the missus did go to a pub last night, well early evening, it was a lovely change after recent times. Sat outside in a nice area, had a really good meal, it was excellent. Couple of pints with it, really enjoyed it, only out from 5pm-8pm, will be back there again soon. I do miss the proper pub atmosphere on a match day, home or away, though.
    Sounds great. I recall you saying that you're not a home drinker, i commend your actions, surely having a pint is a social thing, all part of a wider thing? Sitting in the house supping while the ****ing washing machine is singing away sounds bloody awful. I used to pay a lot of football and used to go back to the pub for an hour or so after the game, never really a drinker but enjoyed the piss taking and camaraderie, that seems lost these days.

  10. #10

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    is that royal oak newport Road?
    That's the one. Used to have a lot of local bands on. Gunman probably went there during his 'New Wave' phase.

  11. #11

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Yes.


    If you aren't a miserable bastard those things you mention can be ignored, and you can make your own lovely time of it.

  12. #12

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Love the pub.
    Usually only go once a week though.
    Just got back from a run to shake off the 8 pints from yesterday.

  13. #13

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I remember the Royal Oak used to put bands on in the Annex? connected to the pub. Looks like it hasn't been used for years.

    It hasn’t recently, used to be jumping there years ago, great, earthy atmosphere. This is the type of thing I was referring to in another thread, the social scene was a lot better in the past. Everyone catered for, bands in back rooms of pubs, public bars for the regular boozers, lounge bars for a quieter night out with the wife, then there were the social/working clubs with their concert rooms, a bit of bingo and then a middle of the road turn. If you wanted a meal you’d go to a restaurant or a designated room in a pub, I’m not a fan of eating a meal in the bar of a pub, I prefer a dedicated dining area. Also pubs provided a breeding ground for starting off sports teams, the lads getting together and joining the Cardiff & District or Combination Leagues, sadly diminished now. Progress, I s’pose, but is it? Its all a knock on effect, parks overgrown now, no posts up, very few skittle alleys, community spirit waning. Times have changed, even more so lately, but for the better hmmmmmmmm?

  14. #14

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ah, but what about a band in a pub?
    I can't stand bands in pubs. One minute you're enjoying a quiet drink and chatting with friends, the next you've some shitty band blasting bad covers and talking between every song. Later.

  15. #15

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Love the pub.
    Usually only go once a week though.
    Just got back from a run to shake off the 8 pints from yesterday.
    That's about 1700 calories, You'd need to run about 14 miles to shift that-Just saying

  16. #16

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's about 1700 calories, You'd need to run about 14 miles to shift that-Just saying
    No wonder the weight doesn't drop off me

  17. #17

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's about 1700 calories, You'd need to run about 14 miles to shift that-Just saying
    Pubs are about 14 miles apart nowadays, could merge the two in a pub crawl

  18. #18

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It hasn’t recently, used to be jumping there years ago, great, earthy atmosphere. This is the type of thing I was referring to in another thread, the social scene was a lot better in the past. Everyone catered for, bands in back rooms of pubs, public bars for the regular boozers, lounge bars for a quieter night out with the wife, then there were the social/working clubs with their concert rooms, a bit of bingo and then a middle of the road turn. If you wanted a meal you’d go to a restaurant or a designated room in a pub, I’m not a fan of eating a meal in the bar of a pub, I prefer a dedicated dining area. Also pubs provided a breeding ground for starting off sports teams, the lads getting together and joining the Cardiff & District or Combination Leagues, sadly diminished now. Progress, I s’pose, but is it? Its all a knock on effect, parks overgrown now, no posts up, very few skittle alleys, community spirit waning. Times have changed, even more so lately, but for the better hmmmmmmmm?
    Yup, working class culture has been wiped out for a number of reasons, traditional jobs in industry and manufacturing has had a huge knock on effect. I'd say that making the poor even poorer thus creating an underclass has proved catastrophic for the working class.

  19. #19

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Pubs are about 14 miles apart nowadays, could merge the two in a pub crawl
    The white middle class would be all over that, offset your drinking binge! they'd create an app and everything.

  20. #20

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yes.


    If you aren't a miserable bastard those things you mention can be ignored, and you can make your own lovely time of it.
    The trouble with pubs is the alcohol and its difficult to avoid in a pub

    Alcohol turns interesting people into boring arseholes and drunken arseholes tend to turn up in pubs

    I wish they would drink in pubs

    I prefer to go to community centres and have conversations with people who are not drunk

    Or a book club at the local library

    I like the idea of alcohol free pubs

    You don't get many fights where alcohol isn't served

  21. #21

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's the one. Used to have a lot of local bands on. Gunman probably went there during his 'New Wave' phase.
    is that the one with all the boxing stuff on the wall and a cardiff city shirt framed ?

    I went in there a few times , thought it was a bit edgey

  22. #22

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    No wonder the weight doesn't drop off me
    If that's all he had that day then he's quids in-As long as he didn't eat any food, he's under his Daily calorie in take

  23. #23

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    is that the one with all the boxing stuff on the wall and a cardiff city shirt framed ?

    I went in there a few times , thought it was a bit edgey
    yup, boxing gym upstairs, a lot of gypsy lads would get in there. I went a few times when i was a teenager until this gypsy kid from Shirenewton beat the shit out of me in a 1 minute sparring round....

  24. #24

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It hasnít recently, used to be jumping there years ago, great, earthy atmosphere. This is the type of thing I was referring to in another thread, the social scene was a lot better in the past. Everyone catered for, bands in back rooms of pubs, public bars for the regular boozers, lounge bars for a quieter night out with the wife, then there were the social/working clubs with their concert rooms, a bit of bingo and then a middle of the road turn. If you wanted a meal youíd go to a restaurant or a designated room in a pub, Iím not a fan of eating a meal in the bar of a pub, I prefer a dedicated dining area. Also pubs provided a breeding ground for starting off sports teams, the lads getting together and joining the Cardiff & District or Combination Leagues, sadly diminished now. Progress, I sípose, but is it? Its all a knock on effect, parks overgrown now, no posts up, very few skittle alleys, community spirit waning. Times have changed, even more so lately, but for the better hmmmmmmmm?
    Good post. We've lost many pubs and clubs in Barry that used to run football teams over the last decade or so. The Admiral, Three Bells, Island Marine as well as social clubs like Services Social, Seaview and The Dockers have all gone. In the early 2000's there were nearly 50 local league sides and 4 divisions, last year just over 20 and in 2 divisions.

  25. #25

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If that's all he had that day then he's quids in-As long as he didn't eat any food, he's under his Daily calorie in take


    Probably doubtful though, hard not to eat when you've had a drink in my experience.

  26. #26

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    yup, boxing gym upstairs, a lot of gypsy lads would get in there. I went a few times when i was a teenager until this gypsy kid from Shirenewton beat the shit out of me in a 1 minute sparring round....
    Shirenewton, where they drive to the pub and have 8 or more pints and drive home. Lovely place.

  27. #27

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, working class culture has been wiped out for a number of reasons, traditional jobs in industry and manufacturing has had a huge knock on effect. I'd say that making the poor even poorer thus creating an underclass has proved catastrophic for the working class.
    Good analogy that ‘making the poor even poorer’, it may be rose tinted glasses but years ago all blokes seemed to have a couple of bob over for a few pints with mates (whether that was detrimental to the household income, I don’t know? My old man always enjoyed a pint but never to our cost). I’d hate to be judgemental but has an underclass been created now, an underclass that could never afford the spiralling cost of nights out or treating their kids to the attractions available? So they drink cheap booze at home, never having the chance of mixing in the local and forging some community spirit. You mention that it was a bit dodgy growing up years ago but that local pub had a lot to do with calming that. It was a melting pot of age groups and the majority of good diluted the minority of bad, the older generation more or less kept the young tearaways in control because, more often than not, a youngster playing up would have his old man with his mates in the local telling them to ‘knock it off’. None of that now, people hardly know the other folk in their area.

  28. #28

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    yup, boxing gym upstairs, a lot of gypsy lads would get in there. I went a few times when i was a teenager until this gypsy kid from Shirenewton beat the shit out of me in a 1 minute sparring round....
    landlady when I went in there sounded like an Irish traveller , she looked tasty with her fists

  29. #29

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Shirenewton, where they drive to the pub and have 8 or more pints and drive home. Lovely place.
    Great, innit! I do some work down there, they're alright, funny as ****, dogs, chickens and all sorts roaming around.

  30. #30

    Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    landlady when I went in there sounded like an Irish traveller , she looked tasty with her fists

    Kitty, she went to the Cambrian afterwards, renamed it Kitty Flynn's.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •